Online 3rd party backup of Office 365 cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len Raphael

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
All this cloud backup is starting to get costly. I use Intronis (now Barracuda) for backing up Windows server, but its too expensive for my nas or even frequent image backups. I'm going to try Cloudberry and Amazon S3 or Glacier for those. I used Glacier via Cloud Berry now for my nas and I've restored files several times without a problem.

Cloudberry also has an app to backup Office 365 cloud data. Anyone use it or similar ones? The built in archiving and retention is not so good at searching.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Yeah, backing up TB of online data is expensive. Are you restoring backups because you needed to recover data or just to see if they worked?

This is an Office 365 Business/Enterprise account? I'm not sure I'd bother backing up what is already on the cloud. You can set SharePoint to keep versions and keep deleted items (and recover deleted items) for 30 days or more. You can set policies so nothing can be deleted from Outlook. If you use OneDrive for business, users can have TB of their own data.

We backup local data - SQL / MySQL databases, web sites, document folders, etc, but not the entire drive or even other folders, like downloads. Email is in Office 365 Exchange Online, we don't back that up. We don't backup onedrive (consumer or business). We keep 10 days of routine backups + most out of band SQL/MySQL backups.

Len Raphael

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
This is Office 365 E3. Does the Sharepoint versioning cover all Office 365 items? How hard to find something to restore?

My impression is that even litigation hold doesn't retain contacts, personal or public. And if it does, you would have to restore contact by contact if you deleted an entire contacts folder.

OneNote versioning seems pretty good. Haven't tried fat finger deleting and trying to recover yet.

Len Raphael

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Please elaborate on "You can set SharePoint to keep versions and keep deleted items (and recover deleted items) for 30 days or more."

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I missed this message earlier (spammers are good for something :)). Versioning is enabled by default in sharepoint. You need to log into sharepoint document library in a browser to access the versions.

this computer doesn't have my "click stamps" in snagit, but you'll click or right click on the 3 dots to open the dialogs or menus to access versions.

versions.png

Len Raphael

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I see the versioning for OneNote and Sharepoint. I don't see it for Contacts or Calendar. The Cloudberry Office 365 backup to your own Amazon S3 or Azure etc. is pretty reasonably priced. Easy enough to find items and restore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T take online survey Outlook Wishlist 0
A .restrict results changing after moving to Exchange online Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Office 365 - Online Repair vs. Uninstall Reinstall Using Outlook 1
R Chancing / remove “ something ” in the subject, online archive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
J VBA to switch Outlook online/offline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Brian Murphy Exchange Online Everything a Transport Rule should do and cannot Exchange Server Administration 1
Fozzie Bear Office 365 Home Premium with Exchange Online email accounts Using Outlook 3
J Outlook - 2013 - Error msg when copying folders from Online Archives to another user's mailbox Using Outlook 0
S Outlook [Online - Office365] perfomance is getting affected when accessing the mails using Redemptio Using Outlook 1
T Online Training for Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Online Services in Outlook: Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, AOL, GoDaddy New Slipstick.com Articles 1
oliv- "Online mode with Exchange server" vs "online" Exchange Server Administration 2
R Enable Office 365 Exchange Online Archive New Slipstick.com Articles 0
R Creating a Room Mailbox with Exchange Online Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Enable Office 365 Exchange Online Archive Using Outlook 6
G Linked (online) signature images Using Outlook 5
T Consollidating all calendars to Outlook online, even from POP3 email invitations. Using Outlook 2
Thomas Young Using On-Premises Exchange with Exchange Online Protection Exchange Server Administration 2
V Installing Apps from MS Online Store Using Outlook 5
J 2010 duplicate mailboxes, exchange online vs app data folder. Using Outlook 2
M There was a problem importing your contacts. (Online with Hotmail) Using Outlook 1
I Lync2010 - Outlook 2010 - Plan online meeting Using Outlook 2
P Exchange 2010 - Outlook 2010 : Search in Online Archive not working Exchange Server Administration 3
K Exchange 2007 user can't receive mails without going offline and then online again Using Outlook 8
J Online Archive / Auto Archive functionality Exchange Server Administration 3
P i am currently working offline and need to get back online Using Outlook 1
P i am currently working offline and need to get back online Using Outlook 1
C Online Archive Support MS Office 2010 Professional Using Outlook 2
K Viewing email online help please Using Outlook 1
A The cluster network name is not online Exchange 2010 sp1 DAG Exchange Server Administration 8
F Oulook 2010 (on exchange 2010): "Cannot open this item" after search in online archive on indexed ma Using Outlook 2
J Having problems subscribing to my Outlook calendar online Using Outlook 3
V Permissions to Online Archive Exchange Server Administration 1
F Adding an additional mailbox so it comes up in online mode Using Outlook 2
M My Outlook stopped receiving emails but they still send (and my hotmail is working online fine).__ Using Outlook 1
K online archive missing Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 11
A Switching from Offline to Online in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
B Retention policy for online archive itself. Exchange Server Administration 1
P MS Office 2010 my preferences is set on OFFLINE at the moment, how do I change it back to ONLINE Using Outlook 2
B purchased 2010 office and downloaded on a new netbook last night. trying to set up email on exchange server and get not online not connected. is there Using Outlook 1
J Easy archiving certain message in online archive? Outlook 2010 and exchange 2010 sp1 Exchange Server Administration 5
D 'microsoft office not online' Using Outlook 2
M Cluster IP failed and Cluster Network Name is not online Exchange Server Administration 17
A Syncing Outlook 2007 calendars - online to offline Using Outlook 1
S Restoring "Work online" to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
M Toggle from Offline to online Using Outlook 1
K Cannot see online archive with Outlook 2007 / Office 2007 SBE Exchange Server Administration 8
B The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complet Using Outlook 6
M MS Exchange Online Service Exchange Server Administration 4
A when I start outlook i get a message 'the connection to the microsoft echange is unavailable. outlook must be connected or online to complete thi Using Outlook 4