fetching blocked attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

raylward102

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I have adjusted windows registry to block certain attachments (xls, doc, xlsm, docm), so users won't accidentally, on auto pilot, execute an attachment, potentially harboring a malware. For those who are unaware, files carrying those extensions, can contain macro vba code. In my opinion, there's no reason to be using those formats via email.
With the registry block in place, the user sees the email has an attachment, but the contents of the message, prohibits user from accessing the attachment; instead a message is presented stating the attachment has been blocked.
This approach to blocking is effective, but, would like to be able to download these attachments to a folder. I had hoped to create a vba add-in, allowing user to see the blocking occur, but still allow them to download safely with my add-in; my add-in would save these attachments to a folder on the desktop, and open them via 'sandboxie' application; the 'sandboxie' application, basically allows you to open suspect, quarantined items, in a closed environment, that is scrapped as soon as you close the window; preventing any changes to the computer. I want to do this because, the users still have a need for viewing the content of these potentially harmful attachments, as some of them will be legitimate.
I realize, the windows registry is configured to block these attachments via the outlook user interface, but know the attachments are still physically present, in the outlook mail store (unblocking via windows registry returns access to these attachments).

The following code, downloads the attachments from the email message in focus; can anybody think of away to alter my code, so it can see blocked attachments. Currently, with blocking enabled, it does not see the attachments.

Code:
Public Sub saveAttachtoDisk()
    Dim objAtt As Outlook.Attachment
    Dim olMsg As Outlook.MailItem
    Dim strDate As String
    Dim strName As String
    Dim saveFolder As String
    Dim saveSubFolder As String
    Dim x As Long

saveFolder = Environ("userprofile") & "\desktop\BlockedAttachments\"
    Err.Clear
    On Error Resume Next
    'detect folder
    x = GetAttr(saveFolder)
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
        MkDir saveFolder
        Err.Clear
    End If

saveSubFolder = saveFolder & Month(Date) & "-" & Day(Date) & "-" & Year(Date) & "\"
    'detect folder
    x = GetAttr(saveSubFolder)
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
        MkDir saveSubFolder
        Err.Clear
    End If

Set olMsg = ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)
    For Each objAtt In olMsg.Attachments
        objAtt.SaveAsFile saveSubFolder & objAtt.FileName
    Next objAtt
lbl_Exit:
    Set objAtt = Nothing
    Set olMsg = Nothing
    Exit Sub
End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Emails fetching into Excel and auto generating Dashboard Using Outlook 2
Commodore Outlook 2007 stops fetching Facebook updates Using Outlook 5
T Junk Email does not get added to the Blocked Sender List Using Outlook 0
F Junk Email does not get added to the Blocked Sender List Using Outlook 4
GregS Outlook 365 blocked by Google popup Using Outlook 2
T How can we view Blocked email addresses Using Outlook 6
N Outlook 2010 Flag blocked for Safe Senders List???? Using Outlook 7
M Blocked Sender List @Domain Not Working Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Add to Safe (and Blocked) Senders for Users Using Outlook 0
R Blocked Top-Level Domain List Using Outlook 2
G Not able to send ANY emails due to a blocked list Using Outlook 2
M All e mails seem to be getting blocked BCM (Business Contact Manager) 7
N Blocked senders list disappears Using Outlook 4
D "Outlook has blocked access to this form template file. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Print email attachments when hit subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Saving Emails and Attachments as .msg file Using Outlook 3
KurtLass Opening Graphics Attachments in Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 0
F Outlook 2016 Email with attachments not being received Using Outlook 2
Commodore PDF attachments started to open in Edge Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2021 Cannot open attachments Outlook DeskTop 2021 Using Outlook 0
D ISOmacro to extract active mail senders name and email, CC, Subject line, and filename of attachments and import them into premade excel spread sheet Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to answer a mail with attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Print attachments automatically and move the mail to an existing folder called "Ted" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
G Schedule recurring email and attachments display Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
G Save and Rename Outlook Email Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Macro/VBA to Reply All, with the original attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Attachments.Delete Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Deleting attachments does not reduce file size Using Outlook 0
L unblocking attachments before sending Office 365 Advanced Protection Using Outlook 0
I Saving attachments from multiple emails and updating file name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Use an ItemAdd to Save Attachments on Arrival Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
shrydvd vba to secure zip attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
H Outlook 2016 sent over 30 copies of an e-mail with attachments Using Outlook 1
W Automatically open attachments without automatically printing them Using Outlook 0
O Save attachments using hotkey without changing attributes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Outlook converts sent email to txt attachments when sync Using Outlook 0
Nadine Rule to move attachments with specific name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Outlook is NOT removing attachments. Using Outlook 4
Dan_W Nested email attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Print email and, attachments sent in hyperlinks in the email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
W Save and rename outlook email attachments to include domain name & date received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
S DRAGGING MAIL AND ATTACHMENTS TO CALENDAR Using Outlook 1
D Print attachments automatically and moves the mail to a new folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
G Download pdf attachments only if email subject has one of words Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
D Saving Selected Emails as PDF and saving Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
R Quick Access view in File Explorer when saving attachments Using Outlook 0
J Save E-mail attachments in a specific folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
broadbander Needing help with reply/reply all while keeping attachments and adding a new CC recipient. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
I Forwarding attachments in email received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3