What's the deal with fonts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Just as I came to terms with the fact that there's way too much white in Office 2013 (especially Outlook) -- at least we're not using 14" CRTs at 60 Hz refresh rate anymore -- I realized that the content fonts are displayed at a pretty low quality. And by "low" I mean the worst possible rendering ever (heck, even Commodore 64 was better :) ). They seem a little "blurred" (for the lack of a better word). It goes for plain-text email content using Calibri or Consolas, as well as HTML messages using Times New Roman (for example).

I searched the net for solutions, and from what I found out, this is also something we have to live with now (correct me if I'm wrong or if there is some magic setting I can use to make it better -- apart from using size 18 fonts instead of 9 or 10...).

I use Windows 7 -- is it the same on Windows 8 or is it better there?

(I do have ClearType well adjusted; interface fonts, as well as other programs' fonts, are more or less normal, but message content fonts in Outlook 2013 all seem to have this problem.)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I don't think Win8 will make it any better, disabling hardware graphics acceleration should fix it. There is a setting in word that might help too - go to File > Options > Advanced > Display and check the box for "Use subpixel positioning to smooth fonts on screen"

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I tried that already (along with Disable hardware graphics acceleration, or various on/off combinations of the two). It doesn't really do much, at least not on my system. Right now I have "Use subpixel..." checked and "Disable..." unchecked. Seems like another "one step forward, two steps back" thing we have to live with. :/

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
To warm up this ancient thread... is the situation any better in Outlook 2016?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
No, it's pretty much the same. 2016 adds a 'colorful' theme and tweaks the gray a bit, but it still looks pretty much the same as 2013 - white, now with a little color. The fonts here aren't fuzzy so i can't say if that will be fixed.

My only words of warning - you can't easily go back to 2013 if you upgrade - support will authorize it only for specific situations (using exchange 2007). That is as of today at least - they are considering an easy downgrade plan, one that is open to all and does not include a call to support.

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Fonts bug me most now, yes. Unless it's dependent on the video card.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'm guessing it's the video card. Or the screen resolution - i know icons tend to be a bit fuzzy at the higher zoom levels often used with high resolution screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.