drag drop/opening drop down/single click acts like double/highlighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbenton

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
:mad::mad:

I have had Office and Outlook 2007 for over a year. Once before it acted strangely and I did something that fixed it and I usually document all fixes but I didn't and its acting up again. Seems that it was something simple/stupid.

Here is what is going on:

> hard to drag/drop mail item to a folder; opens it instead of moving but sometimes it works

> highlight message to delete or move and it opens it (single click acting like double click)

> highlighting text is almost impossible. Won't let me start and stop where I want to and even when I can the highlight disappears sometimes when I release mouse

> using scroll bar on right side is like pulling teeth

> when I click on mail folder to see subfolders it closes before I can even look/select or it opens and when I release mouse it closes. Same thing when I try to use any drop down menu but after several tries the drop downs/folder stay open

Some of these things happen in WORD 2007 also AND on my browser (I.E. and Firefox) so I did what I thought was appropriate to diagnose...

I run Win XP and Office 2007 and am the only user of this PC. Ran Windows diagnostics as there is no detect and repair in Outlook 2007. Ran Windows/Office Update. The last software that updated was Adobe Flash so I removed all Flash programs but still acting up. And Yes I rebooted after each 'action' to fix.

This is driving me to distraction. Hope someone can help.

Terri

What antivirus software do you use? Are you using a 3rd party popup blocker? Some (but not all) of your symptoms can be caused by an aggressive popup blocker. The standard blockers in browsers will not cause problems.

I use Norton Security Suite and nothing has changed. I don't use any third party pop up blocker. Bottom line is that the only thing that changed from everything being fine to things going haywire was an update to Adobe Flash....sooo.... I removed all programs associated with Flash but it made no difference.

Its really strange behavior

Terri

========

What antivirus software do you use? Are you using a 3rd party popup blocker? Some (but not all) of your symptoms can be caused by an aggressive popup blocker. The standard blockers in browsers will not cause problems.

Close Outlook and restart in Safe mode - see if it works as expected. If so, we know its either norton or another addin. (Hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon to start in Safe mode.)

does it always do this with all items or folders or does it only happen occassionally or with specific items or folders?

thanks for the reply. I started in safe mode and seem to have same issues. Its really odd that in either mode sometimes when I select a mail item it opens as though I had double clicked it. Its not always the same items and seems random as does the ability to move a mail message to a folder with drag and drop. Also highlighting text and having the exact text stay highlighted long enough for me to take some action seems rather random and does it in both modes.

I have had Norton Security Suite for a long time and cannot imagine what would cause it to affect Outlook like this but I will try whatever suggestions you have.

Terri

Close Outlook and restart in Safe mode - see if it works as expected. If so, we know its either norton or another addin. (Hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon to start in Safe mode.)

does it always do this with all items or folders or does it only happen occassionally or with specific items or folders?

if its not fixed in safe mode, its probably not norton.

Make sure you have updated video drivers as well as mouse drivers - video drivers can cause weird behavior like this.

Everything is up to date but thanks for the hints and guess what? Outlook is back to behaving normally and I did NOTHING to help it! I am the only one who used this computer so I am totally stunned. It started acting up all of a sudden and two weeks later its B a a a c k.

Terri

------------------
if its not fixed in safe mode, its probably not norton.

Make sure you have updated video drivers as well as mouse drivers - video drivers can cause weird behavior like this.

I'm guessing either or both a) a reboot fixed it or b) an automatic update...

Status
Not open for further replies.