Status
Not open for further replies.

NickO

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hello,

I am trying to create a script that will open a highlighted e-mail and allow me to use the "Actions", "Edit Message" function to type "Done and Today's date" is sounds simple to me but I have been unable to find anything. Maybe my searching is really bad ;). Any and all help would be great! Thanks.

The process we are going through is the following: an e-mail is sent to an inbox with a needed journal entry to be input. Once the journal entry has been completed we open the e-mail, use actions, select edit message, and type "Done and Today's date".

Here is the action I am trying to perform.
1536249236233.png

If more information is needed, please let me know. I am trying to do all of this in Outlook 2016.

Thank you!

Does anyone know a script that will open the current selected e-mail? Just trying to get a start on this as I cannot find anything.

Thanks!

Hi NickO

In terms of the first part of your question (how to work with the selected outlook mailitem), the best function I've come across is actually available on the Slipstick blog: GetCurrentItem

Code:
Function GetCurrentItem() As Object
    Dim objApp As Outlook.Application

Set objApp = Application
    On Error Resume Next

Select Case TypeName(objApp.ActiveWindow)
        Case "Explorer"
            Set GetCurrentItem = objApp.ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)
        Case "Inspector"
            Set GetCurrentItem = objApp.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
    End Select

Set objApp = Nothing
End Function

As for the second part of your question, where in the email were you hoping to have that written? If, for example, you wanted to add the following text - "[DONE - 21-05-2018]" - in front of the existing subject of the email, you could use the following code:

Code:
Sub EditMyMessage()
    Dim objItem As Object
    Set objItem = GetCurrentItem

If objItem.Class = olMail Then
        objItem.Subject = "[DONE - " & Format(Now, "dd-mm-yyyy") & "] " & objItem.Subject
        objItem.Save
    Else
        'Do something
    End If

Set objItem = Nothing
End Sub

NB: please note that this subroutine will save the changes to the email automatically, so you should do some trial-and-error on sample emails to make sure it is working correctly.

I hope that helps.

Dan

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you Dan. I have been trying the code off an on and I finally got it put into the correct order and it is working beautifully! Thank you so much! I have moved the "edited comment" to the body of the e-mail, but the original code you put together is great, thank you so much!

You're very welcome. I'm glad I was able to to help (and, more importantly, that it actually worked)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Outlook Rules VBA Run a Script - Multiple Rules Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
FryW Need help modifying a VBA script for in coming emails to auto set custom reminder time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A VBA Script - Print Date between first email in Category X and last email in Category Y Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L Modifying VBA script to delay running macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L Need help modifying a VBA script for emails stuck in Outbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
D.Moore VBA script fail after Office 365 update Using Outlook 8
S Change VBA script to send HTML email instead of text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
dweller Outlook 2010 Rule Ignores VBA Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Outlook Archive to PST Files by Date Range VBA Script? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Peter H Williams Enable script containing VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
R VBA Script Quick Parts Using Outlook 1
Q VBA Script to move item in secondary mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N VBA Script to Send Automatic Emails from Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O modify vba to run it as script rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
P How many subs can run in one outlook VBA script Using Outlook 5
J Email Parsing VBA Script for Outlook - NEEDED Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
P Vba script including macro appears in rules but wont run Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
R Adding vba to script list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
F VBA script to highlight specific words Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D VBA Script to extract text matching specific criteria Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D VBA Script (Ask to where to save send mail) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M VBA script to allow mail merges of distribution groups? Using Outlook 7
D VBA script to auto download attachments and rename file according to subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 23
Hudas Outlook VBA script reverting back to previous changes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Outlook 2007 Rules & VBA: How to run a script on a report message (ReportItem) Using Outlook 14
V "Accept + Send the Response now", VBA script? Using Outlook 1
R Addins4Outlook TagIt! addin script or VBA module? Using Outlook 2
S Outlook VBA rule script to process both MailItem and MeetingItem Using Outlook 0
A VBA Script to Forward Spam to AntiSpam Provider Using "Blank" Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L Limit VBA Script to one Outlook account Using Outlook 1
H using VBA to edit subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G Get current open draft message body from VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Geldner Problem submitting SPAM using Outlook VBA Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook 2016 outlook vba to look into shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
V VBA Categories unrelated to visible calendar and Visual appointment Categories Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Outlook VBA forward the selected email to the original sender’s email ID (including the email used in TO, CC Field) from the email chain Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Outlook 365 VBA AUTO SEND WITH DELAY FOR EACH EMAIL Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Outlook 2019 VBA to List Meetings in Rooms Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
geoffnoakes Counting and/or listing fired reminders via VBA Using Outlook 1
O VBA - Regex - remove double line spacing Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D.Moore Strange VBA error Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Modify VBA to create a RULE to block multiple messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Outlook 2021 Using vba code to delete all my spamfolders not only the default one. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
K vba code to auto download email into a specific folder in local hard disk as and when any new email arrives in Inbox/subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D VBA - unable to set rule condition 'on this computer only' Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
L Fetch, edit and forward an email with VBA outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
BartH VBA no longer working in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
W Can vba(for outlook) do these 2 things or not? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
MattC Changing the font of an email with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1