Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewWeb

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi all,

I am a relatively novice visual basic coder, but usually can cobble solutions together. I apologize if I overlooked something obvious related to the following question:

I would like to be able to turn a .msg file into an outlook message. In the GUI, I can do this easily; if I forward a message as an attachment, I can simply drag the attachment to any folder, and then I have that message in the folder as a separate, full-fledged message.

(To illustrate this: E.g., Yesterday, I received a message from John Doe in Account # 1. Today, I forward this message as an attachment from Account # 1 to Account # 2. Account #2 then receives the message + attachment from Account #1. In Account # 2, I can drag that attachment to a Folder X in Account #2, and then Folder X of Account #2 has a message from John Doe sent yesterday.)

I can find tons of posts about saving attachments as files, but nothing about the reverse: turning a .msg file into a message. Is it possible?

I have adapted code (from slipstick, of course!) that allows me to get the attachment in question (objAtt As Outlook.Attachment), and I can confirm it ends in ".msg" or is type olEmbeddeditem, but then...
  • objAtt.copy and objAtt.move don't seem to move the message, e.g.,
    • Dim myInbox as Outlook.Folder
    • Set myInbox = myNameSpace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox))
    • objAtt.copy myInbox 'no errors thrown, but no action, either
  • I can't seem to create a new message directly from the attachment, e.g.,
    • Dim newMessage as outlook.MailItem
    • Set newMessage = objAtt 'newMessage remains "Nothing"
Any help is much appreciated!
Best,
Andrew

Dear Michael,
Thanks very much for the tip; I'm embarrassed that I missed that.

I was able to save and reimport the .msg file, but with one subtle issue:
When I do the attachment drag I described above, the 'new' message appears as a received message. When I use CreateItemFromTemplate, the message appears is in the correct folder, but appears to be a draft (i.e., the send button is active but the 'from' address is John Doe's).

Is there a workaround for that?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B How to create a button that sorts and selects the most recent message with ONE click Using Outlook 2
S Create A Search Folder That Looks For Message Class? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Create new Message with shared contacts & BCC'ing recipients Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Diane Poremsky Create a Task when a Message is Flagged Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Automatically create a task when sending a message Using Outlook 0
B on flag message event - create task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 22
Diane Poremsky Create an Outlook appointment from an email message Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Create a New Message using an HTML File or Stationery Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Outlook Crashes When You Reply or Create a New Message Using Outlook 0
A Create Macro for hyperlink(email) in message body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
Diane Poremsky Create a New Message using an HTML File or Stationery Using Outlook 0
O "Cannot create message because a data file...could not be found" Using Outlook 1
J Outlook Rule - Create Link in Forwarding Message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C error message: 'you don't have permission to create an entry in this folder' Using Outlook 3
G Macro: Create New Message and Auto populate To Field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Modify VBA to create a RULE to block multiple messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Want to create a button on the nav bar (module add-in) to run code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J PSA: How to create custom keyboard shortcut for "Paste Unformatted Text" in Outlook on Windows Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
W Create a Quick Step or VBA to SAVE AS PDF in G:|Data|Client File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Wotme create email only data file Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 365 Help me create a Macro to make some received emails into tasks? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J How to create a drop down user defined field that will appear on an inbox view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
Commodore Any way to create "from-only" account on Outlook 2021? Using Outlook 1
L Capture email addresses and create a comma separated list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
N Can't create NEW GROUP and add/remove a member from existing Group in Outlook Using Outlook 1
NVDon Create new Move To Folder list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Create Meeting With Custom Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Create advanced search (email) via VBA with LONG QUERY (>1024 char) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G Create ordinal numbers for birthday Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
O Outlook 365 - How to create / copy a new contact from an existing one? Using Outlook 5
D Create new email from the received Email Body with attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
A How to create fixed signatures for aliases that process through GMAIL? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Can I create a Rule that sends me an email when I get a Task? Using Outlook 2
M How create a Rule to filter sender's email with more that one @ sign Using Outlook 1
B Can I create a local PST file for SPAM on a drive that is usually disconnected? Using Outlook 3
Chiba Create an appointment for all the members Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Create a clickable custom column field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Create a custom contact form - questions before messing things up... Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
L automaticaly create a teams meeting with a sync Using Outlook 0
D Can Exchange Admin Center create a pst for users email/contacts/calendar? Exchange Server Administration 0
F How to create phone number as links in notes of Contacts Using Outlook 2
Nessa Can't create new appointment Using Outlook 1
A Create date folder and move messages daily Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Multiple email accounts - hesitate to create a new profile Using Outlook 3
G Can't create Folder Groups in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook rules don't create a copy for bcc'ed emails Using Outlook 3
F Delete/create/reset Exchange mailbox on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
R Can not create folder to store specific emails in in Outlook for Mac Using Outlook 1
W Create Search Folder excluding Specific Email Addresses Using Outlook 5