emojis or emoctions and all the other nice stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rupert Dragwater

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Are these little things such as :) called emojis or emoctions? Anyway, here's what's up. I'm using Outlook 2013 and in all new emails, when I type the :) this immediately goes into a smiley face.
When I type it in "some" replies, it still turns to a smiley face BUT in some replies, it does not change but remains as the emojis or emoctions, whatever these things are called.
Is there a reason for that, such as the sender sending in Plain Text or is there something else awry?

Emoji are the picture replacements for ascii emoticons. Emoticons are the general collection of of both ASCII representations and images.
List of emoticons - Wikipedia

Plain text will do it, since it doesn't support embedded images. Now... depending on the recipient's mail client, it may show as an icon there whether you see the icon or not. In modern usage, you don't send the image as an embedded icon, its rendered on the recipients side using the icon collection that client uses.

Thanks for the explanation regarding the emoji & emoticons. As to sending a :) in a reply, that original mail didn't have them (or attempt to) have them in the original mail sent to me. I noticed when I replied to them, I put the :) in that reply and it didn't turn to the Guy Smiley, well, the smiley face. When I reply to others, it works, so I thought it might be they were sending in Plain Text but wasn't 100% sure.
One individual still uses Eudora for mail, which is a real up-to-date email program and I was wondering if that would cause the :) not to show up or I suppose again, if this one was sending in Plain Text, it therefore for sure won't show up in my response.
Thanks again Diane! Always appreciate your help.

One individual still uses Eudora for mail, which is a real up-to-date email program and I was wondering if that would cause the :) not to show up or I suppose again, if this one was sending in Plain Text, it therefore for sure won't show up in my response.
they should see the : and ), not the image. (Unlike the old way where autocorrect used wingdings and apple devices shows J instead.)

Status
Not open for further replies.