Email button on ribbon defaulting to exchange when POP is default

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsl

Best answers
I have a client uses multiple pop accounts in addition to an Exchange account. He sends and receives all of his email through one default pop account, but everything is stored on the exchange (he uses 3 computers at one time when in the office. 1 desktop and 2 laptops).

I went and configured the pop account to stay as the default email account (done through registry edits). The email account tends to default to the exchange account when you select the email button on the ribbon within the Contact window.

I have not had this problem in OL 2003 or OL 2007. Only with OL 2010. Is there a fix to this?

Diane Poremsky

Best answers
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I have some macro workarounds at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2010/default_acct.asp - but if the plan is to send new messages to the selected contact, they'll need reworked to pick up the address. The builtin command will use the Exchange account, since it 'owns' the data file.

What reg edit did you use to set the pop account as default?

lsl

Best answers
I used the reg edit found here at Slipstick with adding the DWORD item NoTransportOrder.

Diane Poremsky

Best answers
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hmm. I hadn't considered that reg edit for the problem with outloko 2010's default account, will need to do a little testing with it.

Diane Poremsky

Best answers
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Had to referesh my memory on that regedit - it applies to multi-profiles i think, not multiple accounts in the profile.

lsl

Best answers
Thanks, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

With the edits, the pop account remains the default email account when sending new emails from the inbox. It is only when I select the email button in the ribbon, that the email defaults back to the exchange account.

Diane Poremsky

Best answers
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'm going to have to boot an SBS system and check it out - its been so long since i wrote the solution that i forget exactly how it works and will need to try it. But, my initial thought is that it won't affect how outlook 2010 handles the accounts because of the changes in how 2010 handles accounts.

lsl

Best answers
Well I think your right. I had the same exact discussion with my client. I said I wouldn't hold out for a solution. Besides, I hate always modifying OL through regedits. Seems like forcing a square peg through a round hole, plus I can never remember exactly what or why an edit was was done (years after it was done). If it can't be configured out of the box, I would prefer to see VB solution.

Thanks for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.