very slow attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjohn888jb

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I have a colleague with Outlook 2010 on an i7 with Windows 7. When he attaches a file (from the network or local) it takes 6 to 10 seconds to complete the attachment. I created a 2nd profile on his computer, configured the Outlook to the same pop3 and imported his exported pst file. Attached to the same network share, the attachments are immediate. I tried Outlook in safe mode on the original setup but it's still slow. I have found if I drag the attachments from Windows Explorer instead of using the Outlook "attach file" the attachments are instantaneous. I told the SEP to not scan, but that did not help. Any ideas of what else I can do to troubleshoot this? Is there a way to change what Outlook uses to attach a file (for instance using explorer instead)? I tried running Process explorer and Process monitor, but there is just too much information to see what is causing this.

The usual cause is mapped drives, but it if it works in a second outlook profile, that wouldn't make sense - unless the second profile was a windows profile and the network drive wasn't mapped.

The second profile also had the same mapping to their Windows 2012 server. I even changed the mapping to using the server ip address as opposed to it name. (\\192.168.1.7\data).

I think it's somehow related to the network drives but I'm not sure exactly what. As larry mentioned, mapped drives cause this problem - Outlook tries to ping to every drive when you add or save attachments and I think it's having problems in the one profile.

Interestingly I found that if you open Windows Explorer, find the attachment on the network, and drag it to the email that is already open, it is instantaneous. It's only slow if you use the attach option.

Right - because outlook isn't looking at the network drives when you do outside of outlook. I don't understand why it worked ok in one windows account but not in the original account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Outlook is very slow Using Outlook 0
S Adding new Exchange (2016) rule very slow down Microsoft Outlook Exchange Server Administration 0
D Very slow when digitally signed Exchange Server Administration 0
M Very slow operation Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2010 Very Slow To Open Recently Using Outlook 9
B Outlook suddenly very slow Using Outlook 4
P Oulook 2010 very slow Using Outlook 2
M BCM 2010 Link to Record (very) slow BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
C Outlook 2003 very slow to open Using Outlook 5
Retired Geek Outlook for the MAC with Yahoo accounts now very broken Using Outlook 9
J VBA Outlook : Subject line : Cut and Paste name to heading , number to very end of the body of Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D [TOOL] QuickModules to sort emails very quickly to multiple folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Sudden change in From field - now very short Using Outlook 4
GregS Very Confusing PST/OST message Using Outlook 2
X Help with custom form which is very similar to Tasks Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
P Outlook 2010 Font on Reply Email is Very Small Ruler Will Not Extend Using Outlook 2
W Auto changing "You" at start of sentence...very frustrating! Using Outlook 4
Commodore Slow calendar Using Outlook 0
M Ignore slow add-ins Using Outlook 0
1 Opens Slow Using Outlook 4
M Slow VBA macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Cdub27 Move Outlook 2016 Contacts to Other Folders - Extremely Slow !! Using Outlook 6
Diane Poremsky Office for Mac: Insider Fast and Slow Builds Using Outlook 0
R Slow character rendering after Hebrew used Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2016 and Slow access to Outlook.com IMAP Using Outlook 0
Sarge USMC troubleshooting slow startup Using Outlook 6
I Outlook 03 slow startup Using Outlook 5
R Exchange 2013/Outlook 2010 Slow Startups Exchange Server Administration 8
B Outlook 2013 slow or no receipt of emails Using Outlook 0
R Slow Calendar Synch Between Outlook 2013 and iCloud Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2000 slow Using Outlook 2
B Slow to receive emails on Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 35
Z "Mark All as Read" in Outlook 2007 extremely slow Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2007 - Slow opening folders when inserting attachments Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2010 slow with Yahoo IMAP Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010, super slow! IMAP issue I think Using Outlook 1
M bcm painfully slow BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Print email attachments when hit subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Saving Emails and Attachments as .msg file Using Outlook 3
KurtLass Opening Graphics Attachments in Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 0
F Outlook 2016 Email with attachments not being received Using Outlook 2
Commodore PDF attachments started to open in Edge Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2021 Cannot open attachments Outlook DeskTop 2021 Using Outlook 0
D ISOmacro to extract active mail senders name and email, CC, Subject line, and filename of attachments and import them into premade excel spread sheet Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to answer a mail with attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Print attachments automatically and move the mail to an existing folder called "Ted" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
G Schedule recurring email and attachments display Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
G Save and Rename Outlook Email Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Macro/VBA to Reply All, with the original attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2