Online 3rd party backup of Office 365 cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len Raphael

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
All this cloud backup is starting to get costly. I use Intronis (now Barracuda) for backing up Windows server, but its too expensive for my nas or even frequent image backups. I'm going to try Cloudberry and Amazon S3 or Glacier for those. I used Glacier via Cloud Berry now for my nas and I've restored files several times without a problem.

Cloudberry also has an app to backup Office 365 cloud data. Anyone use it or similar ones? The built in archiving and retention is not so good at searching.

Yeah, backing up TB of online data is expensive. Are you restoring backups because you needed to recover data or just to see if they worked?

This is an Office 365 Business/Enterprise account? I'm not sure I'd bother backing up what is already on the cloud. You can set SharePoint to keep versions and keep deleted items (and recover deleted items) for 30 days or more. You can set policies so nothing can be deleted from Outlook. If you use OneDrive for business, users can have TB of their own data.

We backup local data - SQL / MySQL databases, web sites, document folders, etc, but not the entire drive or even other folders, like downloads. Email is in Office 365 Exchange Online, we don't back that up. We don't backup onedrive (consumer or business). We keep 10 days of routine backups + most out of band SQL/MySQL backups.

This is Office 365 E3. Does the Sharepoint versioning cover all Office 365 items? How hard to find something to restore?

My impression is that even litigation hold doesn't retain contacts, personal or public. And if it does, you would have to restore contact by contact if you deleted an entire contacts folder.

OneNote versioning seems pretty good. Haven't tried fat finger deleting and trying to recover yet.

Please elaborate on "You can set SharePoint to keep versions and keep deleted items (and recover deleted items) for 30 days or more."

I missed this message earlier (spammers are good for something :)). Versioning is enabled by default in sharepoint. You need to log into sharepoint document library in a browser to access the versions.

this computer doesn't have my "click stamps" in snagit, but you'll click or right click on the 3 dots to open the dialogs or menus to access versions.

versions.png

I see the versioning for OneNote and Sharepoint. I don't see it for Contacts or Calendar. The Cloudberry Office 365 backup to your own Amazon S3 or Azure etc. is pretty reasonably priced. Easy enough to find items and restore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Online Mode to Cached Exchange Mode problem Using Outlook 2
Z New minimum Outlook for Windows version requirements for Microsoft 365/Exchange Online Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 27
Commodore Automatic switch between working offline/online Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 with O365 / Exchange Online Using Outlook 0
A .restrict results changing after moving to Exchange online Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Office 365 - Online Repair vs. Uninstall Reinstall Using Outlook 1
R Chancing / remove “ something ” in the subject, online archive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
J VBA to switch Outlook online/offline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Brian Murphy Exchange Online Everything a Transport Rule should do and cannot Exchange Server Administration 1
Fozzie Bear Office 365 Home Premium with Exchange Online email accounts Using Outlook 3
J Outlook - 2013 - Error msg when copying folders from Online Archives to another user's mailbox Using Outlook 0
S Outlook [Online - Office365] perfomance is getting affected when accessing the mails using Redemptio Using Outlook 1
T Online Training for Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Online Services in Outlook: Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, AOL, GoDaddy Using Outlook 1
oliv- "Online mode with Exchange server" vs "online" Exchange Server Administration 2
R Enable Office 365 Exchange Online Archive Using Outlook 0
R Creating a Room Mailbox with Exchange Online Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Enable Office 365 Exchange Online Archive Using Outlook 6
Diane Poremsky Cut the Clutter: Using Exchange Online’s Clutter Folder Using Outlook 0
G Linked (online) signature images Using Outlook 5
T Consollidating all calendars to Outlook online, even from POP3 email invitations. Using Outlook 2
Thomas Young Using On-Premises Exchange with Exchange Online Protection Exchange Server Administration 2
V Installing Apps from MS Online Store Using Outlook 5
J 2010 duplicate mailboxes, exchange online vs app data folder. Using Outlook 2
M Change from working offline to online Using Outlook 2
I Displaying my Online/Offline Status BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
Y hosting BCM database at office online / workspace BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
N Can business contact manager be hosted online? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
M 3rd Party Certificate now Security Alert Exchange Server Administration 2
L 3rd party tools to recover deleted Office 365 contacts etc Using Outlook 7
Commodore Access to contacts, calendar, tasks... from 3rd party applications Using Outlook 2
G Adding 3rd-Party Add-In to Home Ribbon in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
G 3rd email account shows 15 emails but nothing there? Using Outlook 2
L Setting up recurring meeting for every thursday except 3rd thursday Using Outlook 3
O Integration with 3rd-party controls Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Outlook 365 How to integrate a third-party app with Outlook to track email and sms? Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is there a good third party SPAM filter that intergrates with Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
O Third-party VSTO 2005 SE plug-in for Outlook 2007: what should I signwith a publisher certificate? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3