Back/Forward toolbar buttons with pull-down history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
In Outlook 98 and Outlook 2000 I had back and forward buttons on the toolbar with a slight arrow on their side -- clicking it would open a pull-down menu with history of recent previously visited folders (so you could not only go back one step at a time, but also choose where to). Sort of like Firefox (and Explorer) back/forward buttons -- you click the main part, you go one step back/forth, you click the small arrow, you can choose how far back/forth you go.

The feature remained on my old machine where I upgraded Office 2000 with 2007.

However, on the new computer, with a fresh installation of Office 2007 I only have plain one-level back/forward buttons on Outlook toolbar. Is there any way to make it the way it was in older versions?

Forum Admin

Hmmm. You're right, the little menus are gone with a clean install of Outlook 2007. (It's gone completely from 2010.)

You could try copying the outcmd.dat file to the new machine - but its also possible that some dll was left behind the in upgrade that allowed it to work.

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
So this is another one of those good features that were left out? :(

I rather not gamble with outcmd and/or dlls from the old machine, tho'.

Forum Admin

I'd be game to try outcmd.dat (i probably will later today) but since we have no idea what dlls, if any, are responsible, there is no way i'd recommend messing with them. Copying the outcmd.dat file over is harmless - it holds toolbar customization infomation only. If outlook doesn't like it, it will make a new one.

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I'll try it later today. However... I remember the old one had occasional problems with resetting or changing buttons order, or adding some buttons I had removed. Is there a chance this would be inherited here if I copy the file over?

Forum Admin

Possibly, but that can happen regardless. Outlook will recreate it if it doesn't like something about it, which will restore buttons you removed. However, because it only contains information about the toolbars, commands on them, and their layout, it's not going to mess with your system and force a system restore or reformat. It's easy to undo - if you rename the one you had before, rename it back, or delete it and let outlook make a new one with all the default toolbars and commands.

Status
Not open for further replies.