Jeff Gellman

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Operating system::    Windows 10 (64)
Outlook version:     Outlook 365 desktop
Email type or host:    Microsoft 365 / Catch All box

As I have have great difficulties getting the RULES section of Outlook 365 to consistently perform with a 'catch all' box-- So...

I regularly sort the catch all box by sender address (and then do the same process with recipient address) and manually scroll through the results using CTRL-click to select each of the sorted result groups with at least three entries. Three was arbitrarily chosen as it indicates a "reasonably large" number of entries from the same sender.

I then mass delete all the selected results... and repeat the process sorted by recipient.

This maintenance process works well to keep the total number of emails down and doesn't take too long to perform. However, given the repetitive nature of the process, it seems that it should be relatively easy to create a script/macro/whatever that perform the sort and automatically select the appropriate headers for deletion based on the count of emails in each group.

Can anyone give me some suggestions where to start? I'm sure it could be done in VBA, but I'm looking for a simpler approach.

Thanks!

J.

Sorting is easy - getting the count is more difficult. That may or may not be slow, depending on the number of senders.

I have a macro that deletes duplicates by subject - it could look for by sender but it would delete more than 1 per sender, not if more than 2. It's slow.

Sorting is easy - getting the count is more difficult. That may or may not be slow, depending on the number of senders.

I have a macro that deletes duplicates by subject - it could look for by sender but it would delete more than 1 per sender, not if more than 2. It's slow.
As usual, "Diane to the rescue!" Over the years (like 20!) you have reliably been THE source for solving issues I have raised.

I see the basic strategy used in your macro and was wondering if it could be modified to manage a brute force (but more simplistic) method:

1. Sort the messages
2. Loop through each message, one at a time, incrementing each time the (for example) sender matches the previous email OR resets the counter if not.
3. Test if the count reaches 3 (or whatever) and if so, effect a delete of all the emails from that sender and restart the process at the next new sender in the big loop. OR alternatively:

I'd even be happy to simply delete the current email if it matches the prior-- effectively deleting duplicates and allowing a single loop through the emails. While this would leave the first dup in the mix, it would easily reduce the emails by all but one of the dups.

Of course, it would also be prudent to make sure the subject lines match before doing a delete--- but it is VERY rare that I am dealing with more than one subject line from the same sender. And since this is inside a catch all, the likelihood of losing something that MIGHT actually be valuable is really rare.

I think these strategies minimize the need to have a total count before removing duplicates.

Thoughts (AND, AGAIN, THANK YOU!)?

J.

>>
1. Sort the messages
2. Loop through each message, one at a time, incrementing each time the (for example) sender matches the previous email OR resets the counter if not.
3. Test if the count reaches 3 (or whatever) and if so, effect a delete of all the emails from that sender and restart the process at the next new sender in the big loop. OR alternatively:
>>

#1 is doable. #2 / 3 is where I need to think on it - obviously, looping works - but I'm trying to think how to do the count.

>>
1. Sort the messages
>>

#1 is doable. #2 / 3 is where I need to think on it - obviously, looping works - but I'm trying to think how to do the count.
Your approach is solid! Sorting the messages and then iterating through them makes the process efficient. Ty

As I have have great difficulties getting the RULES section of Outlook 365 to consistently perform with a 'catch all' box-- So...

I regularly sort the catch all box by sender address (and then do the same process with recipient address) and manually scroll through the results using CTRL-click to select each of the sorted result groups with at least three entries. Three was arbitrarily chosen as it indicates a "reasonably large" number of entries from the same sender.

I then mass delete all the selected results... and repeat the process sorted by recipient.

This maintenance process works well to keep the total number of emails down and doesn't take too long to perform. However, given the repetitive nature of the process, it seems that it should be relatively easy to create a script/macro/whatever that perform the sort and automatically select the appropriate headers for deletion based on the count of emails in each group.

Can anyone give me some suggestions where to start? I'm sure it could be done in VBA, but I'm looking for a simpler approach.

Thanks!

J.
You know, that consider using Exclaimer Signatures for Office 365. It automates email signature management, saving time and ensuring consistency without the need for complex scripting.

Might it work for you?