EnableEvents, Outlook equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanooVisitor

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
1st an aside. When I searched for "EnableEvents" as an unregistered user, there were results from a Forum search. However, as a registered users, search says there are No results.
Back to the topic, in some other MS Office 2010 products (eg Excel), EnableEvents can be used in VBA to avert mayhem caused by changing something that a new event might also access. In Outlook there is a DoEvents, which suggests that it's model assumes an event handler may cause mayhem, and blocks events while in the handler.
Background. MSWin8.1, a user with multiple .pst and one .ost (Hotmail Connector) datafile. A few rules in effect at the UI level, but that mechanism is not fine-grained enough to handle inbound emails from sources that insist on sending unwanted advertising that is quite similar to paid-for content. Hence, somewhat involved processing in ItemAdd event handlers.

NanooVisitor

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
... in some other MS Office 2010 products (eg Excel), EnableEvents can be used in VBA to avert mayhem caused by changing something that a new event might also access. In Outlook there is a DoEvents, which suggests that it's model assumes an event handler may cause mayhem, and blocks events while in the handler.
Forgot to mention why I'm wondering. OLK2010 seems to be causing errors in all the .pst and .ost data files, fairly frequently. Doesn't seem to impact using Outlook, but is annoying to be ScanPST often; especially since multiple passes are required on each data file. Worse, the main .pst canNot be entirely cleaned up, since after two passes, ScanPST fails to display a Repair option.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'll look into the search problem. On the pst, repeated errors usually mean something is accessing the pst files (besides outlook). Third party sync software is the frequent culprit, a failing hard drive can also cause errors. You really shouldn't run scanpst all the time, just to see if there are errors - it's always going to have a few errors. When outlook loads it will check the pst and fix the errors, but if there are a lot, it will tell you to run scanpst.

For the spam filtering, you can use an itemadd macro or a run a script rule, if the junk filter or standard rules aren't sufficient.

I'm not sure I'd say doevents or enable events purpose is to avert mayhem...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NanooVisitor

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
... Third party sync software is the frequent culprit, a failing hard drive can also cause errors. ...
HardDrive is fairly new, and diagnostics indicate it is fine. No 3rd-party sync sw, but several 3rd-party COM Addin-Ins: 1) Classic Menu, 2) Redemption Helper.
I did notice several COM Add-Ins that are not in use, so will disable: 1) Microsoft Exchange Add-in, 2) Microsoft Outlook Social Connector, 3) Microsoft SharePoint Server Colleague Import, 4) OneNote Notes about Outlook Items.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
HardDrive is fairly new, and diagnostics indicate it is fine. No 3rd-party sync sw, but several 3rd-party COM Addin-Ins: 1) Classic Menu, 2) Redemption Helper.
I did notice several COM Add-Ins that are not in use, so will disable: 1) Microsoft Exchange Add-in, 2) Microsoft Outlook Social Connector, 3) Microsoft SharePoint Server Colleague Import, 4) OneNote Notes about Outlook Items.
The 4 from microsoft won't cause problems but if you aren't using those features, they can remain disabled. Classic menu shouldn't cause problems but I'm not sure how it is integrated either. Whatever installed redemption helper could be the cause, but it really depends on what installed it.

Scanning the pst using antivirus software can also cause errors in the pst.

NanooVisitor

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
DoEvents does not block any events, it's rather the opposite. See some details here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.application.doevents(v=vs.110).aspx

In some cases a DoEvents might be necessary, however, if you don't know what you do it rather adds to any mayhem as it can confuse the usual order of the events.

I only use DoEvents where something has been done in an event handler that seems likely to cause a DeadlyEmbrace. It would be better to determine that such a condition can occur, but that can be tricky.

NanooVisitor

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
The 4 from microsoft won't cause problems but if you aren't using those features, they can remain disabled. Classic menu shouldn't cause problems but I'm not sure how it is integrated either. Whatever installed redemption helper could be the cause, but it really depends on what installed it.

Scanning the pst using antivirus software can also cause errors in the pst.
I installed Redemption helper, to be able to look at mail item elements that Outlook security model blocks access to.
As to antivirus, the Win8.1 computer where the issues occur only uses Windows Defender (that MS says replaces MS Security Essentials, after Win7).

Michael Bauer

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
The Redemption Helper is an addition to the Redemption. You don't need the first in order to use the latter.

For testing I'd also disable classic menu.

NanooVisitor

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
The Redemption Helper is an addition to the Redemption. You don't need the first in order to use the latter.

For testing I'd also disable classic menu.
Classic Menu 6.0 got disabled inadvertently by installing MS EMET 5.1 . Update to Classic Menu 8.0 for Outlook 2010 resolved that problem.

NanooVisitor

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
I only use DoEvents where something has been done in an event handler that seems likely to cause a DeadlyEmbrace. It would be better to determine that such a condition can occur, but that can be tricky.
Turned out that, whatever had earlier implied a need for DoEvents, had been ObE. Not yet clear whether pulling DoEvents has cleared up causing errors in the *.pst and *.ost. However, it did resolve one oddity in the navigation pane, where back-tracking (<Alt><lt-arrow>) would not always retrace through folders visited -- DoEvents had likely been implicated in corrupting a list of folders that had been visited.

Status
Not open for further replies.