Could not retrieve IMessage: Interface not supported

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

On some of my customers' machines, I'm receiving the following error

when my code accesses the SafeMailItem.Recipients property:

"Could not retrieve IMessage: Interface not supported"

I'm using Redemption 4.3 via late binding and registration-free COM.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff
 
D

Dmitry Streblechenko

Do you by any chnace have both Exchange Server and Outlook on the same

machine?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)

-

"Jeff" <budajeff@gmail.com> wrote in message

news:df1c088a-79af-4330-ac88-e4d2ca931ff7@z19g2000vbz.googlegroups.com...
> On some of my customers' machines, I'm receiving the following error
> when my code accesses the SafeMailItem.Recipients property:

> "Could not retrieve IMessage: Interface not supported"

> I'm using Redemption 4.3 via late binding and registration-free COM.

> Any ideas?

> Thanks,
> Jeff
 
J

Jeff

I presume not, but I will double check. Also, I believe that we are

using Redemption 4.7, not 4.3 as I wrote in my original post.

The customer ran the Repair feature of Outlook 2007's installer, and

that did not help. It seems that all of our Outlook COM and Redemption

code works, except the Recipients property.

We installed a previous version of our product that uses a 2006-era

version of Redemption, and the errors went away.

We were able to duplicate the error message on a test machine by

installing Outlook 2007, then installing Outlook 2003, and then un-

installing Outlook 2003. The error went away once we Repaired Outlook

2007.

On May 20, 8:17 pm, "Dmitry Streblechenko" <dmi...@dimastr.com> wrote:
> Do you by any chnace have both Exchange Server and Outlook on the same
> machine?

> > Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
>

> -"Jeff" <budaj...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> news:df1c088a-79af-4330-ac88-e4d2ca931ff7@z19g2000vbz.googlegroups.com...
>
> > On some of my customers' machines, I'm receiving the following error
> > when my code accesses the SafeMailItem.Recipients property:

>
> > "Could not retrieve IMessage: Interface not supported"

>
> > I'm using Redemption 4.3 via late binding and registration-free COM.

>
> > Any ideas?

>
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff
 
D

Dmitry Streblechenko

Yes, that is a strong indication that you have 2 versions of MAPI

installed - MailItem.MAPIOBJECT marshaling from the outlook.exe address

space to your app is done by the version of MAPI loaded by Outlook, while it

gets unmarshalled by another version of MAPI loaded by Redemption in your

app address space.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)

-

"Jeff" <budajeff@gmail.com> wrote in message

news:bdce68a9-43fe-4389-8e4d-1ac70475acc1@r13g2000vbr.googlegroups.com...

I presume not, but I will double check. Also, I believe that we are

using Redemption 4.7, not 4.3 as I wrote in my original post.

The customer ran the Repair feature of Outlook 2007's installer, and

that did not help. It seems that all of our Outlook COM and Redemption

code works, except the Recipients property.

We installed a previous version of our product that uses a 2006-era

version of Redemption, and the errors went away.

We were able to duplicate the error message on a test machine by

installing Outlook 2007, then installing Outlook 2003, and then un-

installing Outlook 2003. The error went away once we Repaired Outlook

2007.

On May 20, 8:17 pm, "Dmitry Streblechenko" <dmi...@dimastr.com> wrote:
> Do you by any chnace have both Exchange Server and Outlook on the same
> machine?

> > Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
>

>

> -"Jeff" <budaj...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> news:df1c088a-79af-4330-ac88-e4d2ca931ff7@z19g2000vbz.googlegroups.com...
>
> > On some of my customers' machines, I'm receiving the following error
> > when my code accesses the SafeMailItem.Recipients property:

>
> > "Could not retrieve IMessage: Interface not supported"

>
> > I'm using Redemption 4.3 via late binding and registration-free COM.

>
> > Any ideas?

>
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff
 
J

Jeff

On May 22, 2:39 pm, "Dmitry Streblechenko" <dmi...@dimastr.com> wrote:
> Yes, that is a strong indication that you have 2 versions of MAPI
> installed - MailItem.MAPIOBJECT marshaling from the outlook.exe address
> space to your app is done by the version of MAPI loaded by Outlook, whileit
> gets unmarshalled by another version of MAPI loaded by Redemption in your
> app address space.

> > Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
>

> -"Jeff" <budaj...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> news:bdce68a9-43fe-4389-8e4d-1ac70475acc1@r13g2000vbr.googlegroups.com...
> I presume not, but I will double check. Also, I believe that we are
> using Redemption 4.7, not 4.3 as I wrote in my original post.

> The customer ran the Repair feature of Outlook 2007's installer, and
> that did not help. It seems that all of our Outlook COM and Redemption
> code works, except the Recipients property.

> We installed a previous version of our product that uses a 2006-era
> version of Redemption, and the errors went away.

> We were able to duplicate the error message on a test machine by
> installing Outlook 2007, then installing Outlook 2003, and then un-
> installing Outlook 2003. The error went away once we Repaired Outlook
> 2007.

> On May 20, 8:17 pm, "Dmitry Streblechenko" <dmi...@dimastr.com> wrote:
>
> > Do you by any chnace have both Exchange Server and Outlook on the same
> > machine?

>
> > > > Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> >

> >

> > -"Jeff" <budaj...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>
> >news:df1c088a-79af-4330-ac88-e4d2ca931ff7@z19g2000vbz.googlegroups.com....

>
> > > On some of my customers' machines, I'm receiving the following error
> > > when my code accesses the SafeMailItem.Recipients property:

>
> > > "Could not retrieveIMessage: Interface not supported"

>
> > > I'm using Redemption 4.3 via late binding and registration-free COM.

>
> > > Any ideas?

>
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jeff


We've also been able to duplicate the error message by setting the

default mail client to be Outlook Express instead of Outlook 2007. I

suspect that is the cause of the issue that our customer is

experiencing, as they do have Outlook Express set to be the default

mail client for reasons I won't get in to.

If you have any suggestions based on that information, let me know. I

wanted to post this in case it helps some one else in the future.

Thanks,

Jeff

Are
 
J

Jeff

I have a couple more findings that I want to share w/ everyone.

1)

Something in Redemption.dll changed between v3.4 and v4.5 that causes

my original issue. Simply by switching to different versions of my

custom Redemption dll, I was able to make the issue appear and

disappear.

2)

The solution to this issue is to add Redemption.dll (or your

customized Redemption dll name) to the following registry key:

Parent registry key name:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

\MSMapiApps

New key Name:

Redemption.dll (or your customized Redemption dll name)

New key Data:

"Microsoft Outlook"

This will tell Windows to route all extended mapi calls coming from

any process that has Redeption.dll loaded into memory to use the

extended mapi routing information found at the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook

My original problem was caused by Redemption's extended mapi calls to

be routed to Outlook Express and not Outlook. Older version of

Redemption seems to be unaffected by this.

See the following for mapi call routing details:

Explicitly Mapping MAPI Calls to MAPI DLLs

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd162405.aspx

Mapi32.dll Stub Registry Settings

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd162409.aspx

Note that this issue only happens if Outlook 2007 is installed and

Outlook Express is set to be the default mail client. Also note that

I'm not registering (via regsvr32.exe) my custom Redemption dll, I'm

using registration free COM.

Does anyone know which installer is responsible for maintaining

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

\MSMapiApps ?

Thanks,

jb
 
J

Jeff

On May 27, 1:18 pm, Jeff <budaj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a couple more findings that I want to share w/ everyone.

> 1)
> Something in Redemption.dll changed between v3.4 and v4.5 that causes
> my original issue. Simply by switching to different versions of my
> custom Redemption dll, I was able to make the issue appear and
> disappear.

> 2)
> The solution to this issue is to add Redemption.dll (or your
> customized Redemption dll name) to the following registry key:

> Parent registry key name:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem
> \MSMapiApps

> New key Name:
> Redemption.dll (or your customized Redemption dll name)

> New key Data:
> "Microsoft Outlook"

> This will tell Windows to route all extended mapi calls coming from
> any process that has Redeption.dll loaded into memory to use the
> extended mapi routing information found at the following registry key:

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook

> My original problem was caused by Redemption's extended mapi calls to
> be routed to Outlook Express and not Outlook. Older version of
> Redemption seems to be unaffected by this.

> See the following for mapi call routing details:

> Explicitly Mapping MAPI Calls to MAPI DLLshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd162405.aspx

> Mapi32.dll Stub Registry Settingshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd162409.aspx

> Note that this issue only happens if Outlook 2007 is installed and
> Outlook Express is set to be the default mail client. Also note that
> I'm not registering (via regsvr32.exe) my custom Redemption dll, I'm
> using registration free COM.

> Does anyone know which installer is responsible for maintaining
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem
> \MSMapiApps ?

> Thanks,
> jb


I see that the issue i just described is listed on Dmitry's FAQ as

item number 7:

http://www.dimastr.com/redemption/faq.htm#7
 
D

Dmitry Streblechenko

Actually AFAIK MSMapiApps registry key handles only executables, not dlls.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)

-

"Jeff" <budajeff@gmail.com> wrote in message

news:6b282093-426f-4844-8a09-82eec93186d8@s16g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

On May 27, 1:18 pm, Jeff <budaj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a couple more findings that I want to share w/ everyone.

> 1)
> Something in Redemption.dll changed between v3.4 and v4.5 that causes
> my original issue. Simply by switching to different versions of my
> custom Redemption dll, I was able to make the issue appear and
> disappear.

> 2)
> The solution to this issue is to add Redemption.dll (or your
> customized Redemption dll name) to the following registry key:

> Parent registry key name:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem
> \MSMapiApps

> New key Name:
> Redemption.dll (or your customized Redemption dll name)

> New key Data:
> "Microsoft Outlook"

> This will tell Windows to route all extended mapi calls coming from
> any process that has Redeption.dll loaded into memory to use the
> extended mapi routing information found at the following registry key:

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook

> My original problem was caused by Redemption's extended mapi calls to
> be routed to Outlook Express and not Outlook. Older version of
> Redemption seems to be unaffected by this.

> See the following for mapi call routing details:

> Explicitly Mapping MAPI Calls to MAPI
> DLLshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd162405.aspx

> Mapi32.dll Stub Registry
> Settingshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd162409.aspx

> Note that this issue only happens if Outlook 2007 is installed and
> Outlook Express is set to be the default mail client. Also note that
> I'm not registering (via regsvr32.exe) my custom Redemption dll, I'm
> using registration free COM.

> Does anyone know which installer is responsible for maintaining
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem
> \MSMapiApps ?

> Thanks,
> jb


I see that the issue i just described is listed on Dmitry's FAQ as

item number 7:

http://www.dimastr.com/redemption/faq.htm#7
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Retrieve data from GAL and put it in Clipboard Using Outlook 1
M Outlook VBA Macro that could retrieve/display the (From, Subject, Date Received) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N How to retrieve user defined fields values to bcm form. Using Outlook 2
F Auto retrieve wont work Using Outlook 1
Chris Smith Outlook 2013 will not retrieve my IMAP mail Using Outlook 1
4 VBA - How to retrieve Meetings Saved but Not Sent? Using Outlook 0
K Outlook favorite folder disappear, how do I retrieve it back? Using Outlook 0
I Retrieve amount of calendar availability and attachments automatically Using Outlook 2
G Cannot retrieve emails past 2 weeks old Exchange Server Administration 1
R Went from outlook 2003 to 2010 - can't retrieve active for contacts Using Outlook 0
X Exchange 2007 Outlook Anywhere Clients unable to retrieve GAL Using Outlook 9
G How to retrieve an email that was compacted in outlook Using Outlook 1
K Need to retrieve email address and password from Microsoft outlook! Using Outlook 1
D Not able to retrieve my emails or get to my contacts using outlook. Using Outlook 3
N All my inbox/junk e mails &amp; contact list have vanished. How can I retrieve them ? Using Outlook 2
B I deleted messages from my blackberry which included my outlook in box. How can I retrieve my deleted messages back to my in box? Using Outlook 1
B Retrieve all user emails from exchnage server 2010 AD Exchange Server Administration 2
L 30 days' worth of emails are gone in Outlook Express; cannot be found anywhere. Is there anyway I can retrieve them? Any help would be appreciated. Using Outlook 1
D I am able to send emails on Outlook, but unable to retrieve emails trying to come in. Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 Client - "unable to connect to retrieve additional data" for some Distribution lists Exchange Server Administration 7
S How do I retrieve Calendar files that have been archived? Using Outlook 6
S Retrieve messages Using Outlook 1
S Is it possible to retrieve Archived Folders in Outlook from Exchange 2007 after hard disk failure? Exchange Server Administration 8
N I file my mail into mail folders. I went to delete a message and deleted the entire folder...How or can I retrieve. It is not in DELETED mail folde Using Outlook 1
W How to retrieve the color categories I lost when I changed default data file? Using Outlook 2
J Client unable to retrieve mailbox Exchange Server Administration 2
K “Outlook is trying to retrieve data..." error. Using Outlook 1
K Unable to retrieve information from Exchange 2010 Public Folder after remove server replication Exchange Server Administration 16
4 Retrieve emails in Outlook Using Outlook 1
J how do i retrieve / import / download my old emails and contacts Using Outlook 2
J How can I retrieve data from an .ost file? Using Outlook 3
S Retrieve Sent Emails Using Outlook 1
S Switching from Outlook Express to Outlook 2010. How do I retrieve my old emails? Using Outlook 1
C retrieve stationary that was set up in my outlook 2003 mail Using Outlook 3
R How to retrieve lost contact list__ Using Outlook 1
S Outlook Users 50% resource and won't retrieve email Using Outlook 6
P Can I retrieve notes old from Outlook 2003 if I don't have Outlook 2003 on my computer now? Using Outlook 1
J retrieve emails from an exterior hard drive Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2003 - lost all data in profile, have been unable to retrieve anything Using Outlook 6
J Lost e-mail in middle of creating Can I retrieve it Using Outlook 2
N can I retrieve a sent email in hotmail? Using Outlook 2
P Retrieve Meeting Response Text Associated with an Appointment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P CDO MAPI Session failing to retrieve user name but Getexchage user Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Retrieve the Mails with the attachment names changed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
T Re: mailItem.HTMLBody should retrieve only current text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S The messaging interface has returned an unknown error Using Outlook 0
M Outllook 2000 - 2 Errors - The Information Service / The Messaging Interface Using Outlook 7
B Jetstess failes with "Error: Faulty performance counter paths: \Network Interface()\. " on Windows Exchange Server Administration 2
N Outlook problem: Messaging interface returned unknown error - Unknown error 0x8004060C - Outlook com Using Outlook 1
C Message Interface Error When Importing Pst Contacts Using Outlook 13
Similar threads


















































Top