OL10 - Send To "Mail Recipient" doesn't go to default email account

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded from OL07 to OL10. I'm not sure I'll be sticking with OL10 based on the fact that when I right click on a file that I wish to email and select MAIL RECIPIENT, the attachment is attached to a new email but OL is trying to send it through my secondary, (Exchange), email account and not through my default, (POP), account. Can this be corrected or do I have no choice other than to go back to OL07? thanks.

I'll have to test this scenario, but the usual cause of the wrong from account is because Outlook chooses the From account based on the folders the mail is delivered to. In a case like this, it should go from the default account since you are outside of outlook. However, if the POP mail is delivered to Exchange mailbox, that could be confusing things.

It's possible you can save a custom form that was created with the pop account selected and use the method here: http://www.outlook-tips.net/tips/tip-467-send-to-revisited/ (I haven't tested this with Outlook 2010 and multiple accounts.)

I'll have to test this scenario, but the usual cause of the wrong from account is because Outlook chooses the From account based on the folders the mail is delivered to. In a case like this, it should go from the default account since you are outside of outlook. However, if the POP mail is delivered to Exchange mailbox, that could be confusing things.

It's possible you can save a custom form that was created with the pop account selected and use the method here: http://www.outlook-tips.net/tips/tip-467-send-to-revisited/ (I haven't tested this with Outlook 2010 and multiple accounts.)

Thank you for your reply. The frustrating part of this is that this USED to work perfectly fine in OL03 & 07. Why change this "feature" ??????????? It's insane!

I have no idea how to perform the procedure specified in your link.

The POP account is the Default account yet when I right click and SEND TO Mail Recipient, the file is attached to an Exchange, (Secondary account), email.

What is set as default on the data files tab? This is what is controlling the selection of the account. if you set it to a pst, it will use the pop account. (That can cause other issues though, since the default data file designates the default calendar.)

I'll test next with forms and see if it will work.

Yes, if you publish a form with the correct account selected, then create a send to shortcut that uses the form, it uses the account on the published form (will work for any account, not just default ones). Added befenit - the resulting messages is full featured - signatures and all.

Here is a rough video showing how to do it (I'm testing new recording software so its really rough)

http://outlooktutor.com/v/sendto.html

Thanks for the video link but it's WAY too confusing for me. for instance, the videographers OL email Ribbon has commands not found on mine. I have no idea how to add them.

What is set as default on the data files tab? This is what is controlling the selection of the account. if you set it to a pst, it will use the pop account. (That can cause other issues though, since the default data file designates the default calendar.)

I'll test next with forms and see if it will work.

My Exchange account is the only data file listed.

Ok, I'm getting there but not quite 100%. I follow the video but I receive an error when I actually try to "Send to" the new shortcut. The error is " The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using." This is what I typed in ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c /ipm.note.comcast /a"

Is that not correct?

Did i have the slash in /ipm.note.comcast? I made the same mistake when i was recording that quick video. It's suposed to be just /c ipm.note.comcast /a Sorry.

Thanks for your reply but I am still receiving the same error even after I edited the switch.. UGH.. Any ideas? I REALLY need and want this to work.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.note.comcast /a

command line looks fine - has quotes around the path, spaces between the switches. The only other thing is that the form is spelled correctly in the command line.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.note opens a new message form when i run it from the start menu. Same path with the /a tagged on works as a shortcut. Using Win7 64bit, Outlook 2010 32bit.

command line looks fine - has quotes around the path, spaces between the switches. The only other thing is that the form is spelled correctly in the command line.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.note opens a new message form when i run it from the start menu. Same path with the /a tagged on works as a shortcut. Using Win7 64bit, Outlook 2010 32bit.

Same here. Running the above works fine. Using "Send to" the above gives me the error. Also, when I successfully run the above, it is sent to the secondary, (Exchange), not the default, (POP), email address which is my original issue.

Just a thought but can I install OL2007 and run it alongside OL2010? Then somehow configure the :Send To" function to send an attachment to OL2007 and not OL2010?

No, you can't have two versions of Outlook installed unless you use Office 2010 home and business click to run.

Try making another custom form and saving it - it seems like the problem is that outlook can't find the form, since the switch works works with the default form (ipm.note).

ScreenShot001-2.jpg

Please see screenshot. I have done everything EXACTLY as you described but I still get the error when using SEND TO. If I send the "SEND TO" to my Desktop as a shortcut and then double click it, it works as it should. If I double click on it when it is in the SEND TO folder, again, it work as it should. I know I'm close but something isn't correct.

I figured it out! I kept doing the entire process over and over and over and over with the same command line error until I had a hunch to try to reboot AFTER completing the process but before trying to SEND TO. Sure enough that worked! Not sure why but you may want to add this VERY important last step to your instructional video. Now I right click on any file select SEND to , OUTLOOK and it sends to my Comcast - POP account as I wanted. Now, can anything be done to send a webpage link to this same comcast - POP account? Currently when I use IE or FF it defaults over to my secondary Exchange account. Thank SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Rebooting isn't a normal requirement - but i have no idea what was causing the problem or why reboot fixed it.

Re: links-the only thing that might work (and i haven't tried it for this, or used it in years- so it may not work at all) is a send script for IE - http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/send_link.htm - i don't know if its possible to add the from address or use a command line in the script. The same would apply to FF - you'd need to use a script or addin to force account selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.