Outlook 2013 Any way to move .OST file to new system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Thomas

Best answers
Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
I have Outlook 2013 on a SSD boot drive (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, latest Creators Update etc), running 2 outlook.com accounts - both now working well with Microsoft Exchange.
I would like to move (copy) the two Outlook .ost files onto another newly-created Windows 10 Pro SSD drive - for the following reason:

The latest Windows major update has created havoc with my system in that Windows Defender cannot be made to start, and that blocks Windows Update for all other Windows system and Microsoft software. That's another story.

Can I install my Office 2013 Professional system onto the new SSD Windows 10, and then copy data and config files that Outlook has used from the 'problem' Windows system? The reason is to short-cut the gigabytes of download from outlook.com server to the new local machine. My experience is that this will take several days on my slow ADSL internet connection.

Ian Thomas

Best answers
Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Thanks Diane.
One comment there which you replied to concerns profiles made with ActiveSync.
My 2 outlook accounts were initially under ActiveSync but I assume that when (months ago) they were transitioned to Exchange Server, the procedure including the registry setting are OK as the article is written?

Diane Poremsky

Best answers
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
ActiveSync is not longer supported - those accounts should be set up as exchange accounts now (if you want calendar/contract sync) - they would use the OST key.

Ian Thomas

Best answers
Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
ActiveSync is not longer supported - those accounts should be set up as exchange accounts now (if you want calendar/contract sync) - they would use the OST key.
OK, as I thought.
Some months ago, you recommended using Outlook 32-bit rather than 64-bit, I think? Now that I have to re-install everything, and do have both 32- and 64-bit for Office 2013 - what would you say?

Diane Poremsky

Best answers
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The advice has not changed - unless you need large file support for excel or access, 32bit is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.