Search: Cannot find which Folder Contains a Message

Biffo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
There appears not to be any way to find out in which folder a message is located, when found by search (OL 2016 and, I believe 2013).

Picture this:
You search for a message you've sent (to:mum) and Outlook comes up with a list. You've already got the column header 'In Folder' and all your messages to mum are listed as being in Sent Items.

You've got a dozen accounts set up: how do you find out in which Sent Items folder your message resides?

I have researched this fairly widely and there is No Published Answer that works and applies to OL 2016, as far as I can tell.

N.B. 1) The precise search specificed above is Not The Only Search I'm interested in -- a generally-applicable answer is what many people, besides me, are looking for. So please don't say, "Open the message and see which account it was sent from". This doesn't answer the question because, for example:
i) the message may have been moved
ii) it's not a general answer
iii) Outlook can behave quite perversely wrt filing if you have many accounts and a non-default configuration of data files that contain their messages.

N.B. 2) If you're the sort of person who says things like, "I really don't understand why you would want to know that", please just say it to yourself and move on. On the other hand, if you have a way in which this obvious, simple, necessary, idiotic-not-to-make-it-clear-in-the-first-level-of-the-GUI-how-to-achieve-it requirement can be met, I will worship at your feet if you tell me.

Many thanks,

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
OL 2016 and, I believe 2013).
... or older.

Yeah, this is a "known issue". Instant search & the 'in folder' field will show you the folder name of the selected item but nothing more. (it's also on the Properties field of the item)

This is one way around it: How to Find Folder Paths in Outlook Mailboxes - Outlook Tips - it still works in 2016.

A simple macro will list the full path (of the selected item):
Sub FindMessagePath()
Set objItem = Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)
MsgBox objItem.Parent.FolderPath
End Sub

You could open the folder, but that takes a bit more code - Michael has a code sample here (this works with open or selected item):
Get the Message Folder - VBOffice

Dossmer

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2013
Hi Diane, this workaround doesn't seem to be working for me. Is there somewhere a detailed step-by-step guide? I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
That's the advanced find method? What happens when you try? Do you have all updates installed? Advanced find was removed from a 2016 build over the summer but its back in current builds. The video at the link shows how to do it -

run instant search, open found item. If you know the data file and just need the folder name, look on the File tab. If you need to find where the folder is, click Ctrl+Shift+F to open Advanced find.

current-folder.png

the folder the message is in is listed in the In folder field. Click browse to see where that folder.

find-path.png