alter the timeout for how long outlook looks for a content-server on an HTML-email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdoe

no - this is not about timeouts when contacting mail servers.

instead, here's the scenario - you have a beautiful, richly-formatted and image-containing HTML email in your inbox that's trying to pull part of its content from a web-server somewhere...

BUT: for whatever reason that server is unreacheable. this results in the whole program locking up for a LONG TIME, where nothing can be done. i didn't time it exactly, but i guess 2 or 3 minutes before OL stops trying and let's you continue. and if you have preview enabled this 2-3 minutes happens every time you scroll through that message in your inbox.

wouldn't it be neat if we could tell outlook to only try 5 or 10 seconds before giving up?

yups. hosts is not really an option - we don't know where the faulting email is gon' come next from, and we also don't want to prevent viewing the website of said sender sometime in the future when his/her server is back up.

so this 2 mins is hard-coded somewhere - not adjustible by some hack?

It's a network timeout - it might be configurable, but would affect all network traffic, not just outlook.

if the key doesn't exist, it should use the default - try adding the keys / values and reboot - see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M I'd like to alter the appointment balloons. Possible? Using Outlook 6
J WshShell.Popup does't timeout Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
K 0x8004210A Timeout waiting for response Using Outlook 0
K BCM Reports: Timeout Expired BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
D Create advanced search (email) via VBA with LONG QUERY (>1024 char) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H In outlook 365 POP mail Inbox, email takes a long time or never arrives. Using Outlook 1
C Long List Of Outlook 2016/Outlook.com Bugs // Where To Report? Using Outlook 10
I vba scrip to move emails based on long keywords list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Chris Grew How Long To Install BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
T Forwarded long email moves text to the right Using Outlook 1
N Outlook 2010 take long time in send / receive Using Outlook 1
G Opening messages takes too long Using Outlook 5
H Changing Organizer of event (for single to total calendar move; long way ) Exchange Server Administration 4
X Send & receive takes SO LONG Using Outlook 1
S How long it may take for 'Move all Replicas' from Exchange 03 to Exchange 10 Exchange Server Administration 0
R Long delay for outgoing mail Using Outlook 2
A Eseutil File Dump fails in the path to the file is too long... Exchange Server Administration 2
Q Outlook 2007 Add-in Bug with with Exchange - Long explanation Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2