backing up and restoring pst files / no calendar or contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mgh24

I am trying to get setup with Outlook at home. I have used it at work before. First thing I wanted to know was how to back up and restore.

I found this link

Moving Outlook to a New Computer

I followed these instructions, and was able to get mail, and folders I had created for mail, but no contacts or calendar entries.

I am frankly surprised that something this important is this difficult to do. Couldn't there be a simple export/import, or backup/restore?

That aside, any suggestions on how to backup and restore everything in Outlook? As I say, I was able to get email restored using the pst file.

Thanks for any help.

Using office 2010, and XP. I want to upgrade to WIN 7, but don't want to start from scratch with outlook. I have configured outlook manually to retrieve a gmail account.

R

Russ Valentine

Had you followed those instructions using the correct data file, you would have all your data, Contacts and Calendar included. You either did not use the correct file or were using a mail account type that stores Contacts and Calendar separately. State your mail account type, precisely what you did, and how you ensured you were using the correct data file. Note: " gmail" is not a mail account type.Russ Valentine

M

mgh24

Well you will have to help me out here, I do not know all the different kinds of email accounts, and was unaware that gmail had more than one.

I configured the account manually, POP3 So I entered incoming mail server, and outgoing mail server.

My first attempt was to go to new items / more items / outlook data file. I named and saved the file. The second and more successful try, I just went to the outlook folder that was created in my documents, and used the pst file that was automatically created.

Thanks for the reply

M

mgh24

I forgot to mention that I had imported my contacts using a cvs file earlier, so my contacts were available for me to use before I copied the pst file.

R

Russ Valentine

Wow. These are some pretty inconsistent posts. First you say you " followed the instructions" at

Moving Outlook to a New Computer

Then you reveal that you did nothing of the kind. Your mail account type is POP3. Beyond that, we know nothing. Please provide an accurate and complete account of what you actually did. If you can't, I would suggest actually following the instructions in the link you said you were using.

Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Backing Up Exchange Calendar Using Outlook 13
abnet Advice required re backing up .ost and .pst files Using Outlook 7
V Carbonite not backing up .ost files Using Outlook 7
T Backing Up My .pst File Using Outlook 3
Fozzie Bear Backing up Exchange Emails Exchange Server Administration 2
N Backing Up Navigation Pane Customizations - WinXP Using Outlook 11
R Backing up Outlook w/ Exchange settings Using Outlook 2
S Set up Outlook 2010 by backing up pst files, incoming mail fine but outgoing originally gave me the Using Outlook 1
H Backing up Outlook 2007 to .pst file. Using Outlook 14
I backing up outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
T Error 'Database msdb cannot be opened' when backing up BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
L Restoring Outlook from backup of OST Using Outlook 5
Diane Poremsky Restoring BCM Database After Upgrading Windows New Slipstick.com Articles 0
B Restoring PST files won't work Using Outlook 1
P Restoring old sbb database in existing one BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
B Restoring deleted pst file Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010/IMAP - Restoring from system tray changes to unused ibox.... Using Outlook 1
N Restoring Outlook Calendar after iCloud copy Using Outlook 1
B Restoring Deleted Recurring Event AND Notes Using Outlook 8
C Restoring who tasks were assinged to Using Outlook 2
B Restoring Outlook 2000 messages Using Outlook 4
G Restoring emails Using Outlook 4
H Problems restoring .PST files for multiple IMAP accounts Using Outlook 6
S Restoring Outlook to another drive after Windows crashed Using Outlook 2
W Restoring deleted address book Using Outlook 2
S Restoring Database to BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
A BCM 2007 restoring database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
P Restoring bcm BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
S Restoring BCM from a Back-up BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
B Can I create a local PST file for SPAM on a drive that is usually disconnected? Using Outlook 3
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
K Disabling import/export button to restrict PST creation Using Outlook 3
K Export Folder to PST Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 PST Report Using Outlook 1
P PST file is getting huge under POP 3 Using Outlook 2
M Export-Import .pst file problems Using Outlook 2
L Cannot open PST file for first session each day Using Outlook 6
David in Mississippi New (Feb 2020) install of Outlook 365 - Cannot specify PST for different accounts Using Outlook 0
GregS Outlook 2016 OST thinks it is PST? Using Outlook 1
N .pst archive from work will not open/import on Microsoft 365 Exchange Server Administration 0
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
J Export Zimbra to Outlook PST Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
D Can Exchange Admin Center create a pst for users email/contacts/calendar? Exchange Server Administration 0
S What's in a PST file? Using Outlook 1
N VBA to delete duplicates by message-id on common pst for 2 or more emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Copy and replace not update contact in another pst Using Outlook 0
T Cannot remove needless PST Using Outlook 1
N pst files are recreating automaticaly and cannot be deleted Using Outlook 5
C Export NSF Lotus Notes files in Outlook PST format? Using Outlook 1