Importing Ribbons Not Saved

Status
Not open for further replies.

srmsrm

Outlook version
Outlook 365 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I was using Outlook 2010 and just moved to Outlook 2016 (using Office 365). In both versions, I created custom ribbons for my contacts, tasks, editing emails, reading emails, opening screen and tasks. I exported the ribbons to a file so I can have them for future use.

In both 2010 and 2016 the ribbons I created revert back to default ribbons. How and when it happens I do not know. It is random. It happens to all the custom ribbons. For example, my custom contact ribbon would be OK and then when I open another contact the custom ribbon had been replaced. I import the custom ribbon again and go through the same process.

I have tried repair, new profile, reset the ribbons, etc. No matter what I do, eventually I lose my custom imported ribbons.

Am I just miss-understanding the use of custom ribbons?

Thank you for your time.

Shawn

i don't think you misunderstand anything... but i have noticed they are not stable when using the UI files on other computers (not the import of an exported backup). I back that folder up with Mozy and had to recover files many times. I finally gave up and made a new ribbon and so far, it seems to be ok.

Diane:

Thank you.

When you say "made a new ribbon", may I ask what you mean?

For the ribbons I created, I open "Customize the Ribbon" and uncheck everything, I then create a new tab with groups under that tab. I add in the commands I want and then export my settings to a file. I then click OK to start using my custom settings. It works OK for a bit, but then it reverts back. I then import my custom ribbon and go through the same process again where the ribbon reverts and I import my exported settings.

When you say "made a new ribbon", is there a different approach since you noted it seems to be working OK.

Shawn

Diane:

I keep trying different things in Outlook 2016 but my imported ribbon never stays around long. You noted above you had some luck creating a new ribbon.

I had provided my steps in my previous reply, but the custom ribbons just do not stay around. I have to keep importing them.

Are you doing something different when you noted "I finally gave up and made a new ribbon and so far, it seems to be ok."

Thank you.

Shawn

Diane:

In your initial reply on August 25, you noted
I finally gave up and made a new ribbon and so far, it seems to be ok.

May I ask how you created your new ribbon. Maybe I'm just missing a step since each time I access ribbons, customize, export it to save, it never sticks. I continually need to import the exported ribbon.

Diane

Do you know if there was any change with the ribbons? No matter how many times I create a new ribbon, it does not stick. I create it, export it, and multiple times I need to import again just to go through the same process again.

Shawn

When i make a ribbon, it sticks, mostly. I discovered restoring the customui file instead of importing the ribbon tended to break things. Are you using a user account or an administrator account?

Diane:

Thank you. I've always just exported/imported the custom file through the "Customize the Ribbon" dialog. I am an Admin on my W10 machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
HarvMan Importing PST into IMAP account Using Outlook 12
CWM550 Importing " Old Skool" Data Using Outlook 0
P Importing other e-mail accounts into Outlook Using Outlook 1
M How to setup outlook after importing old account information - Entering email account info creates with "(1)" after the account! Using Outlook 1
J Importing N2K from a different Exchange Server Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 Changing events in Outlook calendar via opening file, importing CSV Using Outlook 0
O Importing Mbox - anyone out there having experience with this tool... Using Outlook 2
D Importing Outlook Categories from another domain (Exchange 2016/Outlook 2016) Using Outlook 4
B Importing business card into Outlook for SIgnature Using Outlook 1
V importing appointments to non-default calendar? Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Importing Lists from Excel to Outlook Using Outlook 0
B Importing Text from Excel to Outlook 2013 Calender Using Outlook 0
CWM550 Importing from Eudora Update Using Outlook 5
CWM550 Importing from Eudora Using Outlook 7
N Importing Google contacts from CSV file removes recipient names in autocomplete list Using Outlook 0
S Importing emails to contacts Using Outlook 3
Z Importing PST files from Outlook 07 to Outlook mac Preview Using Outlook 1
Z how to make OL (2007) to use custom contact form when importing / opening .VCF? Using Outlook 1
P Importing Thunderbird email to outlook Using Outlook 2
K Importing appointment body from excel in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
A Importing too many emails from Gmail Using Outlook 2
J Importing to the correct calendar from Excel 2010 to Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Possible to link to ics file without importing? Using Outlook 4
L Importing Opportunities in to BCM 2013 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
K New to BCM - trouble importing contacts & accounts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
LarryH Importing csv file to custom form/fields? Using Outlook 3
T Importing Excel 2010 data into Outlook Calendar 2010 Using Outlook 12
W Importing .pst from Outlook 2010 (Win7) to Outlook 2013 (Win8.1) Using Outlook 2
V Importing Rules in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 2
D Importing custom fields into custom form in BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
V Problem not having Contacts folder after importing emails from Yahoo. Using Outlook 0
O Importing contacts from CSV, comma delimited Using Outlook 7
B importing Outlook from a backup on an external hard drive Using Outlook 5
M Trouble Importing folders from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 12
wallisellener BCM 2013 importing contacts from CSV file BCM (Business Contact Manager) 8
T BCM not importing address BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Importing OE6 e-mail to Outlook via Store Folder Using Outlook 9
A Trouble importing data to radio buttons Business Contact Manager 2010 (BCM) Using Outlook 2
H Importing Windows Live Mail Contact into Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
T Limit on importing Inbox mail from OE6 Using Outlook 16
Commodore Importing RSS on another computer (and feed locations) Using Outlook 8
M importing email address list from excel Using Outlook 6
O Importing pst, archive pst and address not working Using Outlook 17
N lose conditional formatting when importing to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
C dates missing when importing emails Using Outlook 5
I Importing Outlook form into calendar folder? Using Outlook 1
R Exporting and importing contacts in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
K Importing CSV contacts- doesnt allow me to map or move forward V 2007 Using Outlook 1
G Importing Excel contact data base into Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Importing .pst file Using Outlook 1