Can't modify Outlook view font with IE anymore (even though IE still affects print font)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick441

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I recently migrated from XP to Windows 7 pro-x64. But for now I'm keeping Outlook 2003.

The problem is that I have a higher resolution screen on my new laptop. I knew that this meant I'd have to make some font modifications (enlargement, for readability) -- including increasing the system font. But I figured that for Outlook html mail I could adjust the fonts globally simply by adjusting size in Internet Explorer (now IE 10) -- i.e., the way it worked for me with OL 2003 in XP. But I was dismayed to find that this isn't working anymore, despite all the experimenting I've done with different settings. Instead I have to zoom or enlarge font on each message manually/individually.

But after resigning myself to this unfortunate regression in functionality, I realized that my emails with the tiny font were *printing* with huge font -- even when I hadn't done any text-enlargement or zooming within the individual message. Sure enough, it turns out I was getting the large *print* text size because I had text set to Largest in IE. If I reduce it to Medium all my messages in OL print with "just right" font. This makes the fact that I can no longer get IE to adjust the font in *viewing* -- which is hugely more important to me than printing -- all the more mysterious and frustrating. OTOH it gives me a ray of "hope" in that at least there is still some sign of a link between IE and OL fonts. Can you advise me on how I might be able to once again take advantage of that link in *viewing* emails? (I note that third-party "auto-zoom" utilities unfortunately only seem to be available for OL 2007+.)

Thanks!

Forum Admin

I think the zoom utilities only work with 2007 and up because of changes to the object model.

I'll see what i can find out about the font size.

Forum Admin

Outlook no longer uses IE as the HTML rendering engine. I can't find any way to make the IE font settings work in outlook. You could open the messages in the browser, using View in Browser, but its an extra step.

Rick441

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Thanks, but did you recall that I'm using Outlook 2003? Is there even a way to "View in Browser" with that version (I don't see that option)? And does the "no longer uses IE as the HTML rendering engine" still apply given it is OL 2003? If so, what HTML rendering engine is it using now? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Outlook 2010 Modify Style "Do not check spelling or grammar" not saving Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Modify recurring outlook invites based on form entry Using Outlook 0
C How To Open Outlook Attachment in Excel, Modify some Data, then Re-Save It Using Outlook 3
R How to modify Outlook Select Rooms form columns Using Outlook 1
S Macro to extract and modify links from emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
O modify vba to run it as script rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
Justo Horrillo It's possible to modify the behaviour of the conversation option? Using Outlook 2
S Modify account template? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
smokiibear How to modify Today Page to Include tasks from other task folders Using Outlook 1
S VBA to modify appointment item in additional Exchange account doesn't work Using Outlook 0
A Possible to modify people preview window? Using Outlook 1
G Modify Subject line of incoming mail where I am in Cc line Using Outlook 1
N modify New mesage SEND button Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Custom Archive code -- modify my code! Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
C How do I grab a field property (like .value) so I can modify it via OL code? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
A Script to either modify "from" address or prevent a reply being se Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Can't modify PR_CLIENT_SUBMIT_TIME? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Duplicate calendar entries in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 2
V Outlook 2021 Can anyone explain why my Outlook views keep changing?! Using Outlook 2
AlphonseG Outlook 365 Outlook Crashes on setting SaveSentMessageFolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Outlook 2021 How to customize colors Outlook 2021 & Office 2021 on PC Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2007 Recovering E-Mails Using Outlook 0
G Stop Outlook 365 adding meetings to calendar Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Using Emojis in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
T Outlook 2019 Not Using Auto Compete After Deletion of 365 Using Outlook 1
D Gmail mail is being delivered to a different email inbox in Outlook App 2021 Using Outlook 2
Albert McCann Outlook 2021 Outlook Display of HTML Email from two senders is glitchy Using Outlook 0
richardwing Outlook 365 VBA to access "Other Actions" menu for incoming emails in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Unable to delete folders in Outlook 2019 / Windows Using Outlook 1
K Outlook for Mac problems Using Outlook 0
D Outlook app 2021 & iCloud PST issues Using Outlook 2
M c# vsto Outlook.ApplicationEvents_11_NewMailEx Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Event/Meeting in Outlook Does Not Align with SharePoint Calendar Using Outlook 5
Christopher M Is it me, or is Outlook 365 BUGGY? Using Outlook 3
U Outlook on the iPhone cannot approve filtered Emails Using Outlook 0
J GoDaddy migrated to Office365 - Outlook Wont Add Account Exchange Server Administration 21
K Outlook 365 After migrating to Outlook 365, some contacts display in emails with prefixes Using Outlook 1
J Outlook Rules VBA Run a Script - Multiple Rules Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Horsepower Cannot delete gmail in iPhone Outlook outbox Using Outlook 1
F Outlook 2019 Outlook 2019 Add and Sync to New computer Comcast server Using Outlook 2
M Understanding Outlook Identities Using Outlook 1
kburrows Outlook or Phone Combining Contacts? Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2013 search no longer works Using Outlook 2
M Accessing ALL Outlook contact fields Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
C Outlook (desktop app for Microsoft365) restarts every time I save my VBA? Using Outlook 0
R MailTips and older Outlook versions Using Outlook 0
A iCloud Outlook Add In is causing Outlook 2021 to crash and got disabled Using Outlook 6
C How to import Outlook calendar? Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Outlook 365 loses "outlook.com" exchange server settings Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Outlook.com Account Using Outlook 3