[duplicates duplicates duplicates] please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vze2mp9g

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
This is an odd thing I ran into when I went to use my contacts. When I go to choose someone from my contacts, I have duplicate contact lists which are EMPTY. I knows this sounds odd, so I'm going to give you a screen shot of what I mean:

6-5-2013 3-08-21 PM.jpg

How can I DELETE these empty contact entries in my address book. I have no idea how this happened. My guess is that it could have happened when I used Apple's iCloud fro Windows.

Thank You :)

Go to the Folder list (Ctrl+6) - how many contacts folders do you see? I'm expecting 5 sources (1 contacts, plus linkedin, iCloud, accounts, business)

Go to File, Account Settings, Address book tab. Double click on outlook address book. How many are listed? I'm expecting you'll see your long list - Remove all of the ones labeled contacts. Close the dialog, go back to the contacts folders (either folder list or People pane) and right click on the Contacts folder, choose Properties then Outlook Address Book and enable it as an address book.

Go to the Folder list (Ctrl+6) - how many contacts folders do you see? I'm expecting 5 sources (1 contacts, plus linkedin, iCloud, accounts, business)

Yes, I believe that there are 6 EMPTY contact folders. This is the complete list:

Verizon On Line - Empty

Accounts - Verizon On Line - Empty

Business - Verizon On Line - Empty

Contacts - Verizon On Line - Empty

iCloud - Verizon On Line - This contains all my contacts

LinkedIn - Verizon On Line - This contains all my contacts from LinkedIn (This was something I didn't expect to see!)

Now, should my first one (Verizon On Line) have anything in it, what about the next two (Accounts and Business)?

Go to File, Account Settings, Address book tab. Double click on outlook address book. How many are listed? I'm expecting you'll see your long list - Remove all of the ones labeled contacts. Close the dialog, go back to the contacts folders (either folder list or People pane) and right click on the Contacts folder, choose Properties then Outlook Address Book and enable it as an address book.

When I go to the File, Account Settings, Address book tab and double click on the address book, I have several address books, and they are:

Accounts: Business Contact Manager

Business Contacts: Business Contact Manger

Contacts: AOL Mail

Contacts: Archives

Contacts: Google Mail

Contacts: Hot Mail

Contacts: iCloud

Contacts: iCloud

Contacts: Verizon On Line

Contacts: Yahoo Mail

LinkedIn: Verizon On Line

Can you guess which one(s) I should delete? See below for the screen shots:

6-5-2013 9-41-00 PM-1.jpg 6-5-2013 9-42-03 PM-2.jpg 6-5-2013 9-42-31 PM-3.jpg

This looks like a mess? I know! :eek:

Thank you, you've been a BIG help!

You can remove all from that list then go into the Contacts pane in Outlook, right click on the contacts folders, choose properties and enable as address books.

I'm guessing the empties belong to these -

Accounts and Business Contacts are from BCM.

You can remove all from that list then go into the Contacts pane in Outlook, right click on the contacts folders, choose properties and enable as address books.

I'm guessing the empties belong to these -

Accounts and Business Contacts are from BCM.

Yes, you are correct on all of them, but there are still more. I'm enclosing screen shots of what are the empty contacts and which ones are full.

5-Contacts.jpg 4-Contacts.jpg 6-Contacts.jpg 2-Contacts.jpg

I believe that pictures can better explain what is going on. I hope that you could find a way to correct (if possible) the minor problems. Lastly, is there a way to make just one of the contacts listed as my default, so when I go to send a message, Outlook won't take the first one on the list, which is my Verizon On Line.

Thank You.

David

Ok. Now i understand. You have a bunch of accounts/data files and the data files each have a contacts folder. You can't delete them from the navigation pane - i usually make a group and drag the unused ones into it.

In the address book, I would delete all from the list then go back into outlook and enable them as address book. Remove them from the Address book in this screenshot: https://forums.slipstick.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=692&d=1370730585&thumb=1 After you remove all of the lists from the address book, right click on the folders with contacts in them and choose Properties, Outlook Address Book and enable as address books so they show up when you click To.

I'm not sure why you have multiple linkedin and iCloud folders, you should only have one of each. The 'this computer only' folder could be removed by deleting the imap data file and letting outlook rebuild it - provided it is not set as default. Just make sure there are no appointments or tasks in there either.

Ok. Now i understand. You have a bunch of accounts/data files and the data files each have a contacts folder. You can't delete them from the navigation pane - i usually make a group and drag the unused ones into it.

Okay, this was easy to do. I've done this.

In the address book, I would delete all from the list then go back into outlook and enable them as address book. Remove them from the Address book in this screenshot: https://forums.slipstick.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=692&d=1370730585&thumb=1 After you remove all of the lists from the address book, right click on the folders with contacts in them and choose Properties, Outlook Address Book and enable as address books so they show up when you click To.

Do you mean DELETE THEM ALL! This sounds a little unsafe. See below of what I did so fare.
1-OLContacts-6-16-2013 12-39-57 PM.jpg

I'm not sure why you have multiple linkedin and iCloud folders, you should only have one of each. The 'this computer only' folder could be removed by deleting the imap data file and letting outlook rebuild it - provided it is not set as default. Just make sure there are no appointments or tasks in there either.

How do you set an Address Book as the "Default"?
2-OLContacts-6-16-2013 12-58-28 PM.jpg

Do you mean delete ALL these contacts?
3-OLContacts-6-16-2013 1-10-09 PM.jpg

I think I'm almost there! So you want me to delete all the Contacts above and how do I get Outlook 2013 to "Rebuild" the contacts?

Thank You.

oh, probably not. :) I've been mostly offline since Thursday when my webserver went down and the host was slow as bringing it up. I ended up moving it to a new site and it took longer than expected to get it set up. After 40 hours they got the server back... as soon as i make a new backup, the account will be canceled.

Delete the list in the last dialog - click the remove button. There isn't a default contacts (other than what is in your default data file) but you can set which address book should be shown first. That is set in Address book's tools, options (I think).

Okay, I did something different. That's why I've been away for a while, I decided to back up all my personal data (including all the PST OST and signature files) and copied my Users/David/ directory completely. Then I reinstalled Windows 7 SP1 and Office 2013. Then I put the PST file back first, everything good, except all my contacts were gone! But when I go to send an e-mail to someone who was in my contacts, it will automatically put their full e-mail address in, like if I did have my contacts still there. Now, is there a way for me to get by my contacts? If so how. Remember, I have a backup of everything in my users directory, so If I didn't copy the right file, I can always get it back from the backup.

I did go into my account settings and attempted to "Repair" it, but it didn't do too much. All I know is that the original PST file has everything in it except the signature(s). It kept all my rules, and filters, and everything except my contacts. PLEASE, tell me that I can get them back.

Lastly, I just got off line talking to my IP (Verizon), and I wanted to "Sync" my Outlook 2013 calendar with my online calendar similar to the way with the other online providers (Hotmail, Gmail, AOL, Yahoo, and Apple (iCloud)), and they told me if Outlook can support it, I should be able to do it with Verizon. Do you have any insight on this? I don't really think you would, but they had no idea, or at least that's the way it came across to me.

BTW, if I don't hear from you, I wish you and everyone on this Forum and safe and happy Forth of July! :cool:

So the contacts folder in the pst is empty? What other account types were in your profile?

Do you know who services Verizon's email? I know they used to use MSN but I don't know if they still do.

So the contacts folder in the pst is empty? What other account types were in your profile?

Yes, the contacts folder in the PST is empty, but, like I mentioned, when I go to type the first letter of a person who was in my contacts folder, Outlook will start to suggest people who were in my contacts folder.

Do you know who services Verizon's email? I know they used to use MSN but I don't know if they still do.

As far as who services Verizon's email, your guess is a good as mine. I would go with what you know, and say it's still MSN. IMHO, I don't even think that Verizon's first line of technical support people would even know that. The person I was in live chat didn't know to much about Outlook and how to integrate/sync their contacts & calendar with Outlook 2013. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my posting.

Thank You. :)

The answer really requires knowing who services the account - if the contacts and calendar are online there are only 2 ways to sync with outlook. EAS/Outlook Connector or Exchange Server. Any other mail server does not support sync - you need to export as a CSV and import into Outlook.

Can you post a screenshot of what you see when you log into the account's web access? What the interface looks like can give us a clue.

The answer really requires knowing who services the account - if the contacts and calendar are online there are only 2 ways to sync with outlook. EAS/Outlook Connector or Exchange Server. Any other mail server does not support sync - you need to export as a CSV and import into Outlook.

Okay, I'll try to do an online chat again and hopefully, someone will know what I am talking about, but it will sound like I'm talking in Latin to them. As far as sync with outlook, what is EAS/Outlook Connector? What I really would like to do is somehow rebuild my contacts from my PST file because as I type the first letter of the contact (who was in my contacts) it gives me suggestions of who I could mean. Is the contacts in the PST file, if not can you tell me where the contacts are because I made an exact copy of my complete users directory, including hidden and System directories/files. I'm just concerned in getting back my contacts from my PST file because I had 137 contacts with detailed information.

Can you post a screenshot of what you see when you log into the account's web access? What the interface looks like can give us a clue.

Okay, I'll post a screenshot of the account's (Verizon's) web site. There is no way for me to EXPORT, but I can IMPORT. Even the customer support/tech support person told me that there isn't an EXPORT function. He did say that if Outlook supports syncing of contacts & calendars, then Verizon has no problem doing it. Also, he gave me a different Outgoing Port (SMPT) and to use 465 and Use the following type of encrypted connections SSL.

I will, hopefully, get back to you tomorrow.

Thank You.

The port is just so outgoing mail gets sent - some networks block the use of 25 and 465 gets past the block.

The old default location of pst files was under the local appdata path - in Windows 7/8/vista, that is C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

It is a hidden file.

It sounds like the autocomplete cache is present but something happened to the contacts.

Outlook Connector is an addin Microsoft released that allows you to sync with Hotmail accounts (now Outlook.com). Outlook 2013 has support for Hotmail built in - using Exchange Active Sync (EAS).

Good luck with Verizon support. :)

The port is just so outgoing mail gets sent - some networks block the use of 25 and 465 gets past the block.

The old default location of pst files was under the local appdata path - in Windows 7/8/vista, that is C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

It is a hidden file.

I think you mistook me, the .OST files are in the C:\Users\UseName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook directory and the .PST files are in the E:\Users\UserName\Documents\Outlook Files directory with Windows vista/7/8, at least that's where they are in my system and I'm using Win7 SP1 Ultimate [32-bit].

It sounds like the autocomplete cache is present but something happened to the contacts.

Outlook Connector is an addin Microsoft released that allows you to sync with Hotmail accounts (now Outlook.com). Outlook 2013 has support for Hotmail built in - using Exchange Active Sync (EAS).

Good luck with Verizon support. :)

Am I correct in saying the contacts & calendar is IN the PST file and not separate in another folder?

As far as Outlook Connector, I have Outlook 2013, and do I need to get an addon to have support for Outlook/Hotmail, or do I need to set it up differently to use Exchange Active Sync?

Thanks for the support with Verizon, but all they gave me was the same old answer which you can find on line, setting it up as a POP3 account. I've included the screen shots that someone else requested of my settings on Verizon.com:

Verizon -1.png Verizon -2.png Verizon -3.png

see my next posting for more screen shots of Verizon On Line

More screen shots of my Verizon On Line settings :

Verizon -4.png Verizon -5.png Verizon -6.png

and my next posting for the final screen shot of my Verizon On Line Settings.

This is my last screen shot for my Verizon On Line e-mail account:

Verizon -7.jpg

One last thing for Diane, is there a way to get my contacts back from my PST file for Verizon?

Thank You.

David

I'm not sure what I was thinking. :) The paths you see are the new paths, as of outlook 2010.

Calendar and contacts are stored in the data files with email - in Outlook 2013 this can be in the Outlook.com data file, an IMAP data file, or a local pst file. If they are in an outlook.com data file, they will sync to the server. If they are in a POP# or IMAP data file, you won't sync. (I do not recommend using an IMAP folder because they could get lost too easily.)

The "junk" needed to sync outlook with Outlook 2013 is built in, you do not need anything extra.

It does not look like Verizon-branded Hotmail- it looks like some flavor of linux. That means you are limited to POP3 and need to export the contacts (and calendar) as CSV file to get them into Outlook.

I assume this is the instructions you use: http://www22.verizon.com/support/re...et/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/86782.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.