Status
Not open for further replies.

rseiler

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
This subject came up in the newsletter:

Outlook has recently started opening when the computer boots. I looked in the startup menu and task manager and Outlook is not listed anywhere. I don't want it to automatically open. How do I stop it?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is the result of an incredibly unwise, now-infamous feature introduced silently in Win10 16299 (FCU, 1709).

It affects all of Office 2016, and many other apps, too (not all). There's a rather sad, hate-filled thread about it here.

MS has relented a bit: In the 1803 release (April, 2018), you'll be able to go into an extremely obscure area of Settings to disable it. You already can in recent Windows Insider releases. You CANNOT do that in any current, non-Insider build, despite appearances.

It's a matter of debate whether it will still default to ON in 1803. MS says it won't, but there's no evidence of that so far in Insider builds. This is unfortunate, because almost no one will ever find where to disable it in Settings. And even if they do, they won't think anything of it, because for reasons only MS understands, it's being piggy-backed onto an unrelated function (Settings/Accounts/Sign-in options/Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart). Just to be clear: That exists in current versions of Windows, but it doesn't help with this issue--yet. For now, it's just something else entirely, and that alone. Smart place to put it, right?

About all that you can do for now about this issue, unless you remember to close every affected app before shutting down or restarting, is to shutdown or restart your PC differently, using shutdown.exe, which is a command-line utility. There are details on how to do that in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Outlook 2007 only loads some appointments Using Outlook 0
L Duplicate calendar entries in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 2
V Outlook 2021 Can anyone explain why my Outlook views keep changing?! Using Outlook 2
AlphonseG Outlook 365 Outlook Crashes on setting SaveSentMessageFolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Outlook 2021 How to customize colors Outlook 2021 & Office 2021 on PC Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2007 Recovering E-Mails Using Outlook 0
G Stop Outlook 365 adding meetings to calendar Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Using Emojis in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
T Outlook 2019 Not Using Auto Compete After Deletion of 365 Using Outlook 1
D Gmail mail is being delivered to a different email inbox in Outlook App 2021 Using Outlook 2
Albert McCann Outlook 2021 Outlook Display of HTML Email from two senders is glitchy Using Outlook 0
richardwing Outlook 365 VBA to access "Other Actions" menu for incoming emails in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Unable to delete folders in Outlook 2019 / Windows Using Outlook 1
K Outlook for Mac problems Using Outlook 0
D Outlook app 2021 & iCloud PST issues Using Outlook 2
M c# vsto Outlook.ApplicationEvents_11_NewMailEx Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Event/Meeting in Outlook Does Not Align with SharePoint Calendar Using Outlook 5
Christopher M Is it me, or is Outlook 365 BUGGY? Using Outlook 3
U Outlook on the iPhone cannot approve filtered Emails Using Outlook 0
J GoDaddy migrated to Office365 - Outlook Wont Add Account Exchange Server Administration 21
K Outlook 365 After migrating to Outlook 365, some contacts display in emails with prefixes Using Outlook 1
J Outlook Rules VBA Run a Script - Multiple Rules Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Horsepower Cannot delete gmail in iPhone Outlook outbox Using Outlook 1
F Outlook 2019 Outlook 2019 Add and Sync to New computer Comcast server Using Outlook 2
M Understanding Outlook Identities Using Outlook 1
kburrows Outlook or Phone Combining Contacts? Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2013 search no longer works Using Outlook 2
M Accessing ALL Outlook contact fields Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
C Outlook (desktop app for Microsoft365) restarts every time I save my VBA? Using Outlook 0
R MailTips and older Outlook versions Using Outlook 0
A iCloud Outlook Add In is causing Outlook 2021 to crash and got disabled Using Outlook 9
C How to import Outlook calendar? Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Outlook 365 loses "outlook.com" exchange server settings Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Outlook.com Account Using Outlook 3
D Office 365 Outlook desktop app prompts for all account passwords on startup Using Outlook 6
D Alerts in outlook Using Outlook 1
richardwing Auto forward email that is moves into a specific outlook folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
L Recommendations for Utility to Backup Outlook 365 Account Settings Using Outlook 2
J Recommendations for Outlook Duplicate Email Remover Using Outlook 6
O Outlook - How to embed font ? (If at all possible) Using Outlook 2
Z New minimum Outlook for Windows version requirements for Microsoft 365/Exchange Online Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 26
T How to configure Outlook for two users on a single Windows account Using Outlook 3
R Outlook 2021 Having problem setting up outlook 2021 with windows 11. I have 3 gmail accounts and I want the 3 gmail, emails to merge into the same outlook input. Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 all appointments not showing in calendar Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 365 Can I change the possible range of highlighting colours when writing an Outlook email? Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 213 keeps crashing. I just found out there are DMP files. How can I tell Why? Using Outlook 2
H Outlook 2016 related mails in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
S Outlook 2021 Can you make emails from 3 word domains "safe" by entering top 2 word domain into Safe List in Outlook? Using Outlook 1
@ Outlook Using Outlook 2
kburrows Outlook 365 - Ribbon Customizations Disappear Using Outlook 0