Darrell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrell

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Hello - have been reading your article on how to move outlook on your old computer to your new computer. However, I wish to move from my old machine to another "newer" machine which already has an outlook account set up and running. Whilst I am ready to begin moving files over, I note that the "newer" machine's Outlook folder understandably has NK2, dat, srs files etc on it already. Can I proceed with moving the .pst and its associated files from the old machine to the "newer" machine or do the files on newer machine need to be deleted first? Thank you

If you are going to use the NK2 on the new machine and the profile names are the same, you can overwrite the old one, but it might be less confusing to delete (or move) the folder contents first. Same for the pst files.

I would make a subfolder in the two Outlook folders and move the contents of the folders to the subfolders then move the contents of those folders over from the old machine.

If you are going to use the NK2 on the new machine and the profile names are the same, you can overwrite the old one, but it might be less confusing to delete (or move) the folder contents first. Same for the pst files.

I would make a subfolder in the two Outlook folders and move the contents of the folders to the subfolders then move the contents of those folders over from the old machine.

Thank you for your reply. However I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. First, the NK2 file names are the same on both machines. You appear to be suggesting 3 options.

1. Overwrite files on "newer" machine with files taken from old machine.

2. Delete all the files on the "newer" machine and then copy the files from the old machine onto the new machine.

3. Create subfolders - are you saying create 2 subfolders on the old machine, one for the PST files (I have an archive.pst as well as an outlook.pst on my old machine) and one for NK2 file? When you say "move the contents of those folders over from the old machine" are you referring to the contents in the newly created subfolders on the old machine?

I'm assuming that from your above answer that you would recommend option 3 rather than overwriting or deletion?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Yes, I recommend #3 as its less invasion - you can recover files if needed.

You can either do like i did in the screenshot and put a folder in each of the locations outlook uses and move the folder contents to it or move the folder contents to a folder somewhere else. In a couple of weeks, when everything seems ok, you can delete the subfolders.

backup-folder.png

Hi Diane. I have taken your recommendation and followed through on the rest of the instructions in the article. However, having opening outlook I have no contacts, none of my subfolders are in the inbox and no archive folders or emails. What did happen was Outlook started to download over 12,000 emails - presumably all the emails still sitting on the server. Do you have any idea what I have done wrong or not done? Thank you

That is pretty typical when you leave mail on the server. Two options: move the mail on the server to a different folder so its out of the inbox. It will still be accessible online, but outlook won't download it. Or download it and delete the old mail later - you can sort by the last modified field, select all then delete or take outlook offline and create a rule to move the mail to the deleted items folder - outlook has an option to apply rules to mail received between dates that will let you move really old mail but not today's new mail. (Assuming the option to delete from server when you delete from outlook.)

If you use gmail, you can configure gmail not to offer older messages when using pop3. I don't know if other mail servers offer this, but its worth checking the account via web access.

That is pretty typical when you leave mail on the server. Two options: move the mail on the server to a different folder so its out of the inbox. It will still be accessible online, but outlook won't download it. Or download it and delete the old mail later - you can sort by the last modified field, select all then delete or take outlook offline and create a rule to move the mail to the deleted items folder - outlook has an option to apply rules to mail received between dates that will let you move really old mail but not today's new mail. (Assuming the option to delete from server when you delete from outlook.)

If you use gmail, you can configure gmail not to offer older messages when using pop3. I don't know if other mail servers offer this, but its worth checking the account via web access.

Are you able to through any light on why my contacts, inbox subfolders and their contents and the archive folders did not come across?

Did you copy the pst file they were in from the old computer to the new one?

Did you copy the pst file they were in from the old computer to the new one?

Hello Diane

How can you tell what is in a pst. file?

I have thoroughly searched through my old computer and there are only 2 pst. files - both of these were copied onto the newer computer last night along with the NK2 file prior to firing up outlook. In case this useful to you, I have listed the outlook files and their locations on my old computer - the files in bold text were copied to the newer computer:

C:\Documents and Settings\Becky\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

• archive.pst (1,113,289KB)
  • extend.dat
  • Outlook.sharing.xml.obi

C:\Documents and Settings\Becky\My Documents\MS Outlook

• archive.pst (265KB)
  • outlook.pst (394,833KB)

C:\Documents and Settings\Becky\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

• outlook.dat
  • Outlook.NK2
  • Outlooksrs
  • Outlook.xml
  • Outprnt

Look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks, Darrell

Your calendar and contacts should be in the outlook.pst from the my documents folder and the archive is likely the once named archive. :)

You opened both pst files in the profile - not imported - and switched to the folder list (Ctrl+6) to look at the folders?

Your calendar and contacts should be in the outlook.pst from the my documents folder and the archive is likely the once named archive. :)

You opened both pst files in the profile - not imported - and switched to the folder list (Ctrl+6) to look at the folders?

Hello Diane and thanks for your response. I'm probably being a bit dim but I do not understand your second sentence.

Are you saying that I should have opened the pst files on my old computer as part of the checking/copying process prior to putting them on the newer computer?

Incidentally, I have sought to open the pst files but a window pops up saying that Windows is unable to open the file and that I need to source a program from the web to do so?? Can you clarify please. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back