very slow attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjohn888jb

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I have a colleague with Outlook 2010 on an i7 with Windows 7. When he attaches a file (from the network or local) it takes 6 to 10 seconds to complete the attachment. I created a 2nd profile on his computer, configured the Outlook to the same pop3 and imported his exported pst file. Attached to the same network share, the attachments are immediate. I tried Outlook in safe mode on the original setup but it's still slow. I have found if I drag the attachments from Windows Explorer instead of using the Outlook "attach file" the attachments are instantaneous. I told the SEP to not scan, but that did not help. Any ideas of what else I can do to troubleshoot this? Is there a way to change what Outlook uses to attach a file (for instance using explorer instead)? I tried running Process explorer and Process monitor, but there is just too much information to see what is causing this.

larry

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
The usual cause is mapped drives, but it if it works in a second outlook profile, that wouldn't make sense - unless the second profile was a windows profile and the network drive wasn't mapped.

bigjohn888jb

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
The second profile also had the same mapping to their Windows 2012 server. I even changed the mapping to using the server ip address as opposed to it name. (\\192.168.1.7\data).

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I think it's somehow related to the network drives but I'm not sure exactly what. As larry mentioned, mapped drives cause this problem - Outlook tries to ping to every drive when you add or save attachments and I think it's having problems in the one profile.

bigjohn888jb

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Interestingly I found that if you open Windows Explorer, find the attachment on the network, and drag it to the email that is already open, it is instantaneous. It's only slow if you use the attach option.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Right - because outlook isn't looking at the network drives when you do outside of outlook. I don't understand why it worked ok in one windows account but not in the original account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Outlook 2003 sending large attachments going very slow or not at all. Using Outlook 2
N Outlook is very slow Using Outlook 0
S Adding new Exchange (2016) rule very slow down Microsoft Outlook Exchange Server Administration 0
D Very slow when digitally signed Exchange Server Administration 0
M Very slow operation Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2010 Very Slow To Open Recently Using Outlook 9
B Outlook suddenly very slow Using Outlook 4
P Oulook 2010 very slow Using Outlook 2
M BCM 2010 Link to Record (very) slow BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
B Switching folders is very slow Using Outlook 2
B Very slow performace when switching between mail folders. Using Outlook 4
B Outlook 2007 is very slow to switch between mail, contacts, and calendar. Using Outlook 2
F update 2412171 made my outlook run slow, very Email removed for privacy Using Outlook 6
B Re: Outlook is VERY slow. I have 207,000 local failures and growing fast. Using Outlook 3
L Outlook 2010 "Send/Receive" Ribbon very slow Using Outlook 6
M Shared Calenders very slow, Exchange 2007 with Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
P The export process to the .pst files very slow with New-MailboxExportRequest Exchange Server Administration 7
E Re: LDAP search is very slow with Outlook 2007 running on Windows 7 Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010 with Exchange 2k3 back end running VERY VERY slow... Using Outlook 1
E LDAP search is very slow with Outlook 2007 running on Windows 7 Using Outlook 1
E LDAP search is very slow with Outlook 2007 running on Windows 7 Using Outlook 5
N Exchnage 2010 Outlook WEB acccess is very very slow Exchange Server Administration 1
H Printing an email is very slow to activate printer Using Outlook 1
7 Exchange 2010 sp1 mailbox, hub, cas roles and w3wp.exe / very slow Exchange Server Administration 6
R Why is my "send/receive" [e]-mail option running so slow? Sometimes it runs very smoothly, but most Using Outlook 1
L All OL 2010 functions hang or are very slow. Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2010 very slow and hangs Using Outlook 2
L Outlook 2010 very slow and hangs Using Outlook 2
P outlook 2010 getting message into outbox very slow Using Outlook 2
A Outlook very slow to respond Using Outlook 1
H Very slow response in connecting Outlook with Exchange 2003 server Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2010 Very slow paste. Using Outlook 2
R Attaching Documents to Emails Is Very Slow Using Outlook 1
J My email OUTLOOK operation has suddenly become very slow. I have followed all diagnostic checks which report ok. Nothing seems to be able to fix it. H Using Outlook 1
A Outlook work very 'slow' after 2007 to 2010 transition Exchange Server Administration 6
J Exchange 2010 EMC very slow Exchange Server Administration 6
M outlook 2007 very slow to insert UNC hyperlink on windows 7 professional ... please help Using Outlook 7
C Outlook 2003 very slow to open Using Outlook 5
J VBA Outlook : Subject line : Cut and Paste name to heading , number to very end of the body of Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D [TOOL] QuickModules to sort emails very quickly to multiple folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Sudden change in From field - now very short Using Outlook 4
GregS Very Confusing PST/OST message Using Outlook 2
X Help with custom form which is very similar to Tasks Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
P Outlook 2010 Font on Reply Email is Very Small Ruler Will Not Extend Using Outlook 2
W Auto changing "You" at start of sentence...very frustrating! Using Outlook 4
G VERY Old Calendars have reappeared? Exchange Server Administration 0
B Some emails print very small Using Outlook 5
B Outlook opens but will not display a home page. I can't see anything except the very top toolbar____ Using Outlook 1
B Images in Outlook 2007 appear very slowly Using Outlook 3
H Switching to a New Computer - My Very Strange Experience!!! Using Outlook 2