Roy

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Just installed Outlook 2016, and have a weird problem.,

This should have read:

Just installed Outlook 2016, and have a weird problem:

When I add a task to the Todo list, it also shows up in the inbox. In the inbox it shows up on a line like an email, but has a special icon next to it. If I delete it from the inbox it also deletes it from the todo task list. Help - I have a whole tracking process using the todo list, and don't want those items mixed up with my inbox or email.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

What does the icon look like? The only tasks that should be in the inbox are task requests assigned to you. (Flagged email will show up on the to-do list, but they are already in the inbox.)

This icon is a task request someone sends to your address.
request2.gif
It should be the only task that is in the inbox.

What does the icon look like? The only tasks that should be in the inbox are task requests assigned to you. (Flagged email will show up on the to-do list, but they are already in the inbox.)

This icon is a task request someone sends to your address.
request2.gif
It should be the only task that is in the inbox.
[DOUBLEPOST=1445951356][/DOUBLEPOST]

[DOUBLEPOST=1445951356][/DOUBLEPOST]

Diane thanks for your reply. I didn't assign the tasks to anyone, including myself.

I am uploading a screen shot. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    25.9 KB · Views: 609
definitely weird - try resetting the view on the folder. (view tab)

definitely weird - try resetting the view on the folder. (view tab)

Tried doing this in the mail view and no change (see Capture 2)

Did it in the Todo list view and it screwed up my settings. However, it did show tasks in weird folders, including the inbox, and an old recovered folder (see Capture 3 file).

Could the Todo list be writing tasks into the inbox folder?

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    79 KB · Views: 598
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    86.5 KB · Views: 599
You mail server bounced my last messages - it said you don't exist.

If the tasks are writing to the inbox, they should be converted to email - but there is definitely something wrong. Are they added to the Task folder too, or just the inbox?

On the forum problem - do you have scripting turned off? Try adding the site to ie's trusted zone.

You mail server bounced my last messages - it said you don't exist.

If the tasks are writing to the inbox, they should be converted to email - but there is definitely something wrong. Are they added to the Task folder too, or just the inbox?

On the forum problem - do you have scripting turned off? Try adding the site to ie's trusted zone.

Diane – thanks much.

There isn’t really a Tasks folder. There is a Todo List folder under the My Tasks heading. Here is the folder structure for the My Tasks area. (Attached file)

Playing around with it, I found that when I click on the Todo folder the tasks in the My List folder are shown in the todo list. However, when I select the My List folder and create a task there, only those My List tasks appear. The My List tasks also do NOT appear in the inbox. (Could this be a workaround or a fix?)

Isn’t there supposed to be a “Tasks” folder? Should I create one, and if it works correctly move all my tasks into it?

BTW #1: The forum seems to work for me in IE, but for some reason not in Chrome. Although it did work in Chrome when I first tried it….

BTW #2: Thank for resending, I fixed the return emailing problem.

Thanks again,

Roy

Attachments

• Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    61.1 KB · Views: 531
Yes, you should have a folder called Tasks in the default data file., I have no idea what happened to it - it normally can't be renamed or deleted.

Close Outlook. Press Windows key + R to open the run command and type (or paste)
Outlook.exe /resetfolders
then click ok. That should bring the missing task folder back.

The to-do list should show tasks from every data file in your profile (that is enabled for indexing/instant search).

Yes, you should have a folder called Tasks in the default data file., I have no idea what happened to it - it normally can't be renamed or deleted.

Close Outlook. Press Windows key + R to open the run command and type (or paste)
Outlook.exe /resetfolders
then click ok. That should bring the missing task folder back.

The to-do list should show tasks from every data file in your profile (that is enabled for indexing/instant search).

Hi Diane, I don't know if this was ever resolved. I had a similar problem and came across this post. I am not sure if the last person had all of his tasks showing in the inbox but i found a potential "fix" for individual ones.

When you create a task from a contact record in 2016 it wants to assign it to that person (as you know). Even when i click on cancel assignment the contact is now "stuck" to the task. I went to properties and saw that the task was linked to the contact. I tried taking out the contact link but the task still showed in the inbox. Simple solution, I just re-did the tasks from scratch in the to-do bar (in calendar) and that solved my problem.

Even when i click on cancel assignment the contact is now "stuck" to the task. I went to properties and saw that the task was linked to the contact.
This is correct - when you cancel an assignment, the person's contact will remain linked to the contact (this is the lazy way to link tasks to a contact, although its a bit less useful since 2010, with Activities gone.)

I tried taking out the contact link but the task still showed in the inbox.
This is in an exchange account? It definitely shouldn't be in the Inbox.... hmm... but it is. That is definitely a bug.

Never mind - i read the rest of the thread... (i thought it was about something else)

BTW, do you know when this started happening? I know they had some bugs over the winter that were fixed a couple of months ago - such as couldn't mark recurring tasks complete.

Last edited:
BTW, instead of redoing the task, either use the Move to folder command to move it or just drag it to the tasks button on the navigation pane.

Status
Not open for further replies.