How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com)

Kika Melo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
The situation I was asked to help with is: My friend uses her Gmail account on Outlook.com (i.e., not Office Outlook). Her Inbox is choc-a-block with Junk/Spam type of email, to the point that she is giving up using email (and, thus, missing some time-sensitive important messages which go unread!!!).
It would be good if, in the first instance, she could insert a filter/rule dictating that only messages which are sent from people in her Contacts list are considered Safe Senders and be accepted into the main Inbox folder (or be automatic moved to a sub-folder named, e.g., 'From Contacts Only'). Consequently, any incoming message whose email address does not exist in her Contacts list, would automatically go to the Junk Mail folder.
So, first questions: how can this be done? I could not find any Setting in Outlook.com to do exactly this, so is there a need for a VBA code or something else?

Once this is done, it would obviously raise the issue that there may be genuine messages from new, legitimate senders, whose addresses are not yet in her Contacts List, and which would end up in the Junk Mail folder. Therefore, in the second instance, she should thereafter check the Junk Mail and identify genuine messages of her interest and mark them as 'Safe Senders'. Questions" would she still need to formally add those addresses to her Contacts List, or would it not matter regarding the rule?

Hi, the only place I can find any reference to Junk Email using Contacts is in Outlook (in Office).
  1. Under Junk Email Options > Options, select "Safe Lists Only".
  2. Under Junk Email Options > Safe Senders, check "Also trust e-mail from my Contacts" and "Automatically add people I e-mail to the Safe Senders List.
I have not tested this, but is something you may wish to examine.

Hi, the only place I can find any reference to Junk Email using Contacts is in Outlook (in Office).
  1. Under Junk Email Options > Options, select "Safe Lists Only".
  2. Under Junk Email Options > Safe Senders, check "Also trust e-mail from my Contacts" and "Automatically add people I e-mail to the Safe Senders List.
I have not tested this, but is something you may wish to examine.
Thanks for the suggestion, HarvMan. However, this only works for the MS Office Outlook, not for the Online Outlook...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
7 Macro to mark message as junk and delete Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
K mark emails with colour manually (like in thunderbird) Using Outlook 1
V Macro to mark email with a Category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
DoctorJellybean Outlook 365 doesn't always mark emails as read Using Outlook 3
O Office 365 Outlook - mark to download Using Outlook 0
S Codes for "Mark Complete" the task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Mark as Unread unless Categorized by Color Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Mark Sent Items as Read After Copying with a Rule Using Outlook 0
M Mark Complete keyboard shortcut... on a mac running Windows Bootcamp Using Outlook 0
T Adding "Mark As Complete" btton to Task Remindet Pop-Up Using Outlook 3
F Automatically close email after selecting mark unread Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2013 either fails to mark messages as read or marks them as read, then un-marks them. Using Outlook 1
Mary B VBscript: Need to copy every email to a folder & mark that copy as read Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
C Mark all incoming emails as read Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M How do I mark emails already received as read when I get a second, different email based on subject? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
T outlook 2013 does not mark multiple forward messages as forward Using Outlook 2
V Mark BCC when emails is sent from specific account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Outlook 2010: how to mark messages without opening? Eg for deletion Using Outlook 2
Z Mark moved copies as "Read" Using Outlook 19
Z "Mark All as Read" in Outlook 2007 extremely slow Using Outlook 1
N Mark or follow up emails in shared mailbox Using Outlook 2
H mark as read per folder options Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2010 search for question mark in calendar Using Outlook 7
M Can't mark appointments as private for other user Using Outlook 1
A Mark all as read for public folders Using Outlook 14
I Pound Symbol in emails show as � (black diamond with white question mark inside) - Office 2010. Using Outlook 11
N Changing the 'Mark item as read when selection changes' at runtime Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Move Sent Email to archival pst folder and mark as read - HOW TO Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Mark copy of sent email as read - VBA? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Pasting into Outlook 2003 produces blue question mark Using Outlook 2
J Mark as read Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Mark as read Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
R Macro to mark item unread Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T Setting a delegate to not mark items as read Using Outlook 9
J Why are my Junk options shown as slashed off Using Outlook 6
Jay Freedman Outlook forgets "not junk" marking Using Outlook 0
J How to Block junk/spam domain Using Outlook 0
CWM550 Outlook 365 Hey Diane! MS 365 Biz Standard and "Potential Spam" addressed to others coming to my JUNK folder? Using Outlook 2
P What is your strategy for dealing with SPAM and Junk Mail? Using Outlook 1
Geldner Tweak Junk Email Reporting tool to default to particular email on send? Using Outlook 3
J how to stop junk emails from *.onmicrosoft.com ? Using Outlook 2
C Outlook 2007 Removing then adding account restores junk email processing Using Outlook 0
T Junk Email does not get added to the Blocked Sender List Using Outlook 0
F Junk Email does not get added to the Blocked Sender List Using Outlook 4
T How can you include Junk Email in Search Results like you can include Deleted Items? Using Outlook 3
Retired Geek Junk Folder Clean Up Rules Exchange Server Administration 1
I Junk Mail and PersonMetadata Using Outlook 2
F Outlook 2016 Junk E-Mails Using Outlook 5
J Junk mail doesn't work Using Outlook 3
T New Account Shows No Junk Mail Folfer Using Outlook 0