Any PocketKnife Peek equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I've been using PocketKnife Peek for as long as I can remember, as it's a very useful tool to open suspicious mails in plain-text, and it also offers HTML viewer and viewing mail headers in an acceptable size window (as opposed to the default tiny field under Message Options...).

I see it's only available for 32-bit versions 2000-2013. Does anyone know of any worthy equivalent for this? I know there's a plain-text option in Trust Center, but that will only make all email open in plain-text, and you have to manually switch to HTML each time.

I have a macro that will display the header in a new message for easy reading.

It would be possible to copy HTML messages to a new message form - if you want to read the contents and don't use the reading pane - or drag it to the junk email folder - that always uses plain text. What we really need is a folder or view that is plain text only, like the junk mail folder.

I thought it was safe to view/delete the HTML emails without Pictures. And if it's legit, you click at the top to "Download Pictures".
Is that not the case any more? Or, are yall talking about something different?

It is safe -at least 99%... there is always the possibility that a hacker could find an unknown exploit. Microsoft really improved and secured the reading pane in the years since Pocketknife Peek debuted. But some people prefer reading in plain text - because it is 100% safe.

For me, peek's best feature was viewing the header in a decent sized box - not a little 5 line text box.

I was looking to see if there was a folder property on junk mail that could be copied to another folder so mail would be converted to plain text but haven't found it yet.

I'll try to learn without it, I see these things have improved a bit. However, I'm still fighting the "fatigue" from Office 2013 to Office 2021 migration. Outlook has been hit especially hard. They're making its elements less and less visually distinct every few years, while overcluttering the UI with unnecessary and changed parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.