Sending from a distribution list email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linthi

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
I am looking for a workaround to have the default email address in outlook be a distribution list when replying or creating a new email. We have been manually changing the from address to the distribution list. While searching for a solution I stumbled across the following webpage and am unable to get the button on the toolbar to work.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2010/default_acct.asp -
[h=2]Macro using a specific account[/h]

We have people using Outlook 2010, 2007 and 2003 at this time. The 2003 will be phased out soon so it is not necessary for a solution to work on that version. I am new at writing macros so if I am leaving some important information, please let me know. I have read in many places that there is no easy fix on this. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you!

those macros require the account be configured in outlook. Your DL is a just something you have send as permission with, not a specific account configured in Outlook.

If you create an account (can be a pop account with a fake server name) then it will work. But what you really need is a macro to enter a From address. I'll see if i can find one.

Thank you for the prompt response! Could you please advise on where I need to enter this? Am I making a button for it or overriding an application coding? Also don't I need to add the DL address in the macro somewhere?

This works in 2007/2010 if you assign it to a button

Public Sub New_Mail()

Dim oAccount As Outlook.Account

Dim oMail As Outlook.MailItem

For Each oAccount In Application.Session.Accounts
If oAccount = "my_account_name" Then
Set oMail = Application.CreateItem(olMailItem)
oMail.SendUsingAccount = oAccount
oMail.SentOnBehalfOfName = "me@here.com"
oMail.Display
End If

Next

End Sub

This also works with a button:

Public Sub New_Mail()

Dim App As Application

Dim EmailFolder As MAPIFolder

Dim NewItem As Object

Set App = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Set EmailFolder = App.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(olFolderTasks)

Set NewItem = EmailFolder.Items.Add("IPM.Note")

NewItem.SentOnBehalfOfName = "me@here.com"

NewItem.Display

Set App = Nothing

Set EmailFolder = Nothing

Set NewItem = Nothing

End Sub

For replies/forwards, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/email/choose-the-account-to-send-a-reply-from/ - code is (mostly) the same as the first macro you'll need to make reply /forward buttons

outlook 2003 doesn't support the SentOnBehalfOfName property so you'd need to use the two account method (or upgrade them).

I have entered in the macro as directed and created the button. However I keep getting an error message.

Compile Error:

Syntax error

Please advise on how I need to proceed. Thank you!

Syntax error means there is a problem with something in the code. First, check the entries you changed- specifically the account name and the DL's email address.

I recommend copying it from the textbox on the web page, not in this forum, as it can pick up chracters that affect it.

if you can't find the error, post it here and I'll take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Auto expand Distribution List Before Sending Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Automatically CC to another user when sending from Distribution List Using Outlook 2
Fozzie Bear Calendar Events created on iPhone have suddenly start sending invitations to attendees Using Outlook 2
D Prompt to prefix subject line whenever sending an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P default font when sending email from browser Using Outlook 1
M Messages Intermittently Dont Arrive In Sent Items After Sending Successfully Using Outlook 4
O Outlook on Android: after sharing / sending a news article, draft remains open. Why? Using Outlook 1
P Sending email from outlook IMAP to GMAIL where embedded images are added as attachment Using Outlook 1
V Form data not sending for some users Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L isn't there an OL add-on that flags addressee before sending Using Outlook 3
R Microsoft Outlook 2016 - Gmail not sending, asks for password for SMTP, tried different ports Using Outlook 23
A Flag Message for Follow Up after sending Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Sending email from Office 365 alias in Outlook Using Outlook 3
E Change sending account depending on Subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L unblocking attachments before sending Office 365 Advanced Protection Using Outlook 0
B Outlook 2003 email sending & receiving suddenly stopped working Using Outlook 3
R Warn before sending message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
HarvMan Hotmail - Sending email is undeliverable Using Outlook 4
A Sending contact vcards sends older version instead of updated version Using Outlook 4
M McAllister Outlook stops Sending/Receiving/Synching after disconnecting remote desktop session Using Outlook 2
D Adding Enterprise Exchange Email Account to Outlook Prevents Sending via Outlook.com Account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 10
B When sending an email, I am showing 2 of my address's Using Outlook 1
A Check for words in subject header before sending email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
O Run macro automatically at sending an email Using Outlook 11
W Sending To Wrong Account Using Outlook 15
H Select Specific Account When Sending Email, Based on Current Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Help sending email but removing signature via VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M MsgBox when not sending from specified account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Script to fetch data from mails in restricted collection and sending them to excel Using Outlook 1
R Sending emails via Outlook XP, from Windows 10 File Explorer Using Outlook 1
L Creating drafts when I thought I was sending Using Outlook 1
C address book "when sending email" bug? Using Outlook 0
H Custom autoforwarding, sending mail through outlook office 365 Using Outlook 1
R Sending email copy (*.msg file) of sent email if subject line contains specific string. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C replace subject line generated by converting a word document to PDF and sending it to an email Using Outlook 8
A Sending Emails Through Outlook From Multiple Email Addresses Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 365 sending intermittently Using Outlook 0
C How to avoid sending mail to the wrong contact person Using Outlook 1
V iCloud Calendar invitations not sending Using Outlook 3
O Rules and Alerts for New Messages BEFORE sending Using Outlook 2
latitudeit Outlook for Android - Sending from an alias address Using Outlook 2
X Delay sending an email until the next working day (public holidays) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Macro sending outlook template from Excel list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
A How to get rid of "sending on behalf of" when sending from Outlook 2016 client Using Outlook 12
O Outlook 2013 Problems sending large mails Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Automatically create a task when sending a message Using Outlook 0
P Categorise emails on sending - macro not working in Preview mode Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Outlook is sending winmail.dat attachments Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Select from a List of Subjects before Sending a Message Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2010 sending safe senders email to junk box Using Outlook 8