Outllok Office 365 - rules Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I am having a real problem with the manner in which the rules are read by 365. I have spent hour trying to figure out the hierarchy actions of the rules reading. Is there a clear article and maybe a video on the actions taken on rule and the effect of more rule below the first rule. I need to have email messages with exact subject detail for a doctors practice. each doctor had appointments and needs to have the appointment sent to a specific folder. I have also noticed that some rule are server based and are done first before leaving the 'cloud' and that rule on the OWA seem to conflict with those set in 365 Options, I have only one mail box splitting the inbox into folder for many shuffled email incoming messages. Is there a trick with the rules help please..they may go back to Goggle Apps

TIA

Art

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Rules are applied in the order they are listed - if you want only 1 rule to apply to a message, you need to add 'stop processing' the rule - Outlook will move on to the next message when it hits stop processing, otherwise, it will check every rule for each message.

Rules that have actions that require outlook are client side rules and only run if Outlook is running. If a server rule moves a message when outlook is closed the client side rule won't fire.

If Outlook is open, the rules should be processed in the order listed - if outlook is closed, the server rules are applied. When you create rules in OWA, only server rules are supported.

Client and Server based rules

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Rules are applied in the order they are listed - if you want only 1 rule to apply to a message, you need to add 'stop processing' the rule - Outlook will move on to the next message when it hits stop processing, otherwise, it will check every rule for each message.
Diane,

This is an old message, but can I get clarification?

I understand that Outlook processes the rules in order. Suppose I have these rules in this order:

1. Move any message with "xyz" in the subject to Folder A.
  2. Move any message from "abc.org" to Folder B.

What happens if a message comes in from abc.org AND that has "xyz" in the subject?

Thanks

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Sorry I missed this earlier -

If you get a message from abc.com with the xyz subject, the first rule applies- it will be moved to Folder A. If you have 'stop processing' action added to the rule, the message is not processed by the additional rules. If you want both rules to apply (resulting in 2 copies of the message), the first rule should not have stop processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.