Emile

Status
Not open for further replies.

emile

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Can someone please tell me how to move emails from Outlook into a folder without the "received" date changing to the current date? It drives me nuts that when a week old file is filed in a project folder, the date does not stay a week old, but becomes today's date. (FYI I store all emails in approptiately titled folders in each project folder and it is important for retrieval that dates reflect received/sent accurately.)

Are you sure you are looking at the received date and not the modified date? The received date should not change once its downloaded into outlook. The modified date will change when you move it.

Are you sure you are looking at the received date and not the modified date? The received date should not change once its downloaded into outlook. The modified date will change when you move it.

thanks for the reply, Larry,

I tried turning on the date received column in Explorer, but all that happens is the date displayed is the current date (date modified) and the date received column remains blank. It's almost as though the act of dragging it out of Outlook into an Explorere folder serves to modify the email, which is bizarre. It means that unless I move it immediately after reading it, it will be out of sequence in the tree making it harder to back track.

If you are in explorer, the dates you see in the list view will be the date you moved it into the file system. If you open the message the date will be the correct received date. The file system dates don't use the received date. There are utilties for windows that you could use to "touch" the message and change the file date.

thanks, Diane,

what you describe is what occurs - per my original post, but better expressed.

But that's not what I need to accomplish, and maybe it is a defect in Explorer's capabilities. Old versions did not do this (I think)

Aside from trying to find and retrieve emails which have the wrong file attributes (notwitstanding the content remains unchanged) there is the matter of evidence: it my be important that an email forwarded to a third party by dragging out of a file in explorer has an incorrect date in its attributes and that the third party becomes concerned at the discrepancy. This is particularly relevant if numerous emails are displayed and all with dates bearing no relation to created/received.

Consider also that I might make a new folder and collect a number of emails into it for some purpose, and that might be years after the date - they will all have the current date, which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Why can't an email dragged from Outlook three days after receipt, and dropped into Explorer have the three day old date?

The only solution I can think if is to print everything as a PDF and ditch the email containers. That would be tiresome.

Re:pDF - if you have Acrobat, the page feature makes an excellent uinversal archive.

As for date in a forwarded email, the date in the header cant be changed and that is where outlook gets it from - unless the header isn't saved when you move the message to the file system.

Oh, now I understand the problem. I thought you were working in Outlook folders.

I can think of three possible solutions:

1. don't drag the messages out of Outlook. Move them into a "project" pst file instead.

2. Attach the messages to a message - the dates on the attachments won't be touched at all.

3. Add the date to the subject field before taking it out of outlook.

But does the actual email date change when its put back in outlook? It shouldn't as that is a non-editable property. (In a quick test here,the date is correct on an open message.)

What you really need is a macro that adds the received date to the filename (in Explorer). I know some of the archive utilities do this when you archive to the file system, but you'll need a simpler system that kicks in when you drag. Slipstick has a list of housekeeping addins and at least one, efiler, might do what you want.

Thanks, Larry,

Yes I move files out of Outlook into Explorer.

I am an architect, so I may have as many as a dozen different file types in any Job folder (in Explorer) and sub folders filed as correspondence (*.wpd), schedules (*.xls, *.123), drawings (*.dwg, *.pla), images (*.jpg, *.tiff) and so on. My Outlook tree is a "model of efficiency and systematised organisation" (if I say so myself) - I would go nuts otherwise, as you might imagine. I am legally obliged to keep files for 6 years, after which I purge them and save only milestone drawings and documents just in case I get a subpoena served by a fishing lawyer.

Emails are (legal) correspondence and maintenance of integrity is essential. Although the msg date changes when dragged, the received date in the email header (once opened) is constant, but it has to be opened to find that out. My issues centre on the problem that, if I drag emails into or forward emails out of Outlook folders the file date shown in the tree / attachment is wrong and may lead to confusion or rejection. It also makes finding one back that much harder than it has to be.

Explorer has a "received date" option, which does not work. whatever dates you display, they are all the same, namely the date it was dragged into the folder, the "modified" date.

I did try Diane's PDF solution, but it is a long way around (if elegant) and takes minutes ratehr than the few seconds to drag and drop. I'll check out your suggested add-ons and see where they take me.

thanks again, for taking the time and trouble to think about this.

Emile.

PS: I don't know if you are a Dr. Seuss fan, but this is rather good ...

Why Computers Sometimes Crash! by Dr. Seuss.
(for the modern tot!)

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,

and the bus is interrupted at a very last resort,

and the access of the memory makes your floppy disk abort,

then the socket packet pocket has an error to report.

If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash,

and double-clicking icons puts your windows in the trash,

and your data is corrupted cause the index doesn't hash,

then your situation's hopeless and your system's gonna crash!

If the label on the cable on the table at your house,

says the network is connected to the button on your mouse,

but your packets want to tunnel to another protocol,

that's repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall......

And your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss,

so your icons on the desktop are as wavy as a souse;

then you may as well reboot and go out with a bang,

'cos sure as I'm a poet, the bugger’s gonna hang.

When the copy on your floppy's getting sloppy in the disk,

and the macro code instructions cause unwanted angst or risk,

then you'll have to flash the BIOS and you'll want to RAM your ROM,

just quickly turn the darn thing off and run to tell your Mom!

The recieved date field is set by Windows Mail or Live Mail, AFAIK and used only with EML format. (Exporting to Mail would be an even longer way around and it might not work as expected.)

What you need to do is copy the messages to the file system as they arrive, although that's not a perfect solution either, as they won't be identified as being replied to or forwarded.

I have been trying to drag & drop emails as read, on the day, but it is not always either possible or desirable (don't ask!)

I've just downloaded a trial of "Message Save" from Slipstick. It might solve my problems.

thanks,

Emile.

I certainly understand the 'not possible or desireable' part - there are a lot of things that are possible but really aren't the best option.

Hi Emile,

I saw your post and thought I would tell you about our eFiler Outlook add-in, which is designed to do exactly what you are looking for, and to offer you a free seat.

Like Message Save, eFiler saves emails into folders in the file system. It files them intact as msg files, complete with their attachments. Crucially, eFiler also has a very powerful search tool so you can find your saved emails and attachments without leaving Outlook.

Irradiant eFiler features drag and drop filing, location suggestion, the ability to forward emails as zipped attachments, as well as the ability to send links to saved emails (and, from Windows Explorer, any other kind of file) to your colleagues to share them without duplication.

To find out more please visit http://efiler.co.uk and get in touch to claim your free seat.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back