Outlook cannot open/mail applet not enough resources

byteman

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Situation: New computer, new install of Office 2010 home & business, exchange 2003. Install of Office goes fine without any errors. Word/Excel/PP open and functional completely fine, no issues. Outlook, almost immediately gives an error like "Outlook cannot start" (or something to that effect). I then try to setup the users profile in the mail applet in control panel and upon clicking to open the applet get the message that it doesn't have enough memory or system resources. It doesn't open.

Details: New HP 6200 series computer (i3/3GB ram/250GB drive/Windows7 Pro 32-bit)... plenty of resources. Office 2010 product key card.

Done so far: I initially used the pre-installed office with the key card. I've since uninstalled completely, rebooted and downloaded a new file from Microsoft and re-installed from that, still no good. I have not even been able to make a profile nor open Outlook yet. Help!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Are you using a profile used in an older version? This error if often caused by a corrupt navigation pane file.

Try the solution from http://www.slipstick.com/problems/cant_start_outlook.asp:

Close Outlook. Using the Start search field on Vista or Windows7 Start menu or press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type or paste the following

outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Then press Enter (or OK button) to restart Outlook.

byteman

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
As I stated, I've not been able to open outlook yet... so how could the nave pane be corrupted? Anyway, I tried that with the same results "Cannot open Microsoft Outlook", also tried safe-mode. I think the problem is more with the mail applet not being able to open (if that's not working Outlook certainly won't). So, why would the mail applet give the memory/resources error if the computer is more than capable? (almost 2GB memory free, system managed page file). Plus it still does it on a full uninstall/re-install. There must be a rogue registry setting somewhere is all I can think of, but have not idea where to start looking!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
That's why I asked about using a profile from an older version - it doesn't make sense for a new profile.

Do you have Outlook configured to use compatibility mode? See Say No to compatibility mode if you don't know how to check. This is usually set by a windows troubleshooter.

Do you get an error message when you try to open the applet?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Also - one cause of out of resource error is a mapi mismatch - it's not common on old systems, so I can't see how it would be on new.

Some have had success deleting or renaming the windows messaging subsystem key - but we don't know why that key is bad to begin with.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem

Now, if you used Easy Transfer to move stuff to the new computer, that could be the cause....

byteman

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
didn't use compatibility mode, this is a fresh setup on a Windows domain, no transfer. I renamed that key and IT WORKED!!! it must have got funky during the original install and the key was obviously not deleted or remade upon uninstall/re-install... go figure.

Thanks Diane :)