Time span on WebDAV published Calendars does not appear to be working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Foley

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I've published a webDAV calendar from Outlook 2010. My time span setting is previous 30 days through next 90 days. However, when I look at the actual .ics file published on the webDav server there are over 2600 entries with dates ranging from early 2010 to July of 2016 (7 months out).

Does the time span setting not really do anything?

How can I restrict this really? WebDAV subscribers are sucking in over 2MB of calendar data when they refresh, most of which is very outdated.(Yes, I could tell the calendar owner to delete old entries, but I think they want those for "documentation")

Are you publishing your default calendar or a secondary calendar? I know it used to work (a long, long time ago), but even then it seemed to add to the calendar, not remove older events. Day 1 would have 30 days, but day 60 would have all the old stuff + 30 days.

What WebDAV server are you using?

"Are you publishing your default calendar or a secondary calendar?"

Probably considered a secondary calendar. This one is the "Office Calendar", subscribed to by everyone in the office; not the original calendar. But we moved from Exchange to IMAP (hosted in-house) so even the personal calendars have been moved to .pst files on the shared drive.

"I know it used to work (a long, long time ago), but even then it seemed to add to the calendar, not remove older events. Day 1 would have 30 days, but day 60 would have all the old stuff + 30 days."

Hmmm, well we just started using the WebDAV server when we moved off of Exchange 10 months ago, and there are tons of events from 5+ years ago out there. So, our day 1 already had way more than the "previous 30".

Your saying "(a long long time ago)" implies to me the obsolecense of the WebDAV mechanism. Is there some other way of publishing sharable calendars with Outlook if not using Exchange and not using a cloud service?

(a long, long time ago)
a long, long time ago
"What WebDAV server are you using?"

Apache on Linux.

Not so much obsolescence but no need - my accounts are all in Office 365 now. I don't need subscribed calendars either - can add them to my OWA calendar and they sync down to outlook.

For many people, publishing became obsolete when Microsoft removed the office calendar server. When i last configured a WebDAV server (on IIS), it honored the limits. I know it works for default calendar - people complain to me about it (no idea what server is on the back end tho). It's possible the problem is with the server, but it also could be something in outlook. I have WebDAV enabled on a IIS server and will test it - if it works, then it might be the server.

Thanks for you quick response. Yes, please let me know what your testing shows. If this is a server responsibility, I can handle that with some programming on the server.

Our office is a public pension fund manager. We have Board rules, HIPAA concerns and such reasons to not put any correspondence, calendar events ("Board disability medical review for Joe Smith") and the like in the "Cloud". So, Office 365, outlook.com, Google calendar, etc. are not options.

When you write, "OWA calender", this mean some locally hosted or cloud flavor of Exchange , right?

OWA = exchange web access. In my case, it's office 365's exchange online. I'm not sure if subscribing works the same way in exchange 2013+ on-prem.

FWIW, office 365 is hippa compliant (and supports compliance for financial, legal, and other industries governed by regulations.)

"office 365 is hippa compliant" - good to know (as long as no one hacks in!). I'll pass this info on to management.

well, like everything, the weakest link is the end user - and that is going to be a problem anytime you allow access from outside of the network, including VPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back