outlook 2003 folders under inbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

vain4

A user on our exchange 2003 mail system is using outlook 2003. he created a bunch of folders under his inbox and has moved mail in these folders to sort mail.

his pc died and another was put in to replace it. he wasn't setup with a personal file location(.pst file) so I assumed the folders he was talking about would be on the new machine when we pointed his new client at the exchange server. But I cannot find these folders he is talking about. the hard drive for the old machine is still available but i cannot seem to find where these folders are that he talks about.

any help would be appreciated

Cathy Rhone

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
Are you sure they were under his Mailbox's Inbox? It sounds like they were in a pst - if so, and if he used the default location, they are in the local appdata folder under the user account - at \microsoft\outlook - http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/filepath.htm has the complete paths for both xp and win7/vista. Oh, and don't forget to unhide them - the path is all hidden folders.

vain4

I almost postitve that the folders I am looking for have been created under the inbox.

I wish it was in a .pst file but it is not. there is a archive.pst in that location but I opened it in outlook and it's just an archive of sent items. there is an outlook.ost file there that is huge! (about 2GB) maybe what i'm looking for is in there? i'm trying to see how i can open this file and see the contents or maybe try to convert it to a .pst somehow.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
While they could be in the ost, unless they were added right before the crash, they would have synced back to the server. If he was working offline, they wouldn't sync back until he went online, but as soon as he did, they'd start syncing. You should at least see some of the folders and mail in the mailbox on the server.

There are ost recovery tools - see http://www.slipstick.com/problems/p...ange-offline-file-ost-to-a-personal-file-pst/ - I recommend trying either Adv Exchange Recovery at the top or Stellar's tool. (Both have free trials - i *think* the trials will show you the full folder tree but only 5 messages.)

The 2GB ost should not be an issue - Outlook 2003 supports unicode ost files that can grow to 1TB. Outlook creates unicode by default if the server supports it. (Ex 2003 does.) I forget if Outlook makes you create a new ost when upgrading from an older one - so if his Outlook was upgraded from an older version, its possible its an ANSI ost with a limit of just under 2GB. If this is the case, the recovery software will fix it. Outlook would have stopped working if the ost got too big though.

vain4

While they could be in the ost, unless they were added right before the crash, they would have synced back to the server. If he was working offline, they wouldn't sync back until he went online, but as soon as he did, they'd start syncing. You should at least see some of the folders and mail in the mailbox on the server.
he always works online so my guess is that the .ost file contains what I am looking for.

is there a way I can view the contents of his mailbox on the server without an outlook client?

vain4

Problem solved. it turns out the missing folders where created under an inbox just not the exchange server inbox. they where in a .pst file that was located on a server share not the users machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Duplicate folders in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 3
D Copying POP3 folders from Inbox to IMAP Inbox in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2003 deleted folders are autoarchiving Using Outlook 1
B Importing emails and email folders Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 2
S Views on frequently updated public folders in Outlook 2003 for many users Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2003 folders and sub folders Using Outlook 2
G extra copies of "Personal Folders" in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
L routing emails to different personal folders in outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
L Routing incoming emails to different personal folders in outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
H Recover Outlook 2003 personal folders, notes, contacts etc.. Using Outlook 1
M I have duplicte personal folders in outlook 2003. How do I remove one? Using Outlook 1
S Hotmail connector cant synchronise folders. WinXP/ outlook 2003 Using Outlook 5
D export contacts in Outlook 2003 using Windows 7 - no folders Using Outlook 10
T Outlook 2003 - Deleted contact folders still appear in address book Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Outlook 2003 email sending & receiving suddenly stopped working Using Outlook 3
H Outlook 2003 find by "has attachment" Using Outlook 1
glnz How set up new IMAP on Outlook-Office 365 and merge in pst from Outlook 2003 for same two email accounts? Using Outlook 5
P Import Categories from Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 8
V Outlook 2003 problem with Windows 10 Creators Update 1709 Using Outlook 0
M Outlook 2003 pictures - some visible, some not Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2013 pst file Using Outlook 5
O Memory Leak in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 3
W Changing looks of emails in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 0
O Outlook 2003 can't send, but settings seem OK Using Outlook 1
P URL Hyperlink not working correctly in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 10
O Outlook 2003 can't open contacts. Using Outlook 2
O Promoting Outlook 2003 User Templates Using Outlook 1
O W-a-a-y too many PSTs (Outlook 2003) Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 2003-2010 PST Field Editor Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2003 - Do I need a new profile? Using Outlook 2
E Want to Import Outlook 2003 pst files to later version Using Outlook 6
A error message outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
B Seeking advice now Outlook 2003 is unsupported by Exchange Using Outlook 4
O Change Debit to Credit in Outlook 2003? Using Outlook 1
J problems downloading POP3 emails to Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
G Outlook 2003 VBA Won't Run In Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Outlook 2003 - possible to recreate corrupt account? Using Outlook 3
Calvyn Outlook 2003 cannot import .vcs subject Using Outlook 1
T Query about one aspect of migrating .pst files from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 5
C Outlook 2003 contacts Using Outlook 1
G Configuring Outlook 2003 for Gmail with both pop3 & imap4 accounts Using Outlook 1
M HELP--Extract Data from 2003 outlook transfer to excel spreadsheet Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2003 editing problem Using Outlook 4
X Outlook 2003 not sending all of the new email message Using Outlook 1
2 How to use outlook 2003 calendar in always offline mode Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 2003 I need to move email to folder based on subject, using wild card Using Outlook 0
G outlook 2013 - Open In Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
A Exchange 2003 Outlook 2010 64 Bit- AutoDiscover Connection Err - Certificate Exchange Server Administration 9
T Use Outlook 2003 with Office 2013 Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2003 contact folder opend in scrolled down position Using Outlook 2