Is there a good third party SPAM filter that intergrates with Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I have tried Spam Bully and it was good but they haven't updated the software in many years now, Spamfigghter is rated #1 but I have had issues with it 3 times.

I use to get maybe 1 SPAM a day and I just delete it, something happened lately and now I get 3 an hour, I know the Junk filter in Outlook 2010 is not the greatest or may not even work. Is there a good SPAM filter that integrates with Outlook 2010, By "integrates" I mean does it put buttons in the Outlook interface?

I don't like the ones like mailwasher, I don't want to open two programs to get my mail, any help will be appreciated very much.

It's recommended to enable spam filtering on the server if your provider supports it. That is the best way going forward, as the filter will no longer be updated in outlook and it gets rid of the spam before you download it.

That said, the latest security update appears to have broken spam filtering, which could account for your problems, if they used to go to junk and now don't - otherwise, the spammers are just more active.

As far as client side filtering, i haven't tested any in a long time as my server filters spam before i get it.

It's recommended to enable spam filtering on the server if your provider supports it. That is the best way going forward, as the filter will no longer be updated in outlook and it gets rid of the spam before you download it.

That said, the latest security update appears to have broken spam filtering, which could account for your problems, if they used to go to junk and now don't - otherwise, the spammers are just more active.

As far as client side filtering, i haven't tested any in a long time as my server filters spam before i get it.
I have my server set to the highest I can, so I guess I have to delete unopened emails 50 times a day now.

That's bad... one thing that i noticed last week was the spammers are using SPF records, not random smtp servers, so it's a few less points awarded by the spam filters. There isn't a good way to combat that - i ended up blocking .us TLD so the bulk of it would go into the junk folder. (Almost all of the spam was from .us domains - all plain text, all formatted like spam from the 90's)

That's bad... one thing that i noticed last week was the spammers are using SPF records, not random smtp servers, so it's a few less points awarded by the spam filters. There isn't a good way to combat that - i ended up blocking .us TLD so the bulk of it would go into the junk folder. (Almost all of the spam was from .us domains - all plain text, all formatted like spam from the 90's)

What you said you do sounds like it would work as good as possible, the problem is I know nothing about the terms you used. would be too much asking you to give a tutorial how you fight SPAM.

The problem with fighting spam is it keeps changing and we keep playing catch up... if the spam is from the same TLD, you can use rules (or try the blocked list - but it may not be working).

For the rule, use sender address contains .us (or whatever the tld is - obviously won't work for common ones you converse with) - move it to the junk folder so you can review the mail.
junk-rule.png

To add to it the blocked list, go to junk mail settings, international tab and find the problematic TLDs. For .name and other new TLDs, add the domains to the blocked sender list as .name

block-trade.png

Some version of Sue's Method would work - Rules and Tools to Filter Junk Mail - the only problem i see with it is that you'll still get spam sent only to you (one of the rules applies to mail sent to you - may need to drop that condition since spammers are getting better about sending only to "you").

These are the urls for all this spam I am getting, I can't see how I can even start to control this???

outlook.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.