Instant Search in Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try opening Outlook in Safe mode. (Hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon to start in Safe mode.)

While this should be the same as disabling the addins, it prevents any from loading on their own.

Diane:

In safe mode, the "More" command is disabled.

Shawn

Ah shoot... it is. I'm out of ideas - my only other thought is to open an incident with Microsoft. If nothing else, one more complaint added to the list may improve the chances they will work on it. If you just recently installed Office, you definitely have at least one free incident. I think its within the first 90 days but I couldbe wrong.

Diane:

Thank you for all your kindness and help. I really appreciate it. I will try and contact them. Do you have a link as there are so many support options?

Shawn

Diane:

I'm really confused :confused:. I took VMWare and installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with SP1. I then installed Office 2010 Professional (all items). I created an Outlook PST file (with no email support) just to test. I clicked on contacts, search, "More" and it still shows the incorrect fields. Nothing else is installed.

My colleague, you, and others see the correct list. There has to be something installed in Office 2010 Professional that causes this to happen since it works correctly with some people, but not others, or it is something I'm doing wrong. Would you agree that is a correct assumption?

I just don't know what to start removing from Office 2010 Professional to see what works.

Shawn

Diane:

I found the bug (well I think it is a bug).

For my Navigation pane, I use "Folder List" and "Calendar". I don't have "Contacts" checked to be displayed. When I click on "Contacts" from the navigation folder list, I see the incorrect list.

However, if add contacts to my navigation pane and I select "Contacts" from the Navigation pane, click on Search / More, now I see the correct list of fields. It seems when using the Folder List / Contacts, it does not work correct, but seeing only contacts in the Navigation, the list of fields in "More" works correctly. This seems to be also true for Tasks as the incorrect list of fields is displayed if I access Tasks through the Folder list vs directly from the Navigation pane.

I hope they consider this an issue and fix it.

Shawn

By golley you are right... i see it on my 2010 installs. I'd say its a bug - and will definiately point this out to them.

I (and probably the vast majority of users) use the modules, not the folder list and would never notice this.

Thanks for finding it. I haven't tested every module, but i suspect its an issue with all non-mail folders as I checked the calendar.

On a side note, it doesn't look like the operator "OR" works. I went to the contact module and typed in the search field "company: <company 1> OR <company 2>". It worked.

I then went to the folder list view, tried the same thing, and it did not work. Seems to be only finding the first item (before the OR), not items after the "OR". Also, it seems to include other matches that did not have any of the search terms in the company field.

Shawn

it's working here for last names... let me try company....

Company is working too.

Both company:(microsoft OR slistick) and company:microsoft OR slipstick worked.

My first test of last name had some odd ball matches too - in one case, it was the husband's contact that came up when i searched for the wife's maiden name. I didn't look at the contact to see where her maiden name was but I'm sure it was somewhere. It shouldn't pick it up though as its not in the last name field.

Because i use the navigation panes, i switched to the folder list then to other folders before going back to contacts folder to search.

It works here with the contacts module unchecked too - and i think i found the source of the odd results - the company search includes matches in category and name fields.

Diane:

Thanks.

1. Here are my search results using "Folder List" and "Contacts" by typing in the search field. You are correct as I am seeing the same results using either "Folder List" or "Contacts".

company: TK OR Honey -- I have 358 results

company: Honey OR TK -- I have 444 results

company: TK -- I have 3 results

company: Honey -- I have 213 results

NOTE: Searching on "company: TK OR Honey" or "company: Honey OR TK" should have the same results (I did expand the search to see all returns).

2. When I used the "Company" field from the "More" drop down in Contacts, it seems to work. The issue seems to be typing in the search field using either "Folder List" or "Contacts" view.

company: TK OR Honey -- I have 216 results

company: Honey OR TK -- I have 216 results

company: TK -- I have 3 results

company: Honey -- I have 213 results

3. I'm assuming company should not also search on category and name fields when I specifically searched on "company:". Correct? Also, as you noted, "lastname:" also pick up data from other fields.

It seems typing data in the search field directly is not limiting the search to just the entered field in both the "Folder List" or "Contacts" view.

Shawn

I may have been mistaken with the use of the conditions.

When you are typing the field name manually, you'll have to enclose the OR statement between round brackets; for example:

company:(Honey OR TK)

Otherwise you'll be searching for Honey in the company field or TK in any field.

Shawn

Ah... that makes sense. Will make note of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.