Outlook 2010 Very Slow To Open Recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerJon

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
I have been experiencing very slooooooow launch times (90 - 120 seconds) over the past few months. I am not familiar with any new software that could be causing this. I run Ccleaner and Ad- Aware fairly regularly (ever other week or so). Any suggestions. Oh, Win 7 32 bit.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
How big is your pst file? Do you have any addins or utilities that might be using Outlook data? If outlook doesn't close "cleanly", it checks the pst file for errors when it re-opens. I'm guessing this is the problem. Sync utilities are probably the most common cause, including iTunes or iCloud.

FWIW, we don't recommend using ccleaner and similar products because they are known to mess up the office keys and outlook profile.

TigerJon

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Diane,

Thank you for your reply. Two questions:

1. How can I check the size of my pst file?

2. I am using an Apple sync tool that I have had installed for about two years. Should I just uninstall and reinstall it? Also, is there a way to sync with my idevices without needing the sync tool?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Assuming you are using the default data file location for Outlook 2007, open Windows Explorer, type or paste %localappdata%\Microsoft\outlook into the address bar of windows explorer and press Enter. You can see the data file size there.

I would not uninstall the tool. Maybe reinstall it over itself, just in case an update (or ccleaner) did something to affect it.

TigerJon

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Diane,

1. How can I check the size of my .
Diane,

1. How can I check the size of my pst file?

2. I am using an Apple sync tool that I have had installed for about two years. Should I just uninstall and reinstall it? Also, is there a way to sync with my idevices without needing the sync tool?
I don't even remember where I got the sync client. Does cnet offer it?

TigerJon

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Diane,

It is CodeTwo. If I reinstall it, do you know if it will duplicate all of my contacts and appointments?

-Jon

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
It shouldn't, but it might. Export your calendar and contacts from outlook so you have a clean, no duplicate backup then reinstall it.

katey

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am having the same problem. If my pst file is large how do I make it smaller. We don't delete emails we just make folders for the older emails in years/quarters

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The only way to reduce the size of a pst is to delete the mail or archive it to a new pst file. Once its archived, Outlook will compact the pst when the computer is idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.