Status
Not open for further replies.

stevefoobar

Outlook version
Outlook 365 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Youve received Free/Busy information from this user Message

Hi Everyone. I’m new to this forum and was hoping someone could help.

I’m getting a message I’ve never seen before as follows:

Free/Busy Information From New User
You’ve received Free/Busy information from this user: Do you want to share your Free/Busy information with this user?

Notice that where the user name should be it is blank. I’ve not made any changes to Outlook so I don’t know why I’m getting this message for the first time in 4 years.

Furthermore, this message is pointless as it doesn’t tell me who the user is that is requesting my free/busy information. I’m not going to answer “Yes” until I know that.

Thanks for any ideas you can provide to help me resolve this.

Steve
Chicago, IL USA

Attachments

• Outlook Message (WinCE).jpg
    Outlook Message (WinCE).jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 545
Re: Youve received Free/Busy information from this user Message

I notice the file name includes WinCE - is this happening on a mobile device or in outlook on your desktop?

I notice the file name includes WinCE - is this happening on a mobile device or in outlook on your desktop?

Sorry, the WinCE was just so I could get the picture small enough to be accepted. This is happening on my desktop under WinXP Pro SP3. Of course, I have the latest updates for WinXP and Outlook 2003. I find it strange that apparently the field where the user name should be is just blank.

Do you have Free/busy configured/enabled in Tools, Options, Calendar options, Free/Busy? (MS no longer offers the internet free/busy option, so you'd use the publish at my location option.)

Do you have any addins installed? Maybe the google calendar sync?

Diane, I would consider myself a computer expert but certainly not an Outlook expert. Yes, Free/Busy appears to be configured correctly, however, I am using a third-party app to allow calendar sharing amongst my partner and I. The third-party app is what configured the Free/Busy Option to point to a folder on my computer. My partner is running the app on her computer also and it did the same on her end to her Outlook 2003. It then uses specially formatted emails to send calendar info to each person that is sharing their calendars. It decodes these emails when received and that's how it keeps calendars updated and shared. It actually works quite well and is a substitute for Exchange. The app is called ShareCalendar by 4Team Corp. It's about $30 per license so a nice solution.

Having said all that, We've been using it for 2 years and I've never seen the popup message I mentioned in the original post. That's why I'm confused. I doubt this message has anything to do with this ShareCalendar app.

I also have the Advanced option "When sending meeting requests over the internet, use iCalendar format" checked.

As for Google, yes, lately we've had people try and set meetings with us using Google calendar but I didn't think that had anything to do with Outlook except to send emails back and forth via Outlook (we use it as our email client as well).

I have to admit being confused though about the interoperability of Outlook's Free/Busy, iCalendar, Google calendar, and ShareCalendar.

As for "Add-ins" the only one checked in Outlook is something called "Redemption Helper Outlook Extension" which I have no idea on the purpose of.

Thanks.

Redemption is installed by addins (probably sharecalendar) to bypass the security dialogs.

This dialog came up when you received a message from someone other than your partner? I'm wondering if they use sharecalendar... i'll check with my contact at 4Team and see if that is possible.

BTW - icalendars over the internet are not an issue, google calendar invites shouldn't be either... unless you either use the google calendar sync tool or a gmail account in outlook.

No, I don't use the google calendar sync tool. I do however, check two google email accounts I have via pop3 from within Outlook.

It is from sharecalendar app. From my contact -

The message you described is shown on a recipient’s machine when other user configures to share his free/busy time with this 1st person. The message in outlook looks like this:

fb.png

As you can see it does contain account name from where the free/busy request has come. The reason why name is not shown could be that recipient is using latest version of ShareCalendar, however the sender is still using an old version and in older versions the name sending was not yet implemented. And if older version does not send the name, the recipient also cannot see it.

Users are always welcome to contact our live support for more information via http://www.4team.biz/ clicking on LiveHelp button.

P.S. If user does not want to get such messages anymore and does not want to share free/busy information, his email address should be removed from Outlook > ShareCalendar > Options > Free/Busy tab sharing list on all or just some machines, depending on users request.

Fascinating. Of course, this still leaves lots of questions like: 1) why am I getting this message now for the first time after using ShareCalendar for 2 years and NOT upgrading it. 2) both of us are using exactly the same version, so their possible explanation of us using different versions isn't valid 3) why do I get a completely blank field instead of the example supplied of blank@4team.biz in my message? 4) why do I keep getting this message even after replying "Yes"?

Well, these are all rhetorical questions for now. It sounds like I'll have to take this up with 4team when I have the time.

Thanks so much for looking into this Diane!

Wild guess: an update, probably to outlook but could also be something in the operating system or shared files (like net framework, if share calendar uses it). Some other unrelated program could also be interfering - that's why it seems like you are the only one with the problem (according to google search for the warning message).

Status
Not open for further replies.