Status
Not open for further replies.

MattC

Outlook version
Outlook 365 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi everyone. First time poster here.

Before I list my specific problem, here is a bit of background info: I just bought a new laptop, and the resolution of the screen is 1920 x 1080. In order for me to be able to clearly see the text on the screen at all, I had to increase the DPI in Windows 8.1 to the highest it would go.

So, now to my problem with Outlook 2007 -- sometimes in incoming email messages, it displays the font smaller than it should. Most emails appear just as they should, but on some, the font displays much smaller than the font is supposed to.

For instance, I received an email today, and the font that is being displayed is Calibri, size 8.5. (I know it is 8.5 because I copy & paste the text into Word 2007, and that is what it shows it as.) However, when I 'View Source', in the HTML code it lists Calibri, but size as 14.

I receive many emails from the two people this is happening with, and I don't think it's on their end, since the code shows a much bigger font size than what is being displayed. Any idea why Outlook would be displaying the wrong font size in these cases, and if so, any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks,

Matt

Zoom is listed at 100%.

When I create a new message, the default font is Ariel. But if I change it to Calibri and set it to size 14, it looks correct.

It's definitely an oddball - we've seen huge and tiny text due to zoom, antivirus scanners removing a period, so 14.0 becomes 140. But if the code says its 14 and its not, then its something else... if the font was damaged, outlook would use a substitute font (and not tell you) - it might be a little larger or smaller (12pt fonts are not all the same size) but it shouldn't be a drastic change.

Yes, it's definitely weird. I don't understand HTML code very well, so I'm wondering if there's something in there that is confusing Outlook. Here is the code in the first part of a message where the font looks too small.

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Windows-1252">
</head>
<body style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 14px; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; ">
<div>I salute you!</div>
<div><br>
</div>

And I've attached a screenshot of the message (with people's names and email addresses blacked out).

Do you see anything in the above code that would make the font appear smaller than it is supposed to?

Attachments

• email.jpg
    email.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 557
I wonder what CSS is formatting this:
<div>I salute you!</div>

The body default is 14... oh wait.... it's not 14 point, it's 14 pixels. 14pt is like 20 pixels - 14px is about 10 pt - 8.5 would be reasonable for some fonts.

OH. I didn't realize that 14 didn't mean 14 point. Thanks for that clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M All fonts in Outlook emails display with exaggerated character spacing Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible it set the fonts used to read incoming mail Using Outlook 25
L Ever notice that the fonts in Outlook seem to be depend on the build? Using Outlook 1
N Column view fonts Using Outlook 4
O Non-standard fonts - are they embedded? Using Outlook 2
T Incoming Mail Changes Fonts Using Outlook 0
L How to use different fonts for outgoing messages for different email accounts Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Just had to reinstall window 10 then Office and forgot how to control fonts sizes Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i How to set fonts for emails in all folders in Outlook Using Outlook 1
B Fonts in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2010 prints in small fonts Using Outlook 1
Commodore What's the deal with fonts Using Outlook 6
P Outlook Fonts not Sticking Using Outlook 10
D Point Size for Fonts in Custom Font Style (Outlook 2013) Using Outlook 0
E fonts suddenly bigger by 2x Using Outlook 3
B Fonts cut off when composing new email on outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
F How to change all incoming fonts to black? Using Outlook 3
J Saving recent colors used for fonts in an email? Using Outlook 1
K Default Fonts Using Outlook 9
T Text fonts changing when exchange syncs Using Outlook 0
CWM550 Wrong Date Using Outlook 4
L "Insert Pictures" Button-Wrong Folder Using Outlook 5
A manual rule sends mail to wrong folder Using Outlook 5
D Wrong email address in Outlook 2003 "From" tab in new outgoing emails Using Outlook 4
M Something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed Using Outlook 1
L Correct E-Mail Pulling Wrong Mail Using Outlook 5
C Outlook Autocomplete suggestions showing wrong person's name against an email address Using Outlook 0
B Sharing Outlook calendars gone wrong Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2007 printing wrong email address at top of page Using Outlook 8
S Meeting Invite arrives from Wrong ("send-as") Sender Using Outlook 1
N Copies of emails from rules have wrong from: account Using Outlook 0
A Replies being sent from wrong account Using Outlook 8
W Sending To Wrong Account Using Outlook 15
icacream Rule based on sender / wrong sender sent to folder Using Outlook 7
Z Outlook for G Suite emails showing wrong dates Using Outlook 4
C How to avoid sending mail to the wrong contact person Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Warn before sending messages to the wrong email address Using Outlook 1
M Messages in Outbox reminder is wrong Using Outlook 4
R Correct a wrong csv export file from WLM 2012 Using Outlook 0
J BCM 2013 displays wrong form for account and business contact BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
R OL2010 - Send to Mail Recipient going to wrong account Using Outlook 1
B you are not responding to the latest message - wrong email Using Outlook 1
E Recurred tasks are created with a wrong due date Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky The calendar shows the wrong day at the beginning or end of the month Using Outlook 0
J Calendar search failing & wrong indexlocation showing..OL2010 Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is something wrong with my themes Using Outlook 3
G Wrong display name in from column when removing pf replication Exchange Server Administration 1
Commodore Wrapping and wrong encoding Using Outlook 2
G Onding e-mail with wrong signature Using Outlook 0
O BCM Dbase Issues (both not seeing dbase & not allowing restore for wrong owner BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2