Back/Forward toolbar buttons with pull-down history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
In Outlook 98 and Outlook 2000 I had back and forward buttons on the toolbar with a slight arrow on their side -- clicking it would open a pull-down menu with history of recent previously visited folders (so you could not only go back one step at a time, but also choose where to). Sort of like Firefox (and Explorer) back/forward buttons -- you click the main part, you go one step back/forth, you click the small arrow, you can choose how far back/forth you go.

The feature remained on my old machine where I upgraded Office 2000 with 2007.

However, on the new computer, with a fresh installation of Office 2007 I only have plain one-level back/forward buttons on Outlook toolbar. Is there any way to make it the way it was in older versions?

Hmmm. You're right, the little menus are gone with a clean install of Outlook 2007. (It's gone completely from 2010.)

You could try copying the outcmd.dat file to the new machine - but its also possible that some dll was left behind the in upgrade that allowed it to work.

So this is another one of those good features that were left out? :(

I rather not gamble with outcmd and/or dlls from the old machine, tho'.

I'd be game to try outcmd.dat (i probably will later today) but since we have no idea what dlls, if any, are responsible, there is no way i'd recommend messing with them. Copying the outcmd.dat file over is harmless - it holds toolbar customization infomation only. If outlook doesn't like it, it will make a new one.

I'll try it later today. However... I remember the old one had occasional problems with resetting or changing buttons order, or adding some buttons I had removed. Is there a chance this would be inherited here if I copy the file over?

Possibly, but that can happen regardless. Outlook will recreate it if it doesn't like something about it, which will restore buttons you removed. However, because it only contains information about the toolbars, commands on them, and their layout, it's not going to mess with your system and force a system restore or reformat. It's easy to undo - if you rename the one you had before, rename it back, or delete it and let outlook make a new one with all the default toolbars and commands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Outlook VBA forward the selected email to the original sender’s email ID (including the email used in TO, CC Field) from the email chain Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Forward mails with "FW:" or "RE:" in title Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 365 Forward Email Subject to my inbox when new email arrive in shared inbox Using Outlook 0
L Fetch, edit and forward an email with VBA outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Outlook 365 Forward Meeting Related Messages to Specific Meeting Organizer Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Customized form: The Forward option shows write layout Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
richardwing Auto forward email that is moves into a specific outlook folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Z VBA Forward vs manual forward Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Outlook 2016 Macro to Reply, ReplyAll, or Forward(but with composing new email) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Forward incoming email with 4 embedded images in the body without original sender Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 22
David McKay VBA to manually forward using odd options Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Auto forward for multiple emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G Forward email body to other mail list directly from Exchange server Exchange Server Administration 1
D auto forward base on email address in body email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Bering Forward selected email without the original email appended Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C UDFs Reply vs Forward Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M In Outlook Calendar remove the buttons: 'Today' and '<' (Back a day) and '>' (Forward a day) that are below the Ribbon and above the calendar display. Using Outlook 0
J Automatically forward email and apply template Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Forward a email with modified body Automatically. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C How to rename subject line and forward the email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Error when trying to forward current email item Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
M Outlook macro to automate search and forward process Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
G Missing forward/replied icons Using Outlook 2
M VBA to auto forward message with new subject and body text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
B Automatically Forward Emails and Remove/Replace All or Part of Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
M Forward Appointment as BCC with VBScript Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
B Forward every other email in Outlook 2013 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Disable or hide "reply" and "reply to all" and "forward" in email from access vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Sabastian Samuel HOW DO I FORWARD AN EMAIL WITH MACRO using an email that in the body of another email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
C Don't forward duplicate Using Outlook 0
undercover_smother Automatically Forward All Sent Mail and Delete After Send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
A Forward Outlook Email by Filtering using Macro Rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 44
I change subject and forward without FW: Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C VBA to Forward e-mails from certain address and between certain times Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Forward Action in Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Auto Forward - Include Attachment and change Subject depending on original sender Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
K add pdf to every reply or forward Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Brostin Forward a mail to the address listed in the email text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Going Forward: Using Outlook 2016 for RSS Feeds Using Outlook 2
J Forward Message after editing attachments and include edited attachments Using Outlook 5
R changing FW: on forward Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Z Auto Forward Using Outlook 4
N Outlook script to forward emails based on senders' address Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Merge Emails with attachments with inbox rule to forward Using Outlook 5
B Auto Save of Attachments from Multiple Emails and forward attachments to user group Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Creating an outlook rule to forward an email with a specific message Using Outlook 1
D Forward message to address from subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D How to forward each email x minutes after it arrives in inbox and hasn't been moved or deleted? Using Outlook 1
W Macro to forward email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J How to change From then forward message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1