Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 no longer (?) shrinks large images

RBLampert

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Here's an odd problem with Outlook 2010. It seems to me that the software used to shrink large size/full resolution images down to fit whatever window an e-mail was being displayed in. For the past six months or so, it hasn't, so when a blogger I follow uses images in her posts, which she does a lot, sometimes the images are so large that even when the e-mail window is expanded to full screen width, the image doesn't fit. Worse, the accompanying lines of text run the full width of the image, so I have to keep scrolling back and forth to read the text.

Now it gets stranger. If I go to the blogger's web site and read the problem post there, the images are sized appropriately, around 600 X 400 pixels.

I've contacted the blogger and she has no idea what's going on.

I've looked through all the settings I can think of and there's nothing that lets me control the software to resize the images.

Is there anything either the blogger or I can do to fix this problem, or even just make it not such a pain?

I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 with the latest updates.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
if you save the pictures from the blog and open them, are they the expected size? Do the pictures in the email appear stretched or pixelated?

It's easy to tell a web page to display a picture at a small size when in reality the image is huge. If the pics have a high ppi, they will look huge on a normal monitor. For example, a screenshot from my 4K resolution laptop has a dpi of 288 - its huge on my desktop. If i change the ppi to 96 it's a normal size.

RBLampert

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hi, Diane. Apologies for the delayed response.

I'm not sure what you mean by "expected size" but when I opened them in either of a couple of image processing programs, they did not appear unusually large or small. In the e-mail the images do not appear stretched, pixelated, or otherwise distorted. Unfortunately, I could not get ppi or dpi data when I saved some test images, but the horizontal dimensions of the three ranged from about 800 to 1024 pixels. Curiously, another image that fit easily in the e-mail was 500 pixels across and did provide resolution data (72 dpi).

I'm guessing that the author of these posts is not reducing the image sizes to about 400 pixels wide, which would better ensure the images wouldn't get ridiculously large on the screen. I did that with hi-res images on my own blog and not only did that make everything fit just right, it also made for a HUGE reduction in the size of the files. Do you think that's what I should recommend to her?

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
when I opened them in either of a couple of image processing programs, they did not appear unusually large or small.
that's what i wanted to know.

On the website....
the images are sized appropriately, around 600 X 400 pixels.
The copies you opened in an editor...
horizontal dimensions of the three ranged from about 800 to 1024 pixels.
It sounds like she is using full size images and controlling them using height & width in the html.

I'm guessing that the author of these posts is not reducing the image sizes to about 400 pixels wide, which would better ensure the images wouldn't get ridiculously large on the screen. I did that with hi-res images on my own blog and not only did that make everything fit just right, it also made for a HUGE reduction in the size of the files. Do you think that's what I should recommend to her?
I probably would make the recommendation, but it would also depend on my level of friendship. Using right-sized images can make a huge difference in how fast a page loads, which can improve SEO and google page rank.

Many put smaller versions of the image on the page and link a larger version to it... that gives you the best of both worlds- a right-sized picture and a higher quality/larger image for those who want it.

Email images diffidently should be sized - i'd say probably 500 - 600 wide max would work well for most recipients - it will fit nicely in the reading pane or a bowser window.

RBLampert

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
that's what i wanted to know.

On the website....

The copies you opened in an editor...

It sounds like she is using full size images and controlling them using height & width in the html.

I probably would make the recommendation, but it would also depend on my level of friendship. Using right-sized images can make a huge difference in how fast a page loads, which can improve SEO and google page rank.

Many put smaller versions of the image on the page and link a larger version to it... that gives you the best of both worlds- a right-sized picture and a higher quality/larger image for those who want it.

Email images diffidently should be sized - i'd say probably 500 - 600 wide max would work well for most recipients - it will fit nicely in the reading pane or a bowser window.
Thanks, Diane. This is what I wanted to know. The blogger in question has been looking for a solution to this issue too, so I think she'll be receptive to your suggestion.