Thinking about making the plunge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWM030

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I am thinking about making the plunge to exchange. I dont like how my current provider gives me no control over spam.

I really dont care for gsuite apps.

What are the +/- of exchange?

Ps Diane when you set up your own domain, years ago, what made you pick exchange? Was it because you were certified in Microsoft products? Or just that you liked it over all other providers at that time?

Diane when you set up your own domain, years ago, what made you pick exchange?
Mostly because i needed to know more about it (wasn't certified in it at the time) - i also wanted the features (syncing, calendar share, etc). I'm on office 365 now for both business and personal domains.

The pluses, especially if you go with office 365 which is as low as $4/ month per mailbox (no skype, onedrive etc) is huge mailbox quota - 50GB for the basic plans, 100Gb to unlimited for the more expensive plans. Better sync with smartphones and multiple computers. A decent web access interface for those times you need it. The ability to share calendar and contacts with hubby - Exchange mailboxes can also store files, so i can drop a word doc or pdf in a folder in his mailbox (pdf manuals beat listening to him whine when he cant find the mower manual :)). Office 365 has a nice wizard, so most people can set it up with little or no assistance.

Exchange supports shared mailboxes, distribution groups and other features that might not seem valuable to a single user or small business but it's handy to give out an address that is not your main one (and easily killed if necessary) and collect the mail separate from your mailbox. And they are free...

The only con IMHO is the cost - $48 US a year isn't bad for one person but if you need mailboxes for spouse or kids it can get pricy.

See, I already pay for office 2016... The combined Office2016 + exchange is 15.00.. But if I understood it correctly. It says it offers offers office as a downloadable install, power point and access but word and excel is webbased only? Thats dumb.

"Web versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (desktop versions of applications not included) "

Compare Microsoft Exchange Online Plans

I agree, extra mailboxes add up very quickly.

The 12.50 for 1 yr commitment can be paid monthly...
It says it offers offers office as a downloadable install, power point and access but word and excel is webbased only? Thats dumb.

The "pc only" part is for Mac users - those apps are not available on the mac. Otherwise, if you use Windows, you'll get the full office suite, which includes publisher and access applications. both Windows and Mac can use the online versions of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Onenote. (Outlook on the web comes with the mailbox.) If you use a smartphone or tablet, you'll also get the mobile versions of Office.

Everything here is installed on Windows. Everything but the last two would be installed on Mac.
2018-04-25_16-50-40.png

This is what my Office subscription installed on my desktop - it's an E3 subscription, but the software is the same as in the Business Premium plan.

2018-04-25_16-53-51.png

Everything here is installed on Windows. Everything but the last two would be installed on Mac.
View attachment 2297

This is what my Office subscription installed on my desktop - it's an E3 subscription, but the software is the same as in the Business Premium plan.

View attachment 2298

Oh that's good that the 12.50 can be paid monthly.

E3 would be the 12.50?

E3 would be the 12.50?
No, an E3 is on the enterprise side - its $20/month. The $12.50 plan is Business Premium. It has many of the same service features as the E3 but is missing some enterprise features available in E3. (The business side has some features, like outlook customer manager and invoicing).

The software is the same for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.