Constant reindexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidWS

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Lately, every time I open up Outlook (2010), my contacts need to be reindexed. It does the reindexing, but then within a day or so, needs to do it again. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Very annoying since I have over 10,000 contacts and it takes about 20 minutes to reindex, during which time I cannot search.

Thanks

David

Good information. My question is slightly different. After having either a) allowed Outlook to reindex or b) forced a reindex, Outlook is fine for a few days to a week. I then find that a reindex is underway again.

My question is: What triggers the need to reindex? I have not found a source identifying the cause for this reindexing and if I can, hopefully I can control when that trigger occurs.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mark Mathias

Major changes to the data file - a lot of changes, could be edits, deletions, new mail. Do you sync with a smart phone or other device? That could trick the search engine into seeing changes that don't exist. Is just outlook re0indexing or the entire computer? If the computer is re0indexing, something could be corrupting the index.

Major changes to the data file - a lot of changes, could be edits, deletions, new mail. Do you sync with a smart phone or other device? That could trick the search engine into seeing changes that don't exist. Is just outlook re0indexing or the entire computer? If the computer is re0indexing, something could be corrupting the index.

Diane,

I do get a good number of emails (hundreds per day), but I wouldn't consider it extreme. I do have a couple of items that may be relevant here. I use Crashplan to backup my system. I do see my PST file for my personal POP3 account being read by the "shadowfilecopy" (?) service. I exclude my OST file for my Exchange account from backups.

I also use a tool called CompanionLink Professional to sync my calendars and contacts to Gmail accounts to subsequently sync Gmail <-> Android phone. But I don't sync directly from my laptop to my phone.

I can't tell if the entire computer is re-indexing or just Outlook. I do know that when I check in Outlook: Search Tools | Indexing Status ..., that's where I notice it indexing upwards of 300,000 items.

The other issue which would mitigate the problem somewhat is that when I do see Outlook reindexing, it will take 2 or 3 DAYS to index everything, even if I leave the computer on with nothing else running. It seems to index maybe 10,000 items per hour, which adds up when you're indexing 300,000 items. Any way to speed up the reindexing?

So I guess I have two questions:

First, how can I determine what is triggering the reindexing?; and

Second, when reindexing does occur, how can I speed it up?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Mark Mathias

I'm not aware of anyway to speed it up. I use companion link to sync google too and will watch more carefully to see if it causes it to re-index. I hadn't noticed but that doesn't mean anything. :)

I was just thinking that the issue existed well before I started using CompanionLink Pro, so I doubt it's the culprit.

Regards,
Mark Mathias

Does anyone reading this thread have a source of information I can tap regarding what triggers reindexing of Outlook files?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mark Mathias

Status
Not open for further replies.