Manually Building DisplayName <emailaddr> No Longer Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringGeek

Outlook version
Outlook on the web
Email Account
POP3
Greetings, given a known good email address, for years I've been able to manually construct a display name by typing or pasting into the To: field. Let's say the email address is:
alias@domain.com
I could manually prepend with the display name of my choice, then bracket the email address with parentheses, less than/greater than signs, or brackets.

For example:
Display Name (alias@domain.com)
Display Name <alias@domain.com>

However, a few months ago, my efforts to do so started failing--the mail item bounced. If I remove the Display Name & brackets, & re-send using the raw email address, the mail item would not bounce (i.e., the address is good).

As I said, I had built such addresses for years without problem, & this used to work as recently as a few months ago on my current PC using the same Outlook client on O365. Now, however, I can expect all such efforts to bounce.

Note: I'm referring to the standalone client, not corporate email.

I could provide more details, but I'm sure this is something someone out there is familiar with.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Hornblower409 Automatically or Manually Backup Multiple Versions of VbaProject.OTM Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
HarvMan Archive Email Manually Using Outlook 1
K mark emails with colour manually (like in thunderbird) Using Outlook 1
Aussie Outlook 365 Rule runs manually but returns the error code "an unexpected error has occurred" when incoming mail arrives Using Outlook 1
David McKay VBA to manually forward using odd options Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L VB script only runs manually Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B Macro to manually move selected emails to network folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Diane Poremsky Manually create a POP3 account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
F Outbox - Multiple Emails need to be manually opened? Using Outlook 5
G Manually created Sent Items folder is lost Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 2010 manually actioning of send and receive? remove auto actioning Using Outlook 4
T Rules to run manually and NOT automatically ? Using Outlook 0
Q why this program doesn't work if Outlook is not manually launched? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
J 14 Steps To Building Your Bulk Emails So They Get Noticed Using Outlook 0
O building new contact form Using Outlook 1
V Difference between attachment displayname and filename Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
E Displayname of User Property Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
E Displayname of User Property Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7