Question about address book in Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I have had this issue for a long time but other issues have taken priority. I thought that if I replied to an email the sender's email address should be added to my address book. Is that so or am I incorrect?

In Outlook 2010, if the person is not in your contacts, it will be added to the suggested contacts folder - this is assuming you didn't turn off the option to create contacts for people you send mail to. If you did, then the contact won't be created but it should be added to the autocomplete list and show up if you start typing their email address.

They are not being added how can I check to see if I didn't enable that feature?

Go to File, options, mail - about 2/3 of the way down is Send Messages section - auto name checking and use autocomplete list should be checked.

They were both checked already ??? Outlook forums should be in my address book as many times as we have emailed, it's not. I guess another Ghost in Outlook.

Those two apply to autocomplete - the names that come up when you start typing.

Do you know approximately when it stopped working? I know there is a feature change affecting Outlook 2016 that, in combination with a specific registry key I like using, breaks autocomplete. But I'm pretty sure only 2016 is affected. This first affected me in mid-June (on the insider build).

The actual "Suggested Contacts" feature that creates a Contacts folder called Suggested contacts is in Outlook 2010 only.

I'm a bit confused, my issue is people I reply to do not get added to my Outlook 2010 address book. The only ones in it are those I added. I don't understand the autocomplete stuff that you talked about.

I'm a bit confused, my issue is people I reply to do not get added to my Outlook 2010 address book.
Outlook 2010 has two ways of saving addresses - autocomplete and suggested contacts.

in this screenshot, the Folder in the folder list on the right is the suggested contacts feature - if a contact does not exist for an address, outlook creates a contact in that folder (to avoid polluting your main contacts folder). This is enabled in File, options, contacts - very last option in the dialog.

autocomplete.png

when you start addressing a message and a list of names and addresses comes up, that is autocomplete (red box on the right). These addresses are saved in a hidden file in the outlook data file and on your hard drive. These addresses are not visible anywhere else in outlook, except as you start typing in the address fields but there are are utilities that can create contacts from the autocomplete file.

I guess the way I thought Outlook added contacts was wrong. I don't have the "suggested Contacts folder nor do I see an option to add it. when I start to type names that are not in my contacts do pop out to give me people to chose from so I guess that is good enough.
Thanks for all your help

If you have Outlook 2010 and if you have that enabled in file, options, contact (and probably if you don't), you should have the folder.

AFAIK, they didn't remove it in an update (it wasn't removed here - I created a new profile in 2010 a few minutes ago to test something for another person and have it). It is in the contact navigation pane by default and is enabled as an address book, so it will show in the list of address sources when you click To.

This is my new test account - i sent some messages to one address not in the regular contacts folder and it was added to suggested contacts.

new-aol.png

Status
Not open for further replies.