Email button on ribbon defaulting to exchange when POP is default

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsl

I have a client uses multiple pop accounts in addition to an Exchange account. He sends and receives all of his email through one default pop account, but everything is stored on the exchange (he uses 3 computers at one time when in the office. 1 desktop and 2 laptops).

I went and configured the pop account to stay as the default email account (done through registry edits). The email account tends to default to the exchange account when you select the email button on the ribbon within the Contact window.

I have not had this problem in OL 2003 or OL 2007. Only with OL 2010. Is there a fix to this?

I have some macro workarounds at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2010/default_acct.asp - but if the plan is to send new messages to the selected contact, they'll need reworked to pick up the address. The builtin command will use the Exchange account, since it 'owns' the data file.

What reg edit did you use to set the pop account as default?

I used the reg edit found here at Slipstick with adding the DWORD item NoTransportOrder.

Hmm. I hadn't considered that reg edit for the problem with outloko 2010's default account, will need to do a little testing with it.

Had to referesh my memory on that regedit - it applies to multi-profiles i think, not multiple accounts in the profile.

Thanks, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

With the edits, the pop account remains the default email account when sending new emails from the inbox. It is only when I select the email button in the ribbon, that the email defaults back to the exchange account.

I'm going to have to boot an SBS system and check it out - its been so long since i wrote the solution that i forget exactly how it works and will need to try it. But, my initial thought is that it won't affect how outlook 2010 handles the accounts because of the changes in how 2010 handles accounts.

Well I think your right. I had the same exact discussion with my client. I said I wouldn't hold out for a solution. Besides, I hate always modifying OL through regedits. Seems like forcing a square peg through a round hole, plus I can never remember exactly what or why an edit was was done (years after it was done). If it can't be configured out of the box, I would prefer to see VB solution.

Thanks for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N contact list seen in Contact folder but knot in Address book or when 'TO' button is clicked in new email Using Outlook 0
R Categorize Button in Quick Access Toolbar Disappears on New Email Using Outlook 1
E Button in body of email to approve/reject with original text Using Outlook 1
M Forward email as insert from button Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Outlook Email Help: Select custom voting button options VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Command Button to insert Email Signature Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Email address auto-completes work fine on laptop, but no longer on desktop Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
H Copying email address(es) in body of email and pasting in To field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Search folder and move the email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
farrissf Outlook 2016 Optimizing Email Searches in Outlook 2016: Seeking Insights on Quick Search vs Advanced Search Features Using Outlook 0
D Delete selected text in outgoing email body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Graphics in email / Mac recipient garbled Using Outlook 0
D Outlook VBA forward the selected email to the original sender’s email ID (including the email used in TO, CC Field) from the email chain Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to seach in all contact Folders for marked Email Adress Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Outlook 365 Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - oMail.Delete not working when SEARCH Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Email Macros to go to a SHARED Outlook mailbox Draft folder...NOT my personal Outlook Draft folder Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 365 VBA AUTO SEND WITH DELAY FOR EACH EMAIL Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G Print email attachments when hit subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Spam Email? Using Outlook 2
G Automatically delete email when a condition is met Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - digitally sign email doesn't works Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Email was migrated from GoDaddy to Microsoft exchange. We lost IMAP ability Exchange Server Administration 1
R Outlook 365 How to integrate a third-party app with Outlook to track email and sms? Using Outlook 2
S Paperclip icon shows without attachment in email under Sent folder Using Outlook 0
B Outlook 2019 Automatically move email after assigning category Using Outlook 4
Rupert Dragwater How to permanently remove an email address Using Outlook 9
K vba code to auto download email into a specific folder in local hard disk as and when any new email arrives in Inbox/subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Auto changing email subject line in bulk Using Outlook 2
F Want to add second email to Outlook for business use Using Outlook 4
kburrows Outlook Email Body Text Disappears/Overlaps, Folders Switch Around when You Hover, Excel Opens Randomly and Runs in the Background - Profile Corrupt? Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 365 Outlook Macro to Sort emails by column "Received" to view the latest email received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Outlook 2019 Help with forwarding email without mentioning the previous email sender. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Macro to send email as alias Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Shift Delete doesn't delete email from server Using Outlook 3
K Incorporate selection from combobox into body of email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Why are some email automatically going to "archive" Using Outlook 2
M Outlook Macro to save as Email with a file name format : Date_Timestamp_Sender initial_Email subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook 2019 Custom Email form - Edit default email form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
F Add a category before "Send an Email When You Add an Appointment to Your Calendar" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Problem when requesting to view an email in a browser Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 365 Forward Email Subject to my inbox when new email arrive in shared inbox Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Archive Email Manually Using Outlook 1
L Fetch, edit and forward an email with VBA outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S New Email "From" box stopped working Using Outlook 0
Rupert Dragwater Duplicate email in Folder Using Outlook 7
M "Attachment Detacher for Outlook" add in, does it update the server copy of the email? Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 365 I am getting the "Either there is no default mail client" error when I try to send an email on excel Office 365 Using Outlook 1
MattC Changing the font of an email with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1