Backing up Outlook w/ Exchange settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock

Hi. I'm having some probes backing up Outlook. I am getting a new computer and need to backup my inbox, sent mail, contacts, etc.. Usually this has been an easy process for me as I have done the File, import/export thing to a .pst file, etc.. However, I can't do it this way because the 'Import and export' selection indoor the File menu is frayed out. I wonder if this is because I connect to an Exchange server to get my email. Anyhow, does anyone know how I might be able to back up my Outlook data to a hard drive?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Import/Export should still be available unless you are on a corp network and the admin set a policy to prevent export.

If you are connecting to Exchange and using the Exchange mailbox for the message store, there is nothing to back up - when you reconnect to the server, you'll re-download everything. If you use a local personal folder (pst) you just need to copy the pst to back it up. Go to File, Data file management - you can see the data files there. If using an ost, no need to export and if using a pst, select the pst and choose Open folder button - this will open Windows explorer so you can copy the pst (after you close outlook).

If you want to backup the contents of an ost for safe-keeping, Add a pst file using the File, Data file management dialog and copy the calendar and contacts to it, plus any often folders you need backed up.

Rock

Import/Export should still be available unless you are on a corp network and the admin set a policy to prevent export.

If you are connecting to Exchange and using the Exchange mailbox for the message store, there is nothing to back up - when you reconnect to the server, you'll re-download everything. If you use a local personal folder (pst) you just need to copy the pst to back it up. Go to File, Data file management - you can see the data files there. If using an ost, no need to export and if using a pst, select the pst and choose Open folder button - this will open Windows explorer so you can copy the pst (after you close outlook).

If you want to backup the contents of an ost for safe-keeping, Add a pst file using the File, Data file management dialog and copy the calendar and contacts to it, plus any often folders you need backed up.
Thanks for the advice. I am using Outlook 2007 and I am connecting to an Exchange server, but I am not sure if the Exchange mailbox is set for message store. I am a college student, actually recently graduated. I just want to back up all my Outlook data before the school turns off our accounts. I used to do the Import/Export method, but that option is now grayed out, so maybe the school’s tech admin has changed it to prevent export. Further complicating issues is that my computer is on the fringe, but at least I can still run in safe mode and I think I can access all my files.

Can I still backup my Outlook data? I am not familiar with OST. Nonetheless, I did as you suggested and went to the File > Data File Management. There I found folders for the following… Archive Folders, Mailbox – username, and Personal Folders. I click on Open Folder and all the files within each of the folders listed are saved as a PST, with the exception of the Mailbox folder. Strangely, the file saved in the Mailbox – username folder is saved as an OST.

In summary…

Archive Folders – ‘archive.pst’

Mailbox-username – ‘outlook0.ost’

Personal Folders – ‘Outlook.pst’

Status
Not open for further replies.