"The properties of the message…have been changed" error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello all,

This is my first post and, indeed, my first Outlook custom form - please be gentle! I'm a complete newbie and my grasp of the jargon and conventions surrounding Outlook custom forms is non-existent. I also have zero coding experience. Zero. I am completely 'self-taught' and as a result, I know next to nothing.

So, I was tasked (unwisely - see above) to create a custom form for my department at work. The form is designed to be used by other teams to request tasks to be carried out by my team. To standardise the way tasks are requested (and to cut down on badly worded e-mail subjects), the form I created does away with the user-filled subject line and instead has several drop down boxes, which once complete, populate the subject field on the e-mail as it is received.

Everything works well and the subject field is populated as expected. However, the problem I'm having is as follows:

When a received message is opened via double click, and the resulting window is later closed, on closing an error message appears that reads:

"The properties of the message "…message subject…" have been changed. Do you want to save changes to this message"

I've had a reasonably extensive search around the web today and whilst there are others with this problem who've had their queries resolved, the solutions have been beyond my expertise/understanding. I know that something is being changed with the subject field, but I have no idea how to stop it or how to prevent the save message from popping up.

Any (simply worded) help would be hugely appreciated - even if it's only to provide me with an avenue of exploration. One reason I'm finding this so difficult to solve is because I lack the know how to accurately describe the problem or to locate a solution.

Please let me know if any further information would be useful in providing help

Thank you all very much in advance.

It's either nothing or the form is trying to update the subject...

The 'nothing' part refers to something that is outside of your control. One example is an HTML message that downloaded external content - you'll always get the message before closing because outlook sees a change. Some addins will trigger a similar error when absolutely no change is detectable. Short of disabling the addin or not downloading external content, you can't do anything to stop it.... just click No and go on.

Or... It might be seeing changes in the subject and you might be able to avoid it by tweaking the form. Can you post a copy of the form? Save it as a template (oft), change the file extension to txt and upload it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Cathy Rhone The properties of the message have been changed Using Outlook 1
U Outbox Message Stuck after reading some MailItem Properties with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V Folder Properties - Gmail account can't switch Using Outlook 5
M OUTLOOK 2013 CONTACT PROPERTIES Using Outlook 0
Werewolf Workaround for the missing Activities tab in Contact Folder Properties in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 2
S how to access the properties of a contact given distlist.member object Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S how to set user properties to a newly created appointment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
oliv- HOW TO GET PROPERTIES FOLLOW UP Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
O No Internet Header Properties Using Outlook 2
K how to Access Outlook Contact Properties Using Outlook 1
H Facility Mangaement using Exchange Resource Mailbox, Conflicts properties Using Outlook 5
P Changing File As Properties Using Outlook 7
B Custom Properties or Reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
A Expected behauvior when modifying properties? Outlook 2003. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
T Custom Contact Forms and User Properties Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Programmatically accessing Outlook properties Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
E Properties added to MailItem in ItemSend event visible to recipien Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Setting combobox properties from Outlook 2007 Add-in Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
W Displaying custom properties of a PDF DocumentItem Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
E Some question if I understand user properties correct Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
E Some question if I understand user properties correct Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
E User Properties vs. Hidden attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E User Properties vs. Hidden attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M user-defined properties in printed emails? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
T Propagating User Properties to Recipients Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Appointment item properties Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
K Accessing contact's custom properties in a Outlook 2007 form region Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Outlook custom properties Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Search message, then (1) Jump to folder & (2) Select message that you searched for Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
G Get current open draft message body from VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Outlook 365 Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - oMail.Delete not working when SEARCH Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 - Rule to Move an Incoming Message to Another Folder Using Outlook 4
F Outlook 2019 Forwarding Message and Keeping Unread Status Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - digitally sign email doesn't works Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Populate form data into message body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Outlook 365 Add keywords from Listbox to the message body where cursor is placed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B How to create a button that sorts and selects the most recent message with ONE click Using Outlook 2
P "Item could not be moved" message occurs frequently for IMAP inbox, Office 365 Using Outlook 0
A rule name into message - how? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
A Links in email getting error message about group policy Using Outlook 4
O How to find and replace a word in Outlook-Agenda-Subject and Message? Using Outlook 0
X Open Hyperlinks in an Outlook Email Message (Help with Diane's solution) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Commodore Unable to move message Using Outlook 3
Y Disable Microsoft Outlook Test Message Using Outlook 4
S Unable to change Message Class Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Changing Message Class Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Cathy Rhone Mail merge error message Using Outlook 1
C Can't Locate an Unread Message in my Outlook view pane Using Outlook 0