Synced Yahoo to Outlook but don't want to receive all old emails in Outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbohannon

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I have 14,000 emails in my yahoo account. I just synced this account to Outlook and would rather only see emails show up as of now. When I press send/receive, it tries to retrieve ALL emails. Obviously I do not want this. I can send emails from an exchange server to my yahoo email, but it does not show up in this yahoo account in Outlook (I pressed cancel send/receive when it tried to retrieve all messages). I can send an email in this yahoo account (with outlook) and it will send.

How do I set up this new account without retrieving all messages and to get the send/receive to function properly?

Re: Synced Yahoo to Outlook but don't want to receive all old emails in Outloo

This is, unfortunately, a limitation of POP3. You can log into the yahoo mailbox and move old mail to a different folder - it would still be available in imap or via onmline access but not downloaded by using pop3.

I have had this email account for over a decade. As such, I have nearly 300 pages of emails. Is the only way to view new emails in Outlook without receiving all old messages is to delete or move my entire inbox to a new folder on yahoo?

Yes. POP3 will download all mail when you leave it on the server.

While it won't help much with internet traffic right now, you could configure the account as imap and move the old mail to a new folder. All the mail will be downloaded into outlook at that point though so it really won't help 'now' but could be useful in the future. With over 10 yrs of mail, I'd probably group it by 5 yrs: before 2000 2000 - 2005, 2005 -2010.

Yes. POP3 will download all mail when you leave it on the server.

While it won't help much with internet traffic right now, you could configure the account as imap and move the old mail to a new folder. All the mail will be downloaded into outlook at that point though so it really won't help 'now' but could be useful in the future. With over 10 yrs of mail, I'd probably group it by 5 yrs: before 2000 2000 - 2005, 2005 -2010.

I went ahead and spent a couple hours putting all of my messages into a separate folder so Outlook would not retrieve all of my messages. It seems to send/receive messages correctly now.

However, I still have one more question. How come Yahoo doesn't show new messages received? Can I not see e-mails in both outlook and yahoo? The whole purpose of doing this was so I could view my personal yahoo email at work in Outlook and go home and view my emails in Yahoo.

Did Outlook remove the new mail from the server?

In Outlook go to tools, account settings - double click on the yahoo account then on the advanced tab to check.

http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/leaveonserver.htm

That was it! Thanks so much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C reminders not synced by CodeTwo Sync for iCloud Using Outlook 2
Witzker Spam Fighting Solution For 3 Synced Outlooks Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N Gathering Calendar Appointments from Calendars that synced as Contacts Exchange Server Administration 1
R Can't keep emails synced on various devices Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
T Deleting iCloud Synced Contacts Exchange Server Administration 2
J Local Outlook 2013 folder and message changes not synced with EAS to Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
M Outlook 2013 EAS, 3 imap accounts. Meeting invites not synced to outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
B Not all fields are synced to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
Retired Geek Outlook for the MAC with Yahoo accounts now very broken Using Outlook 9
Abraham a@hotmail.com; on behalf of; EASI:@yahoo.com Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 365 Switching from AOL to Yahoo automatically Using Outlook 5
C Pop Server Changing Verizon/Aol to Yahoo Using Outlook 6
T Compuserve, Yahoo, Oath2 and Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2013 Yahoo IMAP Sync problems Using Outlook 1
M Using Outlook with Yahoo email Using Outlook 6
Diane Poremsky Online Services in Outlook: Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, AOL, GoDaddy Using Outlook 1
D How to copy yahoo email folders to hard drive Using Outlook 2
K Outlook(hotmail)Yahoo problem Using Outlook 6
A yahoo mail doesn't send or receive reliably Using Outlook 1
S Outlook no longer works with Yahoo Mail Using Outlook 9
V Problem not having Contacts folder after importing emails from Yahoo. Using Outlook 0
V Yahoo E-Mail Setup Using Outlook 2
T sent mails in outlook 2010 not coming in the yahoo mail Using Outlook 1
O Sent mail from ( Yahoo ) appear on hotmail sent box Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2010 slow with Yahoo IMAP Using Outlook 1
L Different characters transfered from Yahoo to Outlook Using Outlook 0
M Outlook yahoo POP3 outgoing messages are not reaching destination. Sometime the messages reach the Using Outlook 10
D I cannot send out of outlook with 2003 and Yahoo Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8