Do you use the reading pane on the bottom or right?

Do you use the reading pane on the bottom or right?

• I prefer it on the right, less scrolling to read the message.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • I'm old school: reading panes belong on the bottom.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • I open messages to read them, so no reading pane for me.

Votes: 16 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you prefer the reading pane on the side or bottom?

Outlook 2013's header is somewhat larger than Outlook 2010's which was larger than Outlook 2007. Prior to Outlook 2010, the header could be closed, showing just the subject and email message. This was helpful when the reading pane was on the bottom because you could see more of the message and scroll less.

Add in small screens on netbooks and you see a whole lot of nothing but header when the pane is on the bottom.

This is generally not a problem for those of us who keep the reading pane on the right. The header is still too big, but even on a netbook, we can see all of the content, except when the message is long, and several messages are visible in the message list. It certainly makes reading email much, much faster for me.

Attachments

larry

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I'm shocked at the number of people who use it on the bottom. Wow. It just seems so much easier to read mail with the pane on the right.

JJB

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
Exchange Server
Reading panes on the bottom for messages, but on the right for tasks.

I get things out of my inbox quickly, so that list is never very long, and the reading pane at the bottom can be bigger allowing me to see more of the message at a time.

My task list, where a lot of things end up, gets long so my bias is to see as many task descriptions / subject lines as possible, so the right side reading pane makes more sense.

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I use use it on the right.but I have set up 'views' for alternative viewings - many people I think are used to the older email programs where the pane was nearly always on the bottom..

Status
Not open for further replies.