Status
Not open for further replies.

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hello everyone,
I just found out that my email address from Cableone is discontinuing email service in the upcoming year. For someone who has had a cableone email address for so many years I forget when I first got it, has to be 15-20 years ago. You can imagine how freaked out I am just finding this out, everyone I have communications with, banks, other business's etc. and friends and now I have to find another email service, then let everyone know. sound like fun NOT!!!!!

Okay now the good news, I have had a Gmail account for several years which will become my new email address. I want to start the change out now rather than wait for the 60 day notice cableone
( SparkLight) will be giving customers.

I have outlook 2010 and tried to setup my Gmail account and it didn't work is there a recent tutorial on how to setup Gmail on Outlook 2010.

On another note I want to revisit if it is worth upgrading to a newer version of Outlook. I only use it for personal use so I don't want to go to Office 365 and pay monthly. I'd rather buy a Outlook client that is a flat fee and doesn't have to be renewed every year as my Outlook 2010 is. I own a license for office 2013 but I don't like the pastel colors so I never installed it. So here are my questions about a new Outlook or new Office

In Outlook 2010 when dialog boxes open they are so tiny the older I get the harder it is to see. It has always been this way. is there a newer version that doesn't have the pastel colors or at least give me a choice not to use them and is the interface and dialog boxes easier to see?

I know I just asked 2 completely different questions but if I have to go through this change if there is a better Office product that is better than 2010 other than 365 I'd like to look at the choices.

Thanks in advance
Ron

Hello everyone,
I just found out that my email address from Cableone is discontinuing email service in the upcoming year. For someone who has had a cableone email address for so many years I forget when I first got it, has to be 15-20 years ago. You can imagine how freaked out I am just finding this out, everyone I have communications with, banks, other business's etc. and friends and now I have to find another email service, then let everyone know. sound like fun NOT!!!!!

Okay now the good news, I have had a Gmail account for several years which will become my new email address. I want to start the change out now rather than wait for the 60 day notice cableone
( SparkLight) will be giving customers.

I have outlook 2010 and tried to setup my Gmail account and it didn't work is there a recent tutorial on how to setup Gmail on Outlook 2010.

On another note I want to revisit if it is worth upgrading to a newer version of Outlook. I only use it for personal use so I don't want to go to Office 365 and pay monthly. I'd rather buy a Outlook client that is a flat fee and doesn't have to be renewed every year as my Outlook 2010 is. I own a license for office 2013 but I don't like the pastel colors so I never installed it. So here are my questions about a new Outlook or new Office

In Outlook 2010 when dialog boxes open they are so tiny the older I get the harder it is to see. It has always been this way. is there a newer version that doesn't have the pastel colors or at least give me a choice not to use them and is the interface and dialog boxes easier to see?

I know I just asked 2 completely different questions but if I have to go through this change if there is a better Office product that is better than 2010 other than 365 I'd like to look at the choices.

Thanks in advance
Ron
UPDATE***
I was able to find how to setup Gmail in Outlook 2010 and researched all versions of Outlook and once again even though I want to upgrade 2010 seems to be the best fit for me.

Auto account setup normally works great for gmail but it might add it as a pop account in 2010.... so manual setup would be needed.

Unless you use exchange or want to have the latest and greatest, 2010 is fine. :) If you would be getting the retial version, not subscription, wait a few months - the next version should be out in a few months.

Auto account setup normally works great for gmail but it might add it as a pop account in 2010.... so manual setup would be needed.

Unless you use exchange or want to have the latest and greatest, 2010 is fine. :) If you would be getting the retial version, not subscription, wait a few months - the next version should be out in a few months.
Thanks for your reply,
when I tried to do the auto account it would fail due to not being able to connect to an encrypted server and asked if I wanted to continue with a unencrypted connection, I chose no. I found a tutorial that explained how to fix it and it worked so now I have everything working fine.

when reading your reply I was left with questions,
As far as an exchange, I have never used one and don't really know how they work. So I am not interested in an exchange.

How would I get the latest and greatest 2010 and how is it different than my version now?

We you talk about a retail version I assume you mean the newest version after 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.