Status
Not open for further replies.

BigNate

Outlook version
Older version
Email Account
POP3
Hi folks

I had been running Outlook 2000 (yes, I know it's now 2011) until recently when the board on my laptop died. I'm not able to power it up, but have pulled the hard drive & have it in an external enclosure and have access to all of the files. I'm trying to get all of my old emails from the laptop and at least have access to read them on my desktop. Unfortunately, I didn't make a back up of them before it died. I have access to the original Outlook 2000 install discs as well as Office XP pro which I'm setting up now on a spare PC. Even if I can't move everything into XP Pro, is it possible to read them in Outlook 2000 on a different machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Forum Admin

You can read the files on any computer with either version of outlook after you get the pst file off the old drive. You need to go to [old drive]:\Documents and Settings\old_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and copy the pst file - put it anywhere on the new one - like in your new my documents folder

When you create your new profile, point it to the old pst file and you'll have all of your mail and contacts.

You will need to give your new user account owner permission to the folders under documents and settings and should also change the hidden files and folder setting so they show. You might want to browse both the local settings and roaming folder under your user account - there might be other config files you'll want to save and reuse on the new computer.

BigNate

Outlook version
Older version
Email Account
POP3
Thank you for your quick reply.

Unfortunately for me, that directory isn't there. I didn't delete anything or alter the structure when I plugged it into the enclosure either. There also isn't a .pst file anywhere on the drive from my laptop. Is there anything else I could look for or am I just SOL?

Forum Admin

The directory is there - its a hidden folder so you need to Show hidden files and folders or remove the Hidden flag from the folders in the path.

Status
Not open for further replies.